One for the Mods - Technical Moderation

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Jef Patat

Re: One for the Mods - Technical Moderation

Moxie wrote:Is this tongue in cheek humor, or are you really this arrogant?
You sensed it but you missed it. Someone with a reputation of 101 writing that and being serious...

It's a fool's prerogative to tell the truths in a way that no one else will speak ;-)

flyboy2160

xxChrisxx wrote:The downvote system is probably a bit of a clumsy tool for this. People tend to upvote posts that agree and downvote posts that they disagree with.

I've always tried to reserve my downvotes for posts I find vacuous rather than those I disagree with.
I disagree. The downvote system is the perfect tool for the Chen thread. It's supposed to be used for or against posts based on technical merit. It's abused by the fanboys when they vote each other up and down based on agreement about non-technical issues: Vettel's a poser who lucked into 4 WDCs. Hamilton is God. No! Yes! No! Yes! +1-1+1-1+1-1.

As far as I'm concerned, the voting should only be enabled in purely technical threads.

Moxie

Jef Patat wrote:
Moxie wrote:Is this tongue in cheek humor, or are you really this arrogant?
You sensed it but you missed it. Someone with a reputation of 101 writing that and being serious...

It's a fool's prerogative to tell the truths in a way that no one else will speak ;-)

Yup!!! I missed the sarcasm. My sincere apology to Ciro Pabon. I do appreciate humor, indeed I love subtle humor, but this morning I was obviously not in the mental frame to receive it. Thank you for your humor Ciro, I will certainly try to be more tuned in to it. Again, Sorry.

garygph

As far as I'm concerned, the voting should only be enabled in purely technical threads.
I agree with this and if there is a real need for votes on non technical threads let it be a seperate entity, maybe a different colour or whatever. I would really like to be able to see at a glance how much someone has contributed technically rather than wondering what percentage of their score is fluffed up by saying what people want to hear in non technical threads.

J.A.W.

Strangely, several recent posts have simply vanished - apparently 'officially' excised/censored,
but sans explanation/acknowledgement/reasoning.

So, what is this about?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

dans79

J.A.W. wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 23:57
Strangely, several recent posts have simply vanished - apparently 'officially' excised/censored
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5009
The moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.
197 104 103 7

J.A.W.

Yeah, yeah, its the Trump era we're in now, I get that..

But Steven is a quite the courteous chap, & some of his ruder minions would do well to emulate his example.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Phil

dans79 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 00:41
J.A.W. wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 23:57
Strangely, several recent posts have simply vanished - apparently 'officially' excised/censored
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5009
The moderators reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.
I've seen quite a few of my posts being deleted in the Grid-Girls topic, but I never received any formal warning or reasoning on why. Suffice to say, none of my posts were insulting in any way, but I did raise some critical questions in them.

I have to say, I don't like the "deleting of posts" no matter what the contents is. It just feels like censorship then. I'd rather have a mod step in and remind us what is wanted or not allowed or the warning placed inside that post so that everyone can see what the problem with it is. At least that way, it's transparent and everyone can learn from it.

I also find it strange that voting was enabled by default for the grid-girls topic for a while and lots of people have made good and reasonable posts that have been upvoted (and IMO were worthy of being upvoted because they are reasonable posts with good insight), but then at some point, a mod probably turned it off and I think most votes were removed. But now we have a new topic about the grid-boys and voting is still on, despite the topic already ranging 9 pages and numerous upvotes made? It's just not very consistent...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 18:13
I have to say, I don't like the "deleting of posts" no matter what the contents is. It just feels like censorship then. I'd rather have a mod step in and remind us what is wanted or not allowed or the warning placed inside that post so that everyone can see what the problem with it is. At least that way, it's transparent and everyone can learn from it.
I have to say I disagree with this, specifically when I have seen a post in the grid kids thread insinuating someone is a future serial child molester/rapist.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but some people here seem incapable of doing so in a civilized fashion, instead they default to snarky passive aggressive comments, or insults by proxy.
197 104 103 7

Steven
Owner

Phil wrote:
I also find it strange that voting was enabled by default for the grid-girls topic for a while and lots of people have made good and reasonable posts that have been upvoted (and IMO were worthy of being upvoted because they are reasonable posts with good insight), but then at some point, a mod probably turned it off and I think most votes were removed. But now we have a new topic about the grid-boys and voting is still on, despite the topic already ranging 9 pages and numerous upvotes made? It's just not very consistent...
Problem here is that only I can disable voting in a topic, and it's enabled by default in the general chat forum. This is a bug that needs to be looked at, but right now, it means that when I'm not really looking at those particular threads (and nobody asks me anything), nothing happens about the votes there.
So, a report in that topic would have done wonders :)

Also, what do you disagree with exactly?
- The removal of the ratings in that topic?
- The disabling of the rating ability in that topic?
- Still having the ratings enabled in the gridkids topic?

roon

dans79 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 19:01
Phil wrote:
I have to say I disagree with this, specifically when I have seen a post in the grid kids thread insinuating someone is a future serial child molester/rapist.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but some people here seem incapable of doing so in a civilized fashion, instead they default to snarky passive aggressive comments, or insults by proxy.
I didn't intend that comment as snark nor as an insult. I'm sorry it was read that way.

strad

I also have had a few posts disappear without a clue as to why.
None that I know of contained any of the following """"discussions on politics, race or religion are highly discouraged, and subject to removal"""".
I don't mind that they were deleted nearly so much as not being informed as to why. Nothing I have said was meant as insulting, or discussing race, or religion and I don't generally discuss politics with anyone. You know the old adage about not discussing politics or religion without inviting arguments.
The point about not being informed is as much wondering if I did something wrong or perhaps just screwed up and deleted my own post.
Without being informed I can't know the why.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

I'm with Strad on this. I've had post deleted without explanation too. Or as part of a general " this is off topic, stop" but see other OT posts left on the thread. At first glance it seems that there is some selective bias going on by certain mods in certain topics.

I don't wish to upset Steven or his mod team but I felt it should be said.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Steven
Owner

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 02:10
I'm with Strad on this. I've had post deleted without explanation too. Or as part of a general " this is off topic, stop" but see other OT posts left on the thread. At first glance it seems that there is some selective bias going on by certain mods in certain topics.

I don't wish to upset Steven or his mod team but I felt it should be said.
No offence taken. I appreciate any help and feedback that can improve the website!

Have you tried reporting posts that you believe should then also be deleted?

Also, among the team, there are generally two rules regarding post deletion. Either we post a mod message in the thread that a number of messages were deleted, or the posters are informed.
If neither is the case, I would really like to encourage you to report the next post, and ask about it. We can then take a look and take corrective measures.

Just_a_fan

Tried to post a comment on the 2018 testing thread. It came up saying it had to be moderated before it could be posted. It was deemed to be off topic and so not allowed. How come there are half a dozen posts about one of the Sky commentators on that thread (which I was replying to in a cheeky fashion)? Surely those are all off topic too? This is an excellent example of the type of selective off topic moderating I mentioned.

I wonder if everyone on that thread has their posts moderated before posting or was I singled out for some reason?

Edit: the OT posts are all on page 152.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.