Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
OO7
OO7

Re: Honda Power Unit

Wazari wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 01:03
I don't live on cloud number 9 but I hear it is a nice neighborhood. "Ever" meaning under this current PU formula (2020). We now have a very good idea what the other 3 have been doing with regards to what people are calling "TJI" although it's really not TJI but similar, and what HRD will bring with it's on unique combustion process that cannot be easily duplicated.
Wazari, what makes you believe Mercedes for instance are using a similar process to TJI rather than "it's on unique combustion process that cannot be easily duplicated."?
Last edited by OO7 on 28 Jan 2018, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Wazari wrote:

I don't live on cloud number 9 but I hear it is a nice neighborhood. "Ever" meaning under this current PU formula (2020). We now have a very good idea what the other 3 have been doing with regards to what people are calling "TJI"although it's really not TJI but similar, and what HRD will bring with it's on unique combustion process that cannot be easily duplicated.
What is it that you think the other teams are doing and what is combustion method targeting?

an interesting video, may not be related to the question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJaWqhvHf8
For Sure!!

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

ringo wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 02:15
Wazari wrote:

I don't live on cloud number 9 but I hear it is a nice neighborhood. "Ever" meaning under this current PU formula (2020). We now have a very good idea what the other 3 have been doing with regards to what people are calling "TJI"although it's really not TJI but similar, and what HRD will bring with it's on unique combustion process that cannot be easily duplicated.
What is it that you think the other teams are doing and what is combustion method targeting?

It is related because I think this is what everyone is using.
Ofc they buy NGK rather than FM sparkplugs.

loner

Wazari wrote:
loner wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 14:54
Wazari wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 23:35

"Spec 4" could have been implemented last season but for a myriad of reasons it was not.

The baseline for the 618's numbers is an improvement over the most recent 617. I can't go into specifics.

"Innovations" have to do with the ICE's components and ERS processes.
well perhaps you do live on cloud number 9 claiming innovations in the pipeline that you highly doubt the other manufacturers will have in 2018 or ever for that matter
i'll believe it when i see it.
I don't live on cloud number 9 but I hear it is a nice neighborhood. "Ever" meaning under this current PU formula (2020). We now have a very good idea what the other 3 have been doing with regards to what people are calling "TJI" although it's really not TJI but similar, and what HRD will bring with it's on unique combustion process that cannot be easily duplicated.
yeah.. lets talk after you can challenge Renault and Ferrari let alone Mercedes.
so again i'll believe it when i see it :wink:
para bellum.

godlameroso

Mudflap wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 02:30
ringo wrote:
Wazari wrote:

I assume it's not as simple as putting a spark plug de-fouler on the end of a spark plug and drilling holes on the sides. That a lot of work goes into optimizing the geometry, as well as the chemistry of the fuel, and the injectors, not to mention the combustion chamber itself.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

godlameroso wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 18:47
Mudflap wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 02:30
ringo wrote:

I assume it's not as simple as putting a spark plug de-fouler on the end of a spark plug and drilling holes on the sides. That a lot of work goes into optimizing the geometry, as well as the chemistry of the fuel, and the injectors, not to mention the combustion chamber itself.
Sure, each manufacturer optimizes it to suit their needs but the principles are the same.
My point was that there's no hidden injectors, no double anchor, no secret fuel chambers etc. Combustion wise they should all start this season on equal footing.

This technology is far from being new, it's just that no one has used it in race engines until now.

godlameroso

I wonder why no one even bothered to make a snake oil version to sell to chumps. It costs $9 for a non fouler, and a machine shop can probably drill the holes for you for $5, or less if you have a drill press, then just sell them for $30 on Ebay. F1 technology for your econoshitbox.

https://www.sinrojamotorcycles.co.uk/pu ... ignition-1

Looks like someone beat me to it, darn.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

wow a spark plug condom

PlatinumZealot

Male spark plug enhancement.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 20:10
Male spark plug enhancement.
The fuel must be low in T...
Honda!

Craigy

roon wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 21:50
No refueling needed since you'd be driving through the solar system's largest fuel tank. Trillions of GPs later, FIA institutes an efficiency formula in response to Jupiterian climate change.
The solar systems' largest fuel tank is the Sun, surely?

godlameroso

In any case I imagine that there's a lot of performance to be found in the right pre-chamber volume, the number shape and size of the nozzles. The injection timing and spray pattern, the combustion chamber shape, all have to be balanced together to get the most out of it. I do think they're pushing the regulations but no one is burning oil for power(the calorific value of motor oil is lower than gasoline, and at best will only serve to lower octane), at best there's 2 liters of fuel that you can store outside of the fuel tank. Even with the most economical piping you'd still be able to store no more than a liter outisde the fuel tank, that probably would be worth one or two laps at most.

In most dual fuel experiments the supplemental fuel use was minimal, similar to the consumption of most urea exhaust after treatments in diesels. ~3,000km/gallon.

But then how would you control this with just one injector, with all pipework to recirculate vapors into the engine now forbidden by the regulations. The only freedom you have is in how air enters the engine and exits it. The valves, and valve timing events, the head ports, and the combustion chamber. The rest of it all has to be FIA approved.

To be honest I think we're at the point that the block, crank, MGU-K and rods could all probably be standardized, as I doubt much development goes on there. When we hear of failures it's seldom these components anyway, it's always the turbo, or a coolant leak, or an electrical gremlin, or hydraulic pressure, or pneumatic pressure. The times the lower assembly fails it's usually due to detonation in the combustion chamber anyway. Like when Hamilton's engine let go in Malaysia, or Alonso in Montreal. Plain bearings don't just spin, valves don't just bend, there's always a cause.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

godlameroso wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 22:53
Like when Hamilton's engine let go in Malaysia, or Alonso in Montreal. Plain bearings don't just spin, valves don't just bend, there's always a cause.
Where did it say that Hamilton's issue was related to detonation? I heard a completely different story.

I think that there is considerable development work going into the bottom end and valvetrain. The engine allocation regs on their own dictate design changes.

The fact that teams still find performance despite the very tough engine durability targets is a pretty good indicator. If last season's components were to work just fine this year it means they had been overdesigned to begin with.

godlameroso

Pistons sure, but minimum crank weight and journal diameters are all regulated, same for the rods. Bearings on the other hand, I could see development there. Maybe the oil and coolant passages to reduce losses. Cylinder bore coatings, piston rings as well. I suppose that block strength is also a consideration, or rather lowering weight while maintaining strenght.

Hamilton's engine let go a rod bearing, it's either oil starvation or detonation, bearings don't just spin on their own.
Saishū kōnā

roon
roon

I wonder if silicone fluids have been used/considered. They can be formulated with viscosities thinner than water and are said to have good capillary and wetting action. Not flammable, although combustible. Inert/non-reactive, depending on formulation, which may be something to consider in regards to oil-injection. The effect of non-reactivity; the effect of not-burning. Atomized heat-resistant, combustion-resistant fluids to absorb shock, provide nucleation points, add mass, alter airflow.