Livery thread again!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Livery thread again!

f1316 wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 11:17
Why is it that so few teams use metallic paint? We see a couple of the (imo) nicer ones posted here (the above Renault, the Alfa from the previous page) have a metallic sheen but - other than the chrome McLarens (you could argue the Mercedes but not sure if it is actually metallic, rather than just a silvery shade of grey) - precious few teams actually take this route.

Is metallic paint intrinsically heavier? Or is it other considerations perhaps, like sponsor logos not ‘popping’ quite so much?

I guess another example is that the benson and hedges Jordan from 96 was gold, in line with the sponsor’s branding, but soon became yellow which is really far less identifiably B&H. Must be that the metallic elements in paint add a small amount of weight, I guess, but interested if anyone has any particular insight.
the recent 'black' mclaren had a metallic paint in it. not noticeable on tv. even if they were to have 4k resolution, it wouldn't be noticeable, and it gets either lost in pictures or could actually make sponsors less visible due to reflections. so any amount of metallic in the paint must be minimal, and then all the effort needed to make it usable really is a waste. so that's rather why.

as for the gold jordan, that just looked hideous. yellow looked so much better and brought much more exposure. had nothing to do with it being metallic or not, it was just a boring, hideous color on a f1 car.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer

f1316 wrote:Why is it that so few teams use metallic paint? We see a couple of the (imo) nicer ones posted here (the above Renault, the Alfa from the previous page) have a metallic sheen but - other than the chrome McLarens (you could argue the Mercedes but not sure if it is actually metallic, rather than just a silvery shade of grey) - precious few teams actually take this route.

Is metallic paint intrinsically heavier? Or is it other considerations perhaps, like sponsor logos not ‘popping’ quite so much?

I guess another example is that the benson and hedges Jordan from 96 was gold, in line with the sponsor’s branding, but soon became yellow which is really far less identifiably B&H. Must be that the metallic elements in paint add a small amount of weight, I guess, but interested if anyone has any particular insight.
It might be heavy McLaren dropped the chrome metallic flakes due to weight and save 1.5kg a few years ago

Manoah2u

marmer wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 21:52
f1316 wrote:Why is it that so few teams use metallic paint? We see a couple of the (imo) nicer ones posted here (the above Renault, the Alfa from the previous page) have a metallic sheen but - other than the chrome McLarens (you could argue the Mercedes but not sure if it is actually metallic, rather than just a silvery shade of grey) - precious few teams actually take this route.

It might be heavy McLaren dropped the chrome metallic flakes due to weight and save 1.5kg a few years ago
that's not true at all, it had nothing to do with weight.

the only statement they mentioned was this
“We have revised our car’s livery, improving its visual impact, optimising it for not only bright sunshine but also for the floodlights increasingly used in twilight and night races.

"The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo ‘speedmarks’ and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ry-567384/

Which i personally think is a load of cr*p as they have ran that livery for years and years,
but there is a fair point to it if you look at the pictures that the sponsors on the car disappear in the livery in night races. after losing vodafone, they have become more reliant on their smaller sponsors which are not as visable on those venues as mentioned above.

so stop spreading false truths (lies) as it has nothing to do with the weight, and all with exposure.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marmer

Manoah2u wrote:
marmer wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 21:52

that's not true at all, it had nothing to do with weight.

the only statement they mentioned was this
“We have revised our car’s livery, improving its visual impact, optimising it for not only bright sunshine but also for the floodlights increasingly used in twilight and night races.

"The result is a dynamic, predatory, graphite grey colouration, complemented by McLaren-dayglo ‘speedmarks’ and keylines, reducing the reflection issues caused by our latest chrome-silver treatment.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ry-567384/

Which i personally think is a load of cr*p as they have ran that livery for years and years,
but there is a fair point to it if you look at the pictures that the sponsors on the car disappear in the livery in night races. after losing vodafone, they have become more reliant on their smaller sponsors which are not as visable on those venues as mentioned above.

so stop spreading false truths (lies) as it has nothing to do with the weight, and all with exposure.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... One-Season

ME4ME

Dear lord that looks amazing.

bauc

Lucky, you made my day! thanks!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Manoah2u

oh dear lord i just lost it. that looks perfect =P~

f1316

It would have made more sense as a McLaren Honda livery with the white though; given they’re not in the same position with Renault as not the works team - so unlikely to feature any yellow - so unless it’s for a sponsor, I don’t know why they would have all that white. Might as well go full papaya.

Manoah2u

it's an artists impression. just enjoy it.

it incorporates all the best of mclaren history and still looks fresh. one of the best executions i have yet seen.

Manoah2u

btw some colours i'd LOVE to see in F1 (again)

(i know the above is not an actual F1 car)

hoping for a baby blue bugatti F1 team, which probably will never happen though

Sieper

That simtek in that livery! Wow WoW WoW. Love it!

Manoah2u

Sieper wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 15:22
That simtek in that livery! Wow WoW WoW. Love it!
agreed, i've always had a profound love for that car.
not only did it look fantastic in itself, the livery looked stunning.
the perfect amount of balance, a deep gorgeous purple, the right black accents, and the mtv-blue and yellow sponsor accents make it absolutely incredible sight to behold.

Verstappen driving it back in the day to me was an extra, but apart from that, it was grand on its own. too bad the team didnt' survive.

wasn't adrian newey actually involved with the simtek? or am i mixing some people up?

NathanOlder

Not sure about simtek, Leyton House certainly. And that leyton house had a great livery too.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

I think that simtek livery still looks modern. The whole colour Palette came together, even though they had several sponsors, but they were cool all and the logos integrated perfectly. I was 14 and those years were F1 hope and pure magic for me. I always admired Jos, Max now too but jos’ Effort was valiant to me. It was really hard to see it all stopping without enough money.

Newey was not involved but they had a talented designer. Newey did speak about it inhis book, great ideas he said, but failed to fully finish them.