Standardized Fuel

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Standardized Fuel

Like the control tyres, is it time to also control the fuel and lubricants in F1? I cannot think of a more dead-end investment than to improve the performance of fossil fuels (unless it come with emissions benefits). It seems like a huge area of performance differential comes from these third-party, outside contractors, and that any of the fuels that have been formulated since 2015 would still be fantastic as a spec fuel.

Thoughts?

dans79

Re: Standardized Fuel

I think things are perfectly fine as is.

Personally I don't understand why so many want to push F1 towards a spec series, nothing could be further from it roots and true DNA. F1 is basically ritualized industrial warfare and has been since the beginning, yet some want to turn it into the European equivalent of NASCAR.
197 104 103 7

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 02:31
I think things are perfectly fine as is.

Personally I don't understand why so many want to push F1 towards a spec series, nothing could be further from it roots and true DNA. F1 is basically ritualized industrial warfare and has been since the beginning, yet some want to turn it into the European equivalent of NASCAR.
Well, who is competing in F1?
Drivers?
Designers?
Mechanics?
Principals?
Sponsors?
3rd party suppliers?
Secret technology sharing between dominant teams?
Special Vetos?

Like the tyres, fuel is a huge part of the equation, and part of the cost cap problem, as the Oil companies can LITERALLY invest billions outside of the structure, and show up on race day with a huge advantage.

Unless customer teams can get identical fuel to the works teams that supply their engines, there will always be an inherent advantage, and that isnt sporting in my opinion.

wuzak

Zynerji wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 04:01
Unless customer teams can get identical fuel to the works teams that supply their engines, there will always be an inherent advantage, and that isnt sporting in my opinion.
I believe the customers do get the same fuels (except for Renault teams, who have chosen a different supplier to the works team, such as Red Bull).

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
Well, who is competing in F1?
All of these, hence the reason its not a spec series.
Zynerji wrote:
Drivers?
Designers?
Mechanics?
Principals?

Every time you start a topic like this it, seems like you think the only thing that should matter is the driver.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 02:09

Thoughts?
You're just not happy that your favourite driver isn't in a Mercedes... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

I lived through Sebastian taking 4 in a row, and Merc taking 4 in a row.

Doesnt the "in-a-row" thing bother people? It is so predictable, that it isnt even worth watching.

And the single tyre supplier has done very well. If F1 ended the tyre war, why wouldn't we end the Fuel War?
Last edited by Zynerji on 29 Jan 2018, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 15:40
I lived through Sebastian taking 4 in a row, and Merc taking 4 in a row.

Doesnt the "in-a-row" thing bother people? It is so predictable, that it isnt even worth watching.
It's one of the main features of F1 true the decades. One team is leading, the others try to catch up. And that might take years. before RedBull there ws Ferrari for 5 years, years of Williams domination and don't forget almost a decade of McLaren.

As long as a few companies want to invest in something like oil and fuel, it's a win-win for the whole business. More exposure, more development, more sponsoring.

Zynerji

Fuel war bad for same reasons tyre war was bad.

dans79

Seriously Zynerji, I think you would be much happier as a fan of a different series. F1 has been like this since the very beginning, even before it was F1, look at how the original silver arrows obliterated their opponents in the 30's.

I'd add, I hated the early part of 2012 season when we had a tire lottery. I mean for the love of god Maldonado won a race.
197 104 103 7

Maritimer

Here's the saddest song on the smallest violin. If the next ruleset shifts toward more spec anything I know I'm certainly done watching, as are a huge chunk of the viewership/fanbase. This isn't Formula Budgetcap.
Zynerji wrote:
... the single tyre supplier has done very well...
:lol:

Zynerji

Maritimer wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 18:37
Here's the saddest song on the smallest violin. If the next ruleset shifts toward more spec anything I know I'm certainly done watching, as are a huge chunk of the viewership/fanbase. This isn't Formula Budgetcap.
Zynerji wrote:
... the single tyre supplier has done very well...
:lol:
Please give an instance where the single supplier have one team an unfair advantage? It's not funny, its sad actually how broken F1 is sometimes.

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 19:12
Please give an instance where the single supplier have one team an unfair advantage? It's not funny, its sad actually how broken F1 is sometimes.
How about mid 2013 when they swapped tire compounds, The championship drastically swung in RBRs favor after that.
197 104 103 7

Zynerji

There is no data to suggest that that tire was developed specifically for Red Bull like the fuel they ran in the same race.

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 16:50
There is no data to suggest that that tire was developed specifically for Red Bull like the fuel they ran in the same race.
That's not what you asked.

Horner had complained all season about the 2013 tires, mainly because they didn't suit the 2013 RBR. As soon as the failures started happening Horner lobbied hard to switch back to the 2012 tires that suited RBR much better.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/sports/c ... y/?related
"This is a Pirelli issue, they need to find a solution, they need to address it. Whether they go back to last year's tire or a different tire they need a solution," said Horner, who has called all season for the quick-wearing tires to be harder and longer-lasting.

"The most logical thing would be to go back to the tires that worked well for them previously. The tires they had last year did not have these failures," he added.
when they switched back to 2012 spec compounds RBR gained a huge advantage and anyone paying attention knew it was going to happen.

Look at the winners from the first 10 races of the season. Kimi (lotus), Seb x 4 (RBR), Alonso x 2 (Ferrari), Rosberg x 2 (Mercedes), Lewis (Mercedes).

Now look at the last 9 races. Seb won all of them.

As others have stated, this is a formula series not a spec series. That means its not all about the driver, and that's something you need to learn how to be ok with.
197 104 103 7