2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

the EDGE wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 20:59
Looks cool, what’s the range of one of those?
500 MILES on a single charge.
"That is 500 miles at maximum weight, at highway speed, so you are doing 60 mph," Tesla CEO Elon Musk told a crowd in Los Angeles Thursday night. "That is the worst case scenario."
Musk said the truck can beat a diesel truck in a straight line, up a 5 percent grade, and even without two of its four independent motors functioning.

The truck can go from 0-60 in 5 seconds by itself, or in 20 seconds with an 80,000 pound load.

Musk said the truck will beat diesel trucks in terms of price per mile when the total cost of ownership is factored in, Musk said.

Musk also said the truck drives far more easily than diesel trucks.

Every truck will come with Autopilot standard. The truck's low center of gravity will make it difficult for the truck to rollover, and impossible to jack-knife, Musk said.

Tesla will also build a network of Tesla "Megachargers" that will charge the trucks' batteries to a 400 mile range in 30 minutes.

The company will guarantee the truck will not break down for 1 million miles.
so let's say they can go 400 miles, do a 30-minute recharge, and do another 400 miles, etc. etc.

that means in more or less 7 hours the truck will do 400 miles including a recharge.
since drivers need to do a break every so many hours anyway, that would be a conveniant stop.

BUT if i recall they start production in 2019 so i guess i'm too eager. or perhaps not, who knows.
maybe Mclaren can get a pre-order? Would be interesting to see Mclaren and Tesla joining forces.
I think that would be a very, very interesting partnership.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Postmoe

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 21:14
the EDGE wrote:
"That is 500 miles at maximum weight, at highway speed, so you are doing 60 mph," Tesla CEO Elon Musk told a crowd in Los Angeles Thursday night. "That is the worst case scenario."
Musk said the truck can beat a diesel truck in a straight line, up a 5 percent grade, and even without two of its four independent motors functioning.

The truck can go from 0-60 in 5 seconds by itself, or in 20 seconds with an 80,000 pound load.

Musk said the truck will beat diesel trucks in terms of price per mile when the total cost of ownership is factored in, Musk said.

Every truck will come with Autopilot standard. The truck's low center of gravity will make it difficult for the truck to rollover, and impossible to jack-knife, Musk said.

Tesla will also build a network of Tesla "Megachargers" that will charge the trucks' batteries to a 400 mile range in 30 minutes.

so let's say they can go 400 miles, do a 30-minute recharge, and do another 400 miles, etc. etc.

that means in more or less 7 hours the truck will do 400 miles including a recharge.
since drivers need to do a break every so many hours anyway, that would be a conveniant stop.

BUT if i recall they start production in 2019 so i guess i'm too eager. or perhaps not, who knows.
maybe Mclaren can get a pre-order? Would be interesting to see Mclaren and Tesla joining forces.
[iImage

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 16:16
Who knows, maybe they have something special in store since they announced that they will introduce a new package in Melbourne. I still find it intriguing that McLaren want to have the sharkfin banned.
That is almost always the case. The testing package will use as much from last year as possible that is visible to the eye.
That has changed since testing has been limited to just 8 days.

RonDennis

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 20:43
With Mclaren stating they're intending to 'be the team on the grid' to look at also with their motorhomes and stuff,
could we be seeing Mclaren with Tesla Semi Trucks?

https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/up ... 4_Blue.jpg
Nah,

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/volvo-trucks/

the EDGE

0-60 in 5 seconds, that will cut down on traffic jams

At last... a proper use for an electric vehicle

NathanOlder

the EDGE wrote:
About twice the range of the honda equivalent
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

the EDGE wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 22:57
0-60 in 5 seconds, that will cut down on traffic jams

At last... a proper use for an electric vehicle
That's unloaded,
so just the truck itself.
Factory-original Volvo trucks, and surely other brands too,
have pretty amazing 0-60 times too - unloaded that is.

still, 20 secs to reach 60 for 80.000 pounds of load is pretty amazing.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 22:56
Manoah2u wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 20:43
With Mclaren stating they're intending to 'be the team on the grid' to look at also with their motorhomes and stuff,
could we be seeing Mclaren with Tesla Semi Trucks?

https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/up ... 4_Blue.jpg
Nah,

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/volvo-trucks/
I don't expect that to change - yet - but it must be said, that is still last year's partner and truck.
It still says Mclaren-Honda on the top of the truck.

Manoah2u

Postmoe wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 22:30
Manoah2u wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

[ihttps://i.imgur.com/P4fUTyK.png
i don't see the problem in your reference.

the Volvo truck needs Diesel, and one charge of diesel in the fuel tank has a limited range too. The only difference is that Diesel is pumped in the truck in a matter of minutes versus 30 minutes of a 400 mile charge. But most truckers when pumping for gas/diesel that is, go into the shop and consume a cup of coffee and not uncommon a greasy meal, park the truck meanwhile around the corner, which alltogether will take 30 minutes the least anyway. Especially if they also need to rest - and combine with a sanitary stop.

So in this case, you'll park your Tesla Semi at the charging station, it'll charge for 30 minutes whilst you do all that, and when the 30 minutes are finished you have done all the above without having to move and park your truck, and hit the road again. Did i mention it is also autonomous? in other words, you can sit back and it drives itself.

These trucks are going to hit the road soon and the old diesels will fast become obsolete. The total pricing of the Tesla trucks is even financially more interesting than a diesel, and combined with the fact these will also be a business product rather than a private vehicle will prove interesting for many countries - such as the Netherlands just to name one, where you'll find interesting fiscal benefits due to 'environmental benefits' being a vehicle that has 0% active pollution. It's going to revolutionize the entire transport sector. It only is logical that we'll see it as soon as possible in Formula 1 and Formula E for that matter too.

Postmoe

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 10:30
Postmoe wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

the Volvo truck needs Diesel, and one charge of diesel in the fuel tank has a limited range too. The only difference is that Diesel is pumped in the truck in a matter of minutes versus 30 minutes of a 400 mile charge. But most truckers when pumping for gas/diesel that is, go into the shop and consume a cup of coffee and not uncommon a greasy meal, park the truck meanwhile around the corner, which alltogether will take 30 minutes the least anyway. Especially if they also need to rest - and combine with a sanitary stop.

So in this case, you'll park your Tesla Semi at the charging station, it'll charge for 30 minutes whilst you do all that, and when the 30 minutes are finished you have done all the above without having to move and park your truck, and hit the road again. Did i mention it is also autonomous? in other words, you can sit back and it drives itself.

These trucks are going to hit the road soon and the old diesels will fast become obsolete. The total pricing of the Tesla trucks is even financially more interesting than a diesel, and combined with the fact these will also be a business product rather than a private vehicle will prove interesting for many countries - such as the Netherlands just to name one, where you'll find interesting fiscal benefits due to 'environmental benefits' being a vehicle that has 0% active pollution. It's going to revolutionize the entire transport sector. It only is logical that we'll see it as soon as possible in Formula 1 and Formula E for that matter too.
This is completely OT but...

Electric may replace diesel trucks, but they'll never make them obsolete, merely unfashionable.

Developing a rational approach to transport taking into account logistics would make everything focus heavily on railroads, which would have more autonomy, load, infrastructure costs... and telecommuting. Instead, we are talking about the very stupid electric heavy truck. I can only laugh at the possibility of a Tesla refrigerated thing and its incredible range.

Electric cars are only interesting in order to lower particle and other emmissions from highly congested cities. It makes no sense as a long commute or cargo transport, the battery tech available nowadays makes them per se obsolete. If lithium alternatives are found, then we can start to talk about electric trucks, perhaps.

Tesla approach is to automotive industry what Calatrava's horrors are to architecture. Void of meaning and practicality, pure onanism, untechnicality, bad taste, not even a candidate for hybris.

Manoah2u

Postmoe wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 11:11
Manoah2u wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

Electric may replace diesel trucks, but they'll never make them obsolete, merely unfashionable.

Developing a rational approach to transport taking into account logistics would make everything focus heavily on railroads, which would have more autonomy, load, infrastructure costs... and telecommuting.
you have no idea what you're talking about. railroads are one-dimensional and you still need to get the product to the customer, which is not at a trainstation. the year is not 1875.
Instead, we are talking about the very stupid electric heavy truck. I can only laugh at the possibility of a Tesla refrigerated thing and its incredible range.
what an uneducated, uninsightful and really 'stupid' comment.
the truck is not stupid, it's a brilliant piece of next-gen engineering.
refrigerated thing? absolute clueless.
you have clearly zero understanding of infrastructure, transportation, and engineering.
Electric cars are only interesting in order to lower particle and other emmissions from highly congested cities. It makes no sense as a long commute or cargo transport, the battery tech available nowadays makes them per se obsolete. If lithium alternatives are found, then we can start to talk about electric trucks, perhaps.
are you living in this planet today or 30 years ago? they're gonna hit the market in 2019 period and take over the transport industry. we have countless electric vehicles (tesla's just for your info) driving around for YEARS already, and they do LONG commutes. there are already lots of small electric 'mini'trucks [that can't go faster than 50 mph] doing small deliveries in the city.

we don't have to 'start' talking about electric trucks, they're HERE. and 2019 you'll see them EVERYWHERE #-o
Tesla approach is to automotive industry what Calatrava's horrors are to architecture. Void of meaning and practicality, pure onanism, untechnicality, bad taste, not even a candidate for hybris.
i correct myself. this is the most uneducated response i've seen yet.

i think you need to get outside more and see what's happening in the world. electric vehicles are practical, far more technologically advanced, and winning terrain on hybrids gigantically.

gasoline powered cars are mandated to be replaced by full electric vehicles in a decade's time in some countries already, meaning gasoline car's are not going to be allowed to be sold anymore.

there's only 1 thing you are right about in your entire non-sensical post; that in a Mclaren Team thread, this is offtopic. #-o

Postmoe

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 11:44
Postmoe wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 11:11
Manoah2u wrote:

Developing a rational approach to transport taking into account logistics would make everything focus heavily on railroads, which would have more autonomy, load, infrastructure costs... and telecommuting.
you have no idea what you're talking about. railroads are one-dimensional and you still need to get the product to the customer, which is not at a trainstation. the year is not 1875.
Instead, we are talking about the very stupid electric heavy truck. I can only laugh at the possibility of a Tesla refrigerated thing and its incredible range.
what an uneducated, uninsightful and really 'stupid' comment.
the truck is not stupid, it's a brilliant piece of next-gen engineering.
refrigerated thing? absolute clueless.
you have clearly zero understanding of infrastructure, transportation, and engineering.
are you living in this planet today or 30 years ago? they're gonna hit the market in 2019 period and take over the transport industry. we have countless electric vehicles (tesla's just for your info) driving around for YEARS already, and they do LONG commutes. there are already lots of small electric 'mini'trucks [that can't go faster than 50 mph] doing small deliveries in the city.

we don't have to 'start' talking about electric trucks, they're HERE. and 2019 you'll see them EVERYWHERE #-o
i correct myself. this is the most uneducated response i've seen yet.

i think you need to get outside more and see what's happening in the world. electric vehicles are practical, far more technologically advanced, and winning terrain on hybrids gigantically.

gasoline powered cars are mandated to be replaced by full electric vehicles in a decade's time in some countries already, meaning gasoline car's are not going to be allowed to be sold anymore.

there's only 1 thing you are right about in your entire non-sensical post; that in a Mclaren Team thread, this is offtopic. #-o
You talk like a salesman that cannot sell.

I've seen sufficient trends go up and down not to be impressed. People tend to think technology is direct application of a patent, while it is truly something way more related to organization.

If those trucks would be coherently designed they would be developed for short distances distribution, not looking for the wow effect in the U.S market and competing in an area where turbo compound can probably make more sense (the big volume high load 300k+ commute).

Trying to be rational, I know countries where 80% of their logistics transport is made by truck. Unneducated as my views are, I cannot see how putting this massive and aberrant proportion into batteries would solve anything.

NathanOlder

Just out of interest, whats the range on a top diesel truck these days ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Nonserviam85

Constructive McLaren F1 team discussions...

bauc

Nonserviam85 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 13:04
Constructive McLaren F1 team discussions...
Agreed I cant wait to see the Mclaren F1 team trucks at the preseason testing, hopefully reliability and speed will be there, and we have no fuel consumption so fingers crossed :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Really guys... you went way off-topic
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg