Indy car windscreen

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
GM7

Re: Indy car windscreen

jjn9128

I thought this was more interesting than the onboard! There's a point about 2 minutes in he's talking about revisions and the FIA, but gets cut off.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

FW17

that looks ultra light weight, the guy handling it before he installation is just using 2 fingers

Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 11:50

It's never been an issue for SportsCars so I doubt it'd be an issue for the Indycar's fitted with the screen - just coat it in RainX or something similar.
Sports cars have wipers, of course.

Having said that, a hydrophobic coating would make a huge difference, especially as the screen is mostly at a large angle to the air flow. There are some very effective systems out there now.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 18:24

So using a wiper for clearing an oil smudge works for you?

Just_a_fan

FW17 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 19:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 18:24

So using a wiper for clearing an oil smudge works for you?
We were talking about driving in the rain. Sports cars drive in the rain and they use wipers. Those are just statements of fact.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

tcooper27

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 13:44
but at the same time, i repeat; apart from potentially 'redirecting' an object hitting the screen, there is still a vast amount of area in which a wheel could hit the driver.
It doesn't seem like IndyCar is as hyper focused on the danger of flying wheels as the FIA is. Surtees is the only driver I can find that was killed by a stray wheel. More people get hit with smaller pieces of debris and they can be just as deadly e.g. Massa's incident. The spring came at him off-center and hit the side of his helmet so the halo would not have helped him there.

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 13:44
also, something rather important imho - what if the car is upside down, and the driver needs to crawl out?
the area to crawl out seems rather small imho. offcourse that is why the windscreen is 'lowered' on the sides, but even then i wonder.
This is going to be a problem with any solution. The amount of room a driver has to egress is inversely proportional to the amount of coverage the screen/halo provides.

djos

GM7 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 16:30
https://youtu.be/VzprpRG2gvs
The optical quality on that screen is very impressive!
"In downforce we trust"

J.A.W.

FW17 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 13:36

Fighters use a HUD for targeting, and HUD has software correction for the distortion.
Interestingly, one of the 1st instances of the HUD in service - was the method used in the WW II
Hawker Tempest, whereby the reflector gunsight image was projected directly on to the windscreen..
& this required the thick armour-glass screen - to be of selected top optical quality, & distortion free.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Manoah2u

GM7 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 16:30
https://youtu.be/VzprpRG2gvs
oh wowzers, thats some impressive video footage and some amazing insight in the view.
i'm very impressed. it looks great and indeed amazingly clear.

i would be curious to see a mix of this with the halo. :!:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

FW17 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 17:28
that looks ultra light weight, the guy handling it before he installation is just using 2 fingers
yeah that really surprised me too.
i must say, i'm getting really impressed with this.

nevertheless, i would still desire to see a fair comparison on the same tests of the f1's halo and indy's screen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

I definitely prefer this to the Halo. This stops all small objects which are far more common than a detatched wheel. I think getting out while upside down will be the same as the Halo, and i see both being a problem upside down in a gravel trap.
I think Rain may be a problem in F1, where as they dont run in the rain in the states on ovals, and i cant actually remember seeing any indycar in the rain on a road course. Do they run in the rain at all? But surely the rain will run off it like it does a drivers visor. Its not like you see a driver wiping his visor in the rain. Oil could be an issue but they can just have tear-offs like you see in some closed cockpit racing.
If this thing passes the test of a wheel hitting it, then burn the halo in hell!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

rscsr

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:57
I think Rain may be a problem in F1, where as they dont run in the rain in the states on ovals, and i cant actually remember seeing any indycar in the rain on a road course. Do they run in the rain at all? ...
rainy enough?

FW17

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:46
FW17 wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 17:28
yeah that really surprised me too.
i must say, i'm getting really impressed with this.

nevertheless, i would still desire to see a fair comparison on the same tests of the f1's halo and indy's screen.

There is no comparison

F1 halo designed for a 20kg @ 200kph

Indy car is not, they are probably hoping to deflect parts of front wing

djos

FW17 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 05:38
There is no comparison

F1 halo designed for a 20kg @ 200kph

Indy car is not, they are probably hoping to deflect parts of front wing
Correction, halo is designed for a single freak scenario that has killed a single driver in half a century, the Indy screen is designed to protect drivers from scenarios that have injured or killed 10's of drivers over the same period!
"In downforce we trust"