Williams FW41 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Williams FW41 Mercedes

Seems like a rather large engine air scoop. Any ideas about that?

djones

I see a lot of copied parts, but no innovation.

As the copied parts are basically last generation, I can’t imagine this car being any improvement over the last in regards to average position in races etc.

Williams seems to be a business trying to survive now, rather than move up the grid. Two pay drivers being pivotal in that opinion I have made.

ScrewCaptain27

djones wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:13

As the copied parts are basically last generation, I can’t imagine this car being any improvement over the last in regards to average position in races etc.

Williams seems to be a business trying to survive now, rather than move up the grid. Two pay drivers being pivotal in that opinion I have made.
I disagree on innovation. The rear suspension and T-wing are quite unique to Williams, and the sidepod treatment is an interesting evolution of Ferrari and Merc’s concepts blended together.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

gastonmazzacane

djones wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:13
Why would someone show innovative parts at the launch?

Blackout

Rear susp is nothing special. Many cars have long pullrods like that.

bucker

I have to agree with some others. This is what was good at the end of first year of major aero changes from two best teams on the grid. Mercedes, Ferrari and also Red Bull made huge aero changes during the 2017 season, and they all said that being in their first year of those aero changes means, that they haven't exploited all the potential. So Williams probably won't gain anything compare to last years, because everybody else who already had this aero design will further develop it.

Sevach

I think the room for innovation is a lot more restricted than you guys expect.
Cars have been iterative for a long time now.

Zynerji

Sevach wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:40
I think the room for innovation is a lot more restricted than you guys expect.
Cars have been iterative for a long time now.
The switch to 2M cars changed everything tho, so they really are only on their 2nd year of understanding these aero concepts, and their scope of development.

roon

I like the symbolism of connecting the Merc whiskers to the Ferrari sidepod-endplates.

Shrieker

I'll risk a downvote and say it looks good despite the halo. Better than anticipated :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sevach

Shrieker wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 22:47
I'll risk a downvote and say it looks good despite the halo. Better than anticipated :)

Halo has no fairing yet from what i can tell...

Maritimer

Was last year's car in testing as plain as the render they had released? I'd imagine most of the surfaces will be different come testing to some degree, no?

Sevach

Maritimer wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:20
Was last year's car in testing as plain as the render they had released? I'd imagine most of the surfaces will be different come testing to some degree, no?
It was pretty accurate actually, everybody assumed the car would be way more sophisticated come testing... but... nope.

Manoah2u

Sevach wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:44
Maritimer wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:20
It was pretty accurate actually, everybody assumed the car would be way more sophisticated come testing... but... nope.

honestly, i don't see any agressive breach from the predecessors. all i see is a 'natural' evolution.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ashwinv16

It's just a car launch so the car does not look interesting, but it surely is no longer a low drag concept. Obviously Ferrari's Sidepod covering flow conditioners seems to be mainstream solution although it is important to remember that both Toro-Rosso and Mercedes raised their upper front wishbone to counteract the same problem(But it also required changing the suspension geometry for stability) so it will be interesting to see how many more teams employ Ferrari's solution to the larger front Tyre wake or will there be teams employing Toro-Rosso's version.

Williams version however is very simple and the Sidepod intake can easily be compared to the 2017-2016 versions although the same cannot be said for the Sidepod itself which has been on summer body diet and the intake itself is placed much higher to aid the flow-conditioners in front of it. Like the Haas and last year's Ferrari the mandatory side crash structure is placed in the flow conditioners and not in the Sidepods(Notice how thick the black section is). Also the deflectors like the Ferrari focus on moving the air around the Sidepods (Unlike Haas's version which almost solely focuses on pushing the air above the Sidepods and relying on creating a "curtain" of vortices to minimise the effect of front tyre wake downstream while the large plate-like deflectors in the Williams acts like the "Curtain" by itself. It's also why the Haas has a blown axle while the Williams doesn't need it(At least until the more downforce heavy circuits like Barcelona where Drag does not matter that much)*.

T-wings obviously exploit the allowed 650mm above the reference plane(Skid plate of the car)

This is the first car that gives a glimpse of the rear diffuser which in the Williams is very complex compared to the 2017 version. They clearly moved away from the smooth cut-off to the use of the gurney flaps as the outer wall thus showing they moved away from low drag concept(The 2017 Diffuser in the Ferrari was probably the most flawed concept as they tried to make a low Drag diffuser to produce more downforce which added more drag unfortunately which did work at low speed circuits but affected it's High speed cornering (Not Medium speed, high speed like Silverstone, the car was fast in Malaysia)

2017 diffuser

* These airflow conditioners and deflectors are now one of the most complicated areas and different cars require different treatments to it depending on the flow coming from the barge-boards(Inner side of the front wheels), but at the same time it also have to minimise the effect of front tyre wake.

Great details in the launch car but sure for more to come (Like a Blown Axle for example)
Last edited by Ashwinv16 on 16 Feb 2018, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
Halo not as bad as we thought