2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

ESPImperium wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 00:58
Remember that Red Bull have increased their exposure into STR as well, Excluding prize money and other sponsors, Red Bull are reportedly matching Honda and putting in €75m a year into STR. Giving STR-Honda a budget that will put it close to the £200m budget of McLaren this year
75m? Maybe, we know that TR will use free engines, this is 20 million. In addition to the sponsorship another 50 million. They can give a total of approximately 70 million for TR. It's interesting..

restless
restless

ESPImperium wrote:
Remember that Red Bull have increased their exposure into STR as well,
Do you have source for that info ?!

NathanOlder

restless wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 10:36
ESPImperium wrote:
Remember that Red Bull have increased their exposure into STR as well,
Do you have source for that info ?!
Naming the team Red Bull Toro Rosso has increased their exposure into STR.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Talisman
Talisman

HPD wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 01:13
ESPImperium wrote:
Remember that Red Bull have increased their exposure into STR as well, Excluding prize money and other sponsors, Red Bull are reportedly matching Honda and putting in €75m a year into STR. Giving STR-Honda a budget that will put it close to the £200m budget of McLaren this year
75m? Maybe, we know that TR will use free engines, this is 20 million. In addition to the sponsorship another 50 million. They can give a total of approximately 70 million for TR. It's interesting..
I thought that Honda had specifically chosen NOT to transfer the cash they would have supplied to McLaren to STR.

It is also conceivable that Red Bull paid for the Renault supply from a central fund rather than through STR itself so its possible that Faenza won’t see a financial benefit from going from a customer Renault to a works Honda at all. Given there is little benefit for Red Bull beyond increased prize money from having STR perform well there would certainly be little incentive for them not to pocket the not insubstantial savings rather than use it to boost STR’s budget.

Snorked
Snorked

Maybe some other info besides the car launch date?

RonDennis
RonDennis

Talisman wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 14:17
HPD wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:
I thought that Honda had specifically chosen NOT to transfer the cash they would have supplied to McLaren to STR.

It is also conceivable that Red Bull paid for the Renault supply from a central fund rather than through STR itself so its possible that Faenza won’t see a financial benefit from going from a customer Renault to a works Honda at all. Given there is little benefit for Red Bull beyond increased prize money from having STR perform well there would certainly be little incentive for them not to pocket the not insubstantial savings rather than use it to boost STR’s budget.
STR only get's free engines. Honda isn't going to pay 50 millions for a team like STR.

Zynerji

RonDennis wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 16:50
Talisman wrote:
HPD wrote:

STR only get's free engines. Honda isn't going to pay 50 millions for a team like STR.
Why not? THey have the best atmosphere for outside-the-box development in all of F1.

I truly believe that if STR had the money of RBR or Merc/Ferrari, they would fight for honest wins. I love this team's operating mentality.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Zynerji wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 22:16
RonDennis wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 16:50
Talisman wrote:

Why not? THey have the best atmosphere for outside-the-box development in all of F1.

I truly believe that if STR had the money of RBR or Merc/Ferrari, they would fight for honest wins. I love this team's operating mentality.
Companies don't care about atmosphere. They pay because of McLaren's name and potential. Toro Rosso is just the junior squad of Red Bull with drivers some people never heard of.

carisi2k

The reason why Red Bull is boosting Toro Rosso in 2018 financially is because in 2019 the factory Red Bull racers will have Honda engines. Red Bull have stopped all collaboration with Renault and are putting all of there resources into making the Honda relationship work for them. STR for all intents and purposes in 2018 will be the main focus for Red Bull because they have lost all faith in Renault and the RB14 is not going to be a huge advancement over the rb13. There have been whispers that Max will find himself back in a toro rosso in 2018 if the honda has improved and the toro rosso is competitive. Certainly during testing in February he might be swapped with one of the TR drivers on one or 2 days.

marmer
marmer

Would be amazing if the honda is better than Renault this season. But if red bull have seen anything good in the pipeline now honda are not limited by McLaren's super skinny size zero. It makes sense to stop helping Renault and focus on getting the honda right for 2019.

I would expect the Toro rosso to share alot of design with the red bull this year to test cooling. Or lots of design on the Toro and be a testing car for red bull

HPD

RonDennis wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 23:27
Companies don't care about atmosphere. They pay because of McLaren's name and potential. Toro Rosso is just the junior squad of Red Bull with drivers some people never heard of.
I think I did not explain myself well.

From what I understand, if you want the Honda logo to appear on the shirts, in the garage, on the helmets, on the chassis, etc. Honda must pay for this. This is new money for TR, nobody says that Honda will give away their money.
50 million in advertising is very possible

HPD

Asked if his biggest desire was to have a reliable power unit during pre-season, Key told RACER: "Yes, I think it makes a huge difference.

"It works both for us and Honda as a team together, it's important for both of us to have that situation. When we ran the 2015 Ferrari engine in 2016, that was a very well-established engine. It had done an entire season; all of its issues had been ironed out and as a result we got an extremely reliable unit and we were able to do absolutely tons of winter testing. That was extremely useful for the team and for the drivers. So it does make a difference."

Key's opinion stems from having suffered with reliability in the past when a Renault customer, meaning Toro Rosso is aware of how damaging it can be to miss out on significant running during pre-season testing.

"We have had different experiences! Last year I think we did half the amount of mileage and in 2014 we did a tiny amount of mileage and that was all power unit-related, so I think it matters a great deal.

"Let's see where we are – it matters of course very much to Honda too, so hopefully at that point it will be OK. There could be teething problems with certain things but that's what testing is for. You never know, but that is the target for both sides."
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/147206-hon ... pre-season
This is more than confirmed.
The first half of the season will focus on reliability, so do not expect big advances of power during that period.

The Q3 could be impossible for the moment, but more ahead should be possible.

carisi2k

Remember that the spec 4 was never raced and it by all accounts had around the 910-920hp mark that Renault's engine had. So any improvements in the 2018 engine will be over the spec 4.0 and not the 3.x that was in the back of the Mclaren. In some ways it would have been good to see where the spec 4.0 could have put the Mclaren at the end of 2017.

Wazari

carisi2k wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 04:48
Remember that the spec 4 was never raced and it by all accounts had around the 910-920hp mark that Renault's engine had. So any improvements in the 2018 engine will be over the spec 4.0 and not the 3.x that was in the back of the Mclaren. In some ways it would have been good to see where the spec 4.0 could have put the Mclaren at the end of 2017.
More like 930-935 HP.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

carisi2k

It would have given us a better idea of where Toro Rosso is going to be this year. I'm also guessing that Red Bull has had a spec 3.x, 4.0 and 2018 engine on their test bench to ascertain the difference between them and to see the advantages of the newer engines.