2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

604gtir wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:14
NathanOlder wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:06
Well, He's driving a Toyota at a track owned by Toyota and he's the guy that publicly humiliated Honda. So i guess that makes him a Toyota legend already
honda humiliated honda... he was just pointing out the obvious
yeah and he allowed him self to be a clown for the money
para bellum.

604gtir
604gtir

loner wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:40
604gtir wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:14
NathanOlder wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:06
Well, He's driving a Toyota at a track owned by Toyota and he's the guy that publicly humiliated Honda. So i guess that makes him a Toyota legend already
honda humiliated honda... he was just pointing out the obvious
yeah and he allowed him self to be a clown for the money
https://media.giphy.com/media/94EQmVHkveNck/giphy.gif
for 50m dollars and no other team to go to id drive in a unicorn costume whats your point

godlameroso

So apparently the 2017 Renault engine is a second faster than the final Honda spec engine in Abu-Dhabi, that means that the McLaren would still have been behind the top 3, but about a few tenths down on Red Bull.

Will be interesting to see how well they can develop the chassis over the winter as well as throughout the season. You can bet Red Bull will have taken a nice step forward, McLaren will have the task of adapting their car to the new power unit while developing the rest of the aero.

I'm expecting fastest lap in testing to be in the high 16's low 17's, and top race pace will start in the mid high 24's and end in the 22's, maybe mid 21's for fastest race lap, if McLaren can't match this pace they'll have a lot of work ahead of them.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Redragon wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:59
Manoah2u wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:49
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:40
Just read that the WEC Calendar has been changed to accommodate Fernando Alonso. The fuji round (the 1 that clashed with F1's US GP) has been moved by a week to allow Alonso to take part.
that's a big LOL.

first time i've ever heared that an event actually has been changed because of ONE driver that is not even participating in the series for a longer time above all. :shock:
But that's the news http://www.marca.com/motor/24-horas-le- ... b45f2.html
I guess Japan still loves Alonso
didn't say i didn't believe it - just that i'm rather shocked :wink:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mclaren111

Sky F1:
But while McLaren may have surprised themselves at the speed at which they put the MCL33 design on a more sensible footing, the complexity of the change from Honda to Renault ought not to be underestimated.

"Architecturally, the engines are very different," explained Goss. "There are two families of engines in Formula 1 at present: the Mercedes and Honda approach with the turbocharger split across the engine and then the Renault-Ferrari approach with the turbocharger at the back and the MGUH in the 'V' of the engine."

And the split from one family to the other has necessitated some 'minor changes' to the MCL33 but little in the way of fundamental alterations to the chassis design. The Renault engine's layout also allows McLaren to retain their beloved, aerodynamically advantageous, 'size-zero' rear bodywork.

"The major challenge has been dealing with the architecture in a packaging sense internally rather than changing our aerodynamic philosophy," said aerodynamics chief Peter Prodromou. "Very little in terms of the car concept has had to be compromised."

"Expect to see something quite evolutionary conceptually at launch," advised Prodromou.

But by the season start in Australia, the MCL33 will look different. "In truth, we have spent the last two or three months focusing on a race one upgrade," added the former Red Bull designer.

Sky's take on McLaren for 2018 and some interesting quotes.

McMika98
McMika98

godlameroso wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 02:28
So apparently the 2017 Renault engine is a second faster than the final Honda spec engine in Abu-Dhabi, that means that the McLaren would still have been behind the top 3, but about a few tenths down on Red Bull.

Will be interesting to see how well they can develop the chassis over the winter as well as throughout the season. You can bet Red Bull will have taken a nice step forward, McLaren will have the task of adapting their car to the new power unit while developing the rest of the aero.

I'm expecting fastest lap in testing to be in the high 16's low 17's, and top race pace will start in the mid high 24's and end in the 22's, maybe mid 21's for fastest race lap, if McLaren can't match this pace they'll have a lot of work ahead of them.
Hopefully u watched the Amazon documentary and learned that they really do not know until actual track testing. Where did u get the 1 second from? Was the delta to Mercedes 3second? Recent amus article suggest otherwise. All these articles about competing at top is meaningless, Id reserve judgement till barcelona testing not even their simulators can simulate 2018 engine characteristics at this point.

Webber2011
Webber2011

McMika98 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 11:29
godlameroso wrote:

Hopefully u watched the Amazon documentary and learned that they really do not know until actual track testing. Where did u get the 1 second from? Was the delta to Mercedes 3second? Recent amus article suggest otherwise. All these articles about competing at top is meaningless, Id reserve judgement till barcelona testing not even their simulators can simulate 2018 engine characteristics at this point.
At this time of the year, I'd be extremely worried if my team wasn't in an advanced stage as far as simulating the 2018 engine characteristics goes.

Xero

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 10:51
Sky F1:
But while McLaren may have surprised themselves at the speed at which they put the MCL33 design on a more sensible footing, the complexity of the change from Honda to Renault ought not to be underestimated.

"Architecturally, the engines are very different," explained Goss. "There are two families of engines in Formula 1 at present: the Mercedes and Honda approach with the turbocharger split across the engine and then the Renault-Ferrari approach with the turbocharger at the back and the MGUH in the 'V' of the engine."

And the split from one family to the other has necessitated some 'minor changes' to the MCL33 but little in the way of fundamental alterations to the chassis design. The Renault engine's layout also allows McLaren to retain their beloved, aerodynamically advantageous, 'size-zero' rear bodywork.

"The major challenge has been dealing with the architecture in a packaging sense internally rather than changing our aerodynamic philosophy," said aerodynamics chief Peter Prodromou. "Very little in terms of the car concept has had to be compromised."

"Expect to see something quite evolutionary conceptually at launch," advised Prodromou.

But by the season start in Australia, the MCL33 will look different. "In truth, we have spent the last two or three months focusing on a race one upgrade," added the former Red Bull designer.

Interesting, and encouraging it must be said. I remember Goss being quoted recently as to saying only a minor change to arrangement of the rear suspension was required to fit the new PU and cooling package. Chassis-wise, it would seem McLaren are starting where they left off at the end of last season. Best case scenario if you ask me.

loner

604gtir wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 00:54

for 50m dollars and no other team to go to id drive in a unicorn costume whats your point
fiat currency is fake horse hsit petrol was never the sole source of energy and every thing is fake evaluated nothing deserve its price nothing call someone kicking a ball paid in millions or someone drive a car , humans are idiot cattles
give away their real wealth for a cheap fake fiat currency not even worth of the ink that printed it
my point is the only one who is realy humiliating himself continuously is the common people of earth.
while a fernando alonso fan keep defending him despite all the problems this fan has in his real life .. fernando is enjoying his gegantic wealth :lol: :lol:
para bellum.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McMika98 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 11:29
godlameroso wrote:

Of course they can simulate the 2018 engine based on the specs that were giving by Renault. That's why it's called a simulator.

:lol:

godlameroso

The delta to Mercedes was anywhere from 1.2 to 2.4 seconds depending on the type of track. Improving by one second gets you much closer in certain tracks, but still off the pace. I imagine the top 3 will take a step forward of around 1 to 1.5 seconds over last year. But even if the 2018 Renault is worth 2 seconds, it's still not enough, McLaren need to find at least 1.5 seconds from the chassis alone to fight for wins. My guess is they achieve half of that by Melbourne, so they'll be roughly .4-.7 off the pace.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 15:40
The delta to Mercedes was anywhere from 1.2 to 2.4 seconds depending on the type of track. Improving by one second gets you much closer in certain tracks, but still off the pace. I imagine the top 3 will take a step forward of around 1 to 1.5 seconds over last year. But even if the 2018 Renault is worth 2 seconds, it's still not enough, McLaren need to find at least 1.5 seconds from the chassis alone to fight for wins. My guess is they achieve half of that by Melbourne, so they'll be roughly .4-.7 off the pace.
Always remeber Romain Grosjean's words from SPA when Mercedes gave them more power......More Power-More DF-Better Suspesion performance- better brake performance....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

I really hope McLaren is up there, we need more teams fighting for wins.l
Saishū kōnā

adrianjordan

GoranF1 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 15:43
godlameroso wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 15:40
Always remeber Romain Grosjean's words from SPA when Mercedes gave them more power......More Power-More DF-Better Suspesion performance- better brake performance....
This.

Better PU unlocks more potential avenues to claw back time through chassis development as well.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Scuderia1967

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 10:51
Sky F1:

So, although "architecturally, the engines are very different", the "split from one family to the other has necessitated" just some "minor changes" and "little in the way of fundamental alterations to the chassis design", which allows "McLaren to retain their beloved, aerodynamically advantageous, 'size-zero' rear bodywork". Yeah, right