Renault R.S.18 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: Renault R.S.18 Speculation Thread

It's always the same with these images. We speculate it's the real 2018 car and then at launch day we realize it was actually a 2012 Clio :shock: . I am not falling this year

santos

Big Mangalhit wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 11:25
It's always the same with these images. We speculate it's the real 2018 car and then at launch day we realize it was actually a 2012 Clio :shock: . I am not falling this year
:lol: :lol: :lol: and would be foolish to belive that it is the 2018 car...

Blackout

I'm just saying it's not the RS.17. :P

santos wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 12:02
and would be foolish to belive that it is the 2018 car...
And no, it's not foolish to belive that this is the 2018 car (as a render) because
-it's not an older Renault car
-it features some interesting changes compared to its predecessor
-the 3d renders Enstone shows or teases are very often representative of the actual car
-Renault has nothing/no secret/no advatage to lose by showing a teaser like this.

aral

That is only a generic outline, and in the comparison shown below, the cars are from different angles so cannot be compared. note such things as no flow conditioners etc on sidepods etc. the car has not even been completed as yet so do not read anything into the teaser.

Blackout

aral wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 14:39
That is only a generic outline, and in the comparison shown below, the cars are from different angles
You dont say...
Still, that airbox is new whatever the angles are and some other details are different.

Daliracing

The perspective is diffirent between the photos so you can't really tell. Could be more like a showcar with bits of different renault f1 cars

Blackout

Yes but no Renault/Lotus have an airbox/engine cover like that. Look at the RS.17 from every perspective you want and you'll see that its 'airbox' and the bodywork behind have completely different shapes and width. :P The RS-17 airbox/engine cover sides are quite straight and vertical in every front view...

aral

Dont get worked up about it. Whatever, it is just a mock up, probably designed to get people talking ! Even if it was todays design, it does not mean that the final car will be anything like it.

Blackout

Okay Captain Obvious. We must shut up (and why not close the thread) and wait till the real car comes. :)

carisi2k

I agree that the car is an outline of the 2018 car and not the 2017 car. The air box looks thicker and at an angle compared to the rs17. It is obviously an evolution of the 17 car but it most definitely isn't an rs17 in that picture.

Peter1919

Its not a photo its a computer-generated image and is probably simply representative of a fairly generic F1 car, I don't think you can draw any inference of what the 2018 Renault will look like based on it

Mat-tes

I think Blackout isn't far from the truce with that image being based on the new chassis.
In the weeks leading to the presentation of a new car, the graphic and communication department of a team would be quite busy, mostly since Renault and any other teams changes livery design every year (meaning few material from past seasons can be carried over in term of communication material).
That alone would keep a graphic team busy. Social media being of importance but not so much (it's a teaser image), we can assume a minimum amount of time would be spent on the creation of said teaser.
In that case the most efficient way to produce an image would be to get a rendering of the car (or even a screen cap of the CAD software) and rapidly clean it, draw the yellow outline and be done with it (there's a reason why the image is perfectly symmetrical, it's a Photoshoped image not a pure 3d rendering).
I'd say in the midst of preparing a new season, a graphic designer shouldn't spend more than half a day, maybe a day to draw a teaser, otherwise it's a waist of time.
Rather than draw it from scratch and recreate the perspective, it would be faster to just repaint a crude model.
Yes it could be based on an older model, but the presence of the halo and the geometry of various elements on the car can lead us to believe it's something new.

Of course this is just an assumption, but as a designer myself the goal is always to propose the best quality in the shortest amount of time when the material is of reduced importance (again this is just a teaser).
We could also be wrong, but eh this is a speculation thread so why not speculate.

For the shape of the engine cover, last year Redbull already started to be more angled and flowing directly into the side of the car, it's not impossible that Renault would do the same.

Anyway we will have some answer soon.

TankMarvin

I imagine all the teams get together near the start of the season (wasn't there recently a technical meeting with Liberty & FIA ?) and agree between themselves to share outlines/silhouettes of each other cars from previous years for teaser images to bamboozle the contributors to F1T forums :D

Vladimir

So, why you all think that new r.s.18 will keep last year nose cone type?

Blackout

And I never said this is the RS.18. All I said is that it's not foolish to belive that this is a render of the 2018 car because
-it's not an older Renault car
-it features some interesting changes compared to its predecessors, like the 'airbox'
-the 3d renders Enstone shows or teases are very often quite accurate and representative of the actual car
-Renault has nothing to lose (/no secret/no advatage) by showing a teaser like this.