HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jagunx51

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

Formula 2 2018 :

............!!!!

cplchanb

so the carbon thong has appeared on the F2 cars as a standard part...... ughhhh....is there no better way of designing this? whos the manufacturer of this thing anyways?

wesley123

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Manoah2u

oh dear god please just make it stop
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose

I actually like the idea of using the halo as a big distinguishing feature on the car - but can we make it apply to all drivers instead? Like the roll hoop cameras used to be coloured to show you which of the two team members it was - the halo could be the same, but *much* clearer to see.

ChrisDanger

Todt says he is unmoved by a fan backlash about the looks of the Halo.

“Honestly, I don’t care,” he said.
That is the best thing I've read about the Halo so far. :lol:

Shrieker

Do you guys think F1 went the wrong way with halo ? I mean there are no reflections on that screen even under floodlights, and looking towards the apex i see no distortion at all.

And it looks sick af up close. From afar, it's just the same as before; you see the driver's helmet unobstructed. I would like to see it's figures vs the halo (force dissipation etc.).
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

djos

Shrieker wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 02:00
https://youtu.be/vzVjWy6pIX8?t=66

Do you guys think F1 went the wrong way with halo ? I mean there are no reflections on that screen even under floodlights, and looking towards the apex i see no distortion at all.

And it looks sick af up close. From afar, it's just the same as before; you see the driver's helmet unobstructed. I would like to see it's figures vs the halo (force dissipation etc.).
Yep, completely the wrong direction - and not just because halo is frickin ugly as hell!

From an engineering standpoint, imo the FiA has set itself up with a positively ridiculous goal which add's a huge amount of weight to the cars while only protecting the drivers from very large very heavy objects. Frankly it seems to be like they are trying to protect against flying wheels and Tractors at the expense of everything else. It's total madness! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

Moose

djos wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 02:28
Shrieker wrote:

Yep, completely the wrong direction - and not just because halo is frickin ugly as hell!

From an engineering standpoint, imo the FiA has set itself up with a positively ridiculous goal which add's a huge amount of weight to the cars while only protecting the drivers from very large very heavy objects. Frankly it seems to be like they are trying to protect against flying wheels and Tractors at the expense of everything else. It's total madness! #-o
They certainly aren't trying to protect against tractors - their own analysis says there was absolutely nothing that could be done to prevent that death, short of a head height crumple zone.

However, yes, they're trying to protect against large objects, because THAT'S WHAT KILLS OR SERIOUSLY INJURES drivers.

Drivers haven't been killed or seriously injured by small objects that the Halo wouldn't have stopped. They have been by wheels, springs, fence posts, etc. There's a slide deck out there that analyses which accidents a halo like solution would have prevented, and which it wouldn't, it deals with the vast majority of recent serious accidents. None of the other solutions did.

Zynerji

Moose wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 05:08
djos wrote:
Shrieker wrote:

They certainly aren't trying to protect against tractors - their own analysis says there was absolutely nothing that could be done to prevent that death, short of a head height crumple zone.

However, yes, they're trying to protect against large objects, because THAT'S WHAT KILLS OR SERIOUSLY INJURES drivers.

Drivers haven't been killed or seriously injured by small objects that the Halo wouldn't have stopped. They have been by wheels, springs, fence posts, etc. There's a slide deck out there that analyses which accidents a halo like solution would have prevented, and which it wouldn't, it deals with the vast majority of recent serious accidents. None of the other solutions did.
Massa would disagree...

Moose

Zynerji wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 05:15
Massa would disagree...

And, imho, there is a point that dead is better than being a vegetable.
The analysis showed that Massa's accident would have been mitigated by the halo. Further, developments on the helmets themselves have also mitigated it. So that doesn't seem like a very good counter example to me.

Finally, "there exists an accident that this would not completely prevent" is not evidence that the device is not valuable. By that logic, seatbelts, carbon fibre tubs, roll hoops and crumple zones are all useless, since none of them prevent every single accident.

djos

Moose wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 06:01
The analysis showed that Massa's accident would have been mitigated by the halo. Further, developments on the helmets themselves have also mitigated it. So that doesn't seem like a very good counter example to me.
Analysis, more like wishful thinking!
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Moose wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 05:08
djos wrote:
That was sarcasm on my part, sorry it wasnt clear.
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

We will never know what the halo would have done for Massa, but to say it would have helped is no different to saying it couod have made it worse. Just an example,
A metal object hitting in the crash helmet at 140mph,
Or that same object deflected downward and hitting the chest at 100mph.

The indycar screen would most probably cracked, but fired the metal object way away from the driver.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

One situation where the halo will be the best solution is head on in to tyre barriers. We've seen cases of the cars burying in to the barrier up to the driver's head. Kovalainen in Spain 2008 comes to mind. The halo will keep a clear space around the driver in such cases.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.