Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
63l8qrrfy6

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

restless wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 08:16
Mudflap wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 00:10
restless wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 14:22
Such behavior after "problems" which TR faced at end of 2017(fighting with renault...) will just cement the feelings that Renault are not good for engine supplier.
Being paid for engines and sabotaging the deal... its worse than what Mercedes is doing and on the edge of class action.
I don't think Liberty will be happy to get such "publicity"
What exactly is Mercedes doing ?

Also why are people so quick to assume Renault will try to screw over everyone ?

Why is the general opinion that every manufacturer is only looking to cheat, bend the rules, deceive, lie and sabotage ?

Whenever someone gains an advantage it is attributed to either some form of cheating or sci fi tech. Sometimes both.
Its a well known fact that Mercedes doesn't give full control (or access to all software capabilities) to client teams. But at least they never sabotaged a client team like Renault did last season in order to overtake TR.
Of course they don't give full control to customer teams! Do you think Ferrari, Renault or Honda do ?

mclaren111

lio007 wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 21:22
carisi2k wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 21:05

MGU-H was a 2016 part and 5kg heavier then the 2017 part. The mgu-k was fine as far as I am aware.
It' been the other way round. MGU-K was 2016!

What is the possibility of McLaren supplying / making their own MGU-K if Renault can't get it right this year ??

GhostF1

mclaren111 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 08:15
lio007 wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 21:22
carisi2k wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 21:05

MGU-H was a 2016 part and 5kg heavier then the 2017 part. The mgu-k was fine as far as I am aware.
It' been the other way round. MGU-K was 2016!

What is the possibility of McLaren supplying / making their own MGU-K if Renault can't get it right this year ??
Highly unlikely, unless Renault give them full development disclosure and engines to test the MGU-K on. Not to mention recently Cyril said they'd be open to McLaren maybe having some input on the PU but not anytime soon.

baybars

carisi2k wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 10:34
vladamir the Renault power unit didn't improve one horsepower last year because they were using 2016 parts on a 2017 engine because the 2017 parts kept failing. Recently we have heard that Renault are supposedly over there issues and yet today we have on grandprix247.com cyril complaining about the 3 engine rule which makes me think that maybe they aren't over there reliability issues.

Red Bull won GP's purely on luck and the improving red bull rb13 chassis. No one else below the top 3 would have been able to pass Hamilton running in conservative mode in Malaysia. Certainly no other Renault powered team could have.
stop the your lie
You can go to honda topic
don't corroption this topic with your f a n b o y lie

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said the new engine had exceeded Renault's stated target of being 0.3 seconds quicker than the 2016 unit and adding the same amount of performance through the '17 season.

https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/ren ... tory.shtml

carisi2k

Cyril isn't going to say that they went backwards now is he and 0.3 seconds is nowhere near enough improvement over the 2016 engine when small things like fuels could have gotten that 0.3 seconds on the 2016 engine. Mercedes and Ferrari both gained about 1 second at least over there 2016 engines which shows you how silly it is to say that Renault made a gain over the 2016 engine.

The 2016 Renault unit was actually reliable which the 2017 engine was not and so maybe the decision making progress withing Renault is not that great about when to bring a new concept to market. Hindsight is good to have but maybe Renault should have continued on with an updated 2016 concept instead of the 2017 concept which looks like it has taken an extra year to be truly ready.

I stand by my statements and find it interesting that Mclaren know that the 2018 Renault is 1 second faster then the 2017 spec 3.x Honda and yet Red Bull don't seem to know much at all about the new Renault engine. In fact the only thing about engines coming from the mouths of Red bull bosses seems to be about the Honda engine which is why I am saying the things about Red Bull using Honda engines in 2018.

1 second a lap over the 2017 honda that mclaren used will not let Mclaren fight for a WC. It won't even allow RBR to fight for a WC. They are going to need 2 seconds of improvement to be able to challenge for a WC.

baybars

carisi2k wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 13:00
Cyril isn't going to say that they went backwards now is he and 0.3 seconds is nowhere near enough improvement over the 2016 engine when small things like fuels could have gotten that 0.3 seconds on the 2016 engine. Mercedes and Ferrari both gained about 1 second at least over there 2016 engines which shows you how silly it is to say that Renault made a gain over the 2016 engine.

The 2016 Renault unit was actually reliable which the 2017 engine was not and so maybe the decision making progress withing Renault is not that great about when to bring a new concept to market. Hindsight is good to have but maybe Renault should have continued on with an updated 2016 concept instead of the 2017 concept which looks like it has taken an extra year to be truly ready.

I stand by my statements and find it interesting that Mclaren know that the 2018 Renault is 1 second faster then the 2017 spec 3.x Honda and yet Red Bull don't seem to know much at all about the new Renault engine. In fact the only thing about engines coming from the mouths of Red bull bosses seems to be about the Honda engine which is why I am saying the things about Red Bull using Honda engines in 2018.

1 second a lap over the 2017 honda that mclaren used will not let Mclaren fight for a WC. It won't even allow RBR to fight for a WC. They are going to need 2 seconds of improvement to be able to challenge for a WC.
you continue say lie?
Where is the documents? For example Mercedes and Ferrari both gained about 1 second at least over there 2016 engines

I think you have more data than Vasseur
The engine was 2016, but the handicap was only a couple of tenths.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13416 ... id--sauber

another point 2017 Renault motor 1 second faster not 2018 Renault motor

You can say this lie on Honda topic.
I am sure that everybody believe to you on there

carisi2k

What documents do you need if you watch the grand prix's. The history is there and you can go and see that Mercedes increased it's lead over red bull and ferrari surpassed red bull. Don't call me a liar when history is there for everybody to see.

carisi2k

Mclaren have stated that the Renault is 1 second a lap faster then the Honda. Since Mclaren have never had a 2017 Renault engine to compare, how can they be comparing it to the Honda. Mclaren are therefore comparing a 2018 Renault and if it only has 1 second over the 2017 Honda then the Renault again hasn't improved that much since the 2017 Renault had about that much advantage over the spec 3.8 Honda that Mclaren raced till the end of 2017.

Common sense is all that you need to get certain data from.

McHonda

carisi2k wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 21:57
What documents do you need if you watch the grand prix's. The history is there and you can go and see that Mercedes increased it's lead over red bull and ferrari surpassed red bull. Don't call me a liar when history is there for everybody to see.
Which is why we know neither of those things happened. #-o

FPV GTHO

GhostF1 wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 13:26
Everything you are claiming is all your opinion, the only facts out there is as stated by others as well, Renault provided STR with poor quality, used parts. That is the main reason to the premature failures. None of this new cooling requirement rubbish.
Its not rubbish. After all the slagging off between Toro Rosso and Renault before the end of the year, Renault admitted after the season they changed the cooling requirements and Toro Rosso couldnt adapt as well as Red Bull or themselves.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... =182&tmm=1

ivanlesk

carisi2k wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 22:01
Mclaren have stated that the Renault is 1 second a lap faster then the Honda. Since Mclaren have never had a 2017 Renault engine to compare, how can they be comparing it to the Honda. Mclaren are therefore comparing a 2018 Renault and if it only has 1 second over the 2017 Honda then the Renault again hasn't improved that much since the 2017 Renault had about that much advantage over the spec 3.8 Honda that Mclaren raced till the end of 2017.

Common sense is all that you need to get certain data from.
Except, everybody knows others speeds and performance (details). For sure more than you..

wuzak

carisi2k wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 22:01
Mclaren have stated that the Renault is 1 second a lap faster then the Honda. Since Mclaren have never had a 2017 Renault engine to compare, how can they be comparing it to the Honda.
It's called simulation.

They have received data from Renault or, just as likely, from the trackside GPS data which gives them PU performance data with which they can compare the Renault to the Honda.

etusch

With Mercedes pu 1 sec over renault from wider point of view . Mclaren has best car without best engine. Too shy for them (!)

Sieper

McLaren is anything but shy.

Vladimir