Renault R.S.18 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Renault R.S.18 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2018 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Topic will be unlocked after the season finisher in Abu Dhabi.
#AeroFrodo

humble sabot

Re: Renault R.S.18 Speculation Thread

Nobody?
How far the mighty have fallen it seems. Should the lack of speculation be taken as pessimism, or just total lack of interest in Renault as a team?
I'd expect them to be the source of at least a couple of the innovations emblematic of the year. They usually do.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Zynerji

Could surprise and be the underdog.

Cyril says they are still rebuilding. Nobody, including them, think they will set the world on fire in 2018.

f1316

I’d not be at all surprised by a couple of podiums this year; Hulkenberg was knocking on Red Bull’s door in quali a couple of times last year, and if they can improve their issues with drag (someone posted a great article on this somewhere on the forum) I see no reason they can’t be close to RB and McLaren.

The rest depends on the PU but even with exact specification equality with the customers, they should still be in the best position to optimise chassis integration of the PU, so still have an advantage as the manufacturer.

I also think their driver lineup is very strong, with both guys still desperate (particular Hulk) for a breakthrough podium, so really interested to see how both fare if they end up in a straight fight with the established leaders. I suspect they’d be very good.

carisi2k

I expect the RS18 to be fighting with McLaren, Toro Rosso (if the Honda engine improvements are real), the pink panthers and Williams for the 7th position on the grid. All of this depends on the Renault engine being reliable of course and how good the Honda engine is in the STR13. The chassis of Williams and the force pink panthers will also be a determining factor.

wesley123

humble sabot wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 03:07
Nobody?
How far the mighty have fallen it seems. Should the lack of speculation be taken as pessimism, or just total lack of interest in Renault as a team?
I'd expect them to be the source of at least a couple of the innovations emblematic of the year. They usually do.
There is simply little to say about the Renault. The most important thing for 2018 would be to fix the reliability, the pace was certainly there in the second half of 2017.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

GM7

Still yellow but with a french flag :D I'm quite sure this is the RS17 by the way, even if there is the Halo on it !

Blackout

It's very different. Not the RS17.
Strange FI-like airbox (very thick), different sidepods...

GM7

Maybe you're right, the mirrors look much thinner too :?:

lawnmower

there is a fluctuation. new s-channel or new suspensions? and sidepods look a bit different

Mercedes-like airbox and mirrors are thinner

Vladimir

That could be only free ilustration. Sidepodes are too tight for curent regulations.

f1316

Hell, maybe they’ve bucked the trend and said: “what difference does it make if we *do* show a glimpse of the real car? Not like it shows anything anyone can copy!”

We can dream!

GM7

You can't compare the two pictures side by side, this isn't the same point of view, look how much we can see the rear wheels on the teaser. There is no bargeboard on this teaser so the picture have been modified.

lawnmower

GM7 wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 21:49
You can't compare the two pictures side by side, this isn't the same point of view, look how much we can see the rear wheels on the teaser. There is no bargeboard on this teaser so the picture have been modified.

You're right, but AirBox seems to be different. I can not comment on sidepods

Blackout

lawnmower wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 20:01
Mercedes-like airbox and mirrors are thinner
Much more FI-like https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/amp ... -vjm10.jpg