2018 Renault Sport F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2018 Renault Sport F1 Team

Team: Renault Sport F1 Team
Base: Enstone, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Carlos Ghosn, Jérome Stoll, Cyril Abiteboule, Alain Prost
Technical director(s): Bob Bell

Race drivers:
27 Image Nico Hulkenberg
55 Image Carlos Sainz Jr.

Test drivers : Sergey Sirotkin

Chassis: RS18
Engine: Renault V6 Turbo

2017 position: 6th (57 pts)

ImageImage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is to discuss the 2018 Renault Sport F1 TEAM
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Re: 2018 Renault Sport F1 Team

In 2018 Renault should begin to be very competitive, both with the PU and the chasis. Their improvement though 2017 has been clear and now they have a truly strong pair. They should next season´s surprise.

Oscar2603

I'd be disappointed if they weren't at least beating Force India regularly, and sometimes challenging RBR.

Fowks

Oscar2603 wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 19:27
I'd be disappointed if they weren't at least beating Force India regularly, and sometimes challenging RBR.
Maybe until spain not, but then probably...

dren

Vasconia wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 09:38
In 2018 Renault should begin to be very competitive, both with the PU and the chasis. Their improvement though 2017 has been clear and now they have a truly strong pair. They should next season´s surprise.
I don't think they'll be a surprise. As a works team, it's expected of them, especially with that pair of drivers.
Honda!

Vasconia

dren wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 17:32
Vasconia wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 09:38
I don't think they'll be a surprise. As a works team, it's expected of them, especially with that pair of drivers.
It depends of what do you expect from them. McLaren should be more competitive but if Renault is faster I could consider them a surprise.

Webber2011

Nothing but PR spin in this article as far as I'm concerned.

How about they seriously address the fact their reliability is shite, and they are down on power, instead of moaning about being 10 years behind ?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13396 ... ind-rivals

Manoah2u

It's typical Abiteboul BS.

first he claimed the team was suffering the consequences of something Flavio Briatore supposedly did ages before.
now he's claiming NOTHING essentially happened in the years they were 'gone'.

in other words, not taking responsibility. Renault pulled the plug not long after the crashgate incident, and now act like Lotus/Genii did essentially nothing. LOL.
Lotus actually managed to grab regular podiums with Kimi and Grosjean, even a win with Kimi. Something as far as last year concerned, Abiteboul could only DREAM of,
something they couldn't even manage in baku.

Cyril, time to shut your french tartehole and fix Renault's reliability, and make sure you get a proper chassis. then let's talk about supposed being behind.
I wonder how long Abiteboul is going to last if results don't come in.

because in the end, they can moan about this supposed facility talk all they want, but a team like Haas that came in from scratch beat them without a sweat in 2016. Force India, with far less financial backing, beat them by milennia.
for 2017, haas was only 10 points behind, and force india still miles and miles ahead.

i hate it when teams start defending themselves for failures. just accept that you didn't do what you wanted, and simply say it. "we didn't achieve the goals we wanted, we're stepping up our game, making investmenst to renew and improve our facilities wich will result in improvement now and in the long term."
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

everythingisawesome

Not a fan of Cyril at all.
Looking forward to seeing Renault step it up next year, it's going to be tough up front with the likes of McLaren and Redbull

McHonda

Webber2011 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 12:56

How about they seriously address the fact their reliability is shite, and they are down on power, instead of moaning about being 10 years behind ?

He's talking about the works team infrastructure and personnel and those take time to build and fill, it's not about the engine. And he also happens to be right that since Renault pulled the plug Enstone stopped growing and upgrading under different leadership and didn't keep up with the other big teams investment and that's something they've had to put right since they took back over. You can't be expected to compete straight away as a big team if you're facilities are the same as 10 years ago.

Those upgrades to infrastructure are nearly done, which is great and has been done quickly, and they're going from 400 staff to 700 by the end of the year.

Once they've got everything in place if they're still where they are it's excuse making but they're basically where Mercedes were at the end of 2011 beginning of 2012 infrastructure and personnel wise. There's no magic switch to speed this building process up and be immediately competing with the big teams, it takes time and investment to build.

Engine wise they have no excuses of course and PR spin around that is annoying but I honestly think works team/Enstone wise they have plenty of good reasons as to why they're not winning yet and having out of date facilities (For a top team) is perfectly valid so I don't see the fuss.

Webber2011

McHonda wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 21:37
Webber2011 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 12:56

He's talking about the works team infrastructure and personnel and those take time to build and fill, it's not about the engine. And he also happens to be right that since Renault pulled the plug Enstone stopped growing and upgrading under different leadership and didn't keep up with the other big teams investment and that's something they've had to put right since they took back over. You can't be expected to compete straight away as a big team if you're facilities are the same as 10 years ago.

Those upgrades to infrastructure are nearly done, which is great and has been done quickly, and they're going from 400 staff to 700 by the end of the year.

Once they've got everything in place if they're still where they are it's excuse making but they're basically where Mercedes were at the end of 2011 beginning of 2012 infrastructure and personnel wise. There's no magic switch to speed this building process up and be immediately competing with the big teams, it takes time and investment to build.

Engine wise they have no excuses of course and PR spin around that is annoying but I honestly think works team/Enstone wise they have plenty of good reasons as to why they're not winning yet and having out of date facilities (For a top team) is perfectly valid so I don't see the fuss.
Maybe I wasn't in the best of moods last night, my post did come across as being a little harsh.

Raleigh

Haas brought a pair of Dallara built 2015/2016 Ferraris and went racing. Renault brought Lotus and got the 2015 car to use for 2016.

There’s a big difference between buying an updated version of a car that won races the year before and running a year old lower midfield car with arguably a worse engine.

Renault has lost out because of the Lotus years and especially all the money and talent which left the team after Kimi moved to Ferrari, they can have all the money in the world and a works team budget but it will still take a few years to built back up to running at the front.

NathanOlder

If you brought something from a shop, does that mean you go there with every intention to bry something ? And when you hand over the cash, are you at that moment brying ?

Sorry, couldn't help my self, one my friends uses "brought" all the time, and it really bugs me.

On the last post though, it shows for short term steady results, it would appear very easy to do, if you have no ambition to win.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Blackout

All in all Abiteboul is right and is telling the truth. Autosport, f1 racing and other people that have visited Enstone told the same.
Even FI and Williams were in better shape than Enstone in 2015-2016 and also in 2017... Because stability and foundations are very very important.
2017 is not a failure.

The 2016 Renault PU wasn't worse than the 2015 Merc PU all in all. The RS16 was primarily a patched up and underdeveloped E23 which has been designed around a Merc PU in 2014-2015 and has been hastily modified in December and January 2015-2016 to accommodate the completely different Renault. It had no streamlined internal bodywork too and even kept the 2015 gearbox... So it was an old compromised design in every area... And despite that it was actually often faster than the E23 even when you put the 2016 tire factor aside.
The car was a mess, not the PU.

Between 470-500 people (less than Williams) worked on that E23bis in a rusty factory that lacked people, some facilities and even raw material.
The same people built the 2017 car at the same time in that same factory in the first half of 2016 but around 100-120 people joined them gradually and helped them. And the factory came back to life gradually too in the second half of 2016.
The RS17 project started much later than the other competitors, in those conditions...
So the others got a longer lead time for 2017, and better established staff and facilities. Which is a huge advantage.
And if the other teams spend 90% od their money on their cars chasing performance, Renault has spent much less than that because Enstone and Viry were had the priority.

2017 is not a failure. The Renault is the car that made the biggest jump between 2016 and 2017 (not a miracle if your read what i just said) but also between Melbourne ans Yas. The team has achieved all of it's realistic objectives (finish 6th - become 4th fastest) and if they missed the too ambitious target (5th constructor), it's also/mainly because of the lack of a 2nd driver.
The chassis and the team's unreliability is normal for this stage. The PU and dyno problems are surprising.

So this teams should be exponentially stronger in 2018... in theory. But the big teams, including Mclaren should still have the upper hand in 2018 because they'll remain bigger, on paper.

Redragon

It looks that Renault haven't learned the leason, allowimg Carlos Sainz to race in Montecarlo Rally, hopefully is not another Kubica case