Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1NAC

Re: Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 17:54
Low downforce design? Maybe you mean low-lift design (elegantly implemented by Williams, just for the record)?
Yes. Mistook DF with lift :D

Vanja #66

Just checking... :) All the more reason to implement this kind of solution.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

lio007

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/vid ... 18826.html
...pretty cool interview!

# Red Bull passed all it's crash tests by first attempt
# the full car is running on the dyno, and reliablity seems good
# they are doing a rollout next week in the UK
# PU for 2019 still not decided
Last edited by lio007 on 17 Feb 2018, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

Vladimir

Nice info, but goodbye from Viry Chatillon for 2019 [-o<

HPD

Interview with Marko. Unfortunately I do not understand the language haha

McHonda

HPD wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 13:31

I think these quotes are lifted from the same interview but I don't understand it either so I'm not 100%...

Dr.Marko wrote:"But what speaks against Red Bull this year, Mercedes and Ferrari could steal the show? Marko points to the engine situation. The Renault powertrain should be "stable and have more power in 2018, and we'll be riding a competitive chassis right from the beginning, but Mercedes is making a new engine, so the question is whether the lead will be even bigger."

After all, the signals coming from the Renault drive factory in Viry are positive. "If the engine does what we're promised, then we should be a lot closer to Mercedes, and meanwhile, we've also done a test-bench run with the entire car, which has gone well so far."

In addition, according to Marko, Red Bull will travel to Barcelona for a winter test with a rejected RB14. This also has to do with the fact that it is planned for the first time in a long time again Shakedown in the UK, instead of using as in previous years, the first two days of testing to perform the function tests.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/formel- ... l-18021706

I don't know what a "rejected" RB14 is,lol. Got to love Google Translate.

McHonda

Already running the entire car on a dyno. =D>

This kind of advantage is worth it's weight in gold, they can run it 24/7 before most have fired up never mind get to the test track. It's really what puts Red Bull,Ferrari and Mercedes on another level really. No chance they turn up with silly issues anymore and can get straight down to business because of the running on their full chassis dyno's. Isn't Red Bulls supposed to be hooked up to a full sim as well or was that just a rumour/BS?

One thing on the McLaren documentary that was strange or not really dug into was the full chassis dyno availability and usage with Honda. I'm positive they've got one, An engineer on the show mentioned putting together a chassis to send over to Sakura, but it seemed very late and tbh it sounds pretty daft to have one but keep it in Japan rather than MK or Woking,that seems a complete waste of time and expense shipping it that late in the day. It's only going to get up and running on the dyno after the tests and not long before Melbourne you would think so I wonder what the whole situation was around that.

Just seemed like an afterthought to me but there's not much info so I'm maybe being harsh or misunderstood it. It could just be boring old resources and they simply can't knock up a quick mock up of the car as quick as some others can.

lio007

McHonda wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 15:03
HPD wrote:

I think these quotes are lifted from the same interview but I don't understand it either so I'm not 100%...

Dr.Marko wrote:"But what speaks against Red Bull this year, Mercedes and Ferrari could steal the show? Marko points to the engine situation. The Renault powertrain should be "stable and have more power in 2018, and we'll be riding a competitive chassis right from the beginning, but Mercedes is making a new engine, so the question is whether the lead will be even bigger."

After all, the signals coming from the Renault drive factory in Viry are positive. "If the engine does what we're promised, then we should be a lot closer to Mercedes, and meanwhile, we've also done a test-bench run with the entire car, which has gone well so far."

In addition, according to Marko, Red Bull will travel to Barcelona for a winter test with a rejected RB14. This also has to do with the fact that it is planned for the first time in a long time again Shakedown in the UK, instead of using as in previous years, the first two days of testing to perform the function tests.

It is quite an interesting interview and covers a lot of topics. Sometimes it's nice to be a german native speaker ;-)
As the interview is almost half an hour long, a transcript would take some time.
en.fi1.com often brings AMuS-interviews a few days after publication.

McHonda

Nice. Anything on 2019 engine supply and Honda in general?

Blackout

He said they have plenty of time (until summer) to decide and that they're impressed by Honda's commitement and ambition. Honda dyno test are going well according to him.

lio007

McHonda wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 15:34
Nice. Anything on 2019 engine supply and Honda in general?
Here are some bits:
lio007 wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 12:52
...pretty cool interview!

# Red Bull passed all it's crash tests by first attempt
# the full car is running on the dyno, and reliablity seems good
# they are doing a rollout next week in the UK
# PU for 2019 still not decided

lio007

bosyber

McHonda wrote:
HPD wrote:

Knowing German, I did listen to the interview, but also can't quite make out where that 'rejected' comes from; I think it might have been 'abgebaut' or something. Anyway, the intent of what was said was indeed that by finally being ready putting the car together more than an hour before/into testing, they now can hope to just test rather lose time with stupid 'need hole here, grind off there' stuff.

lio007

bosyber wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 16:17
McHonda wrote:
HPD wrote:

Knowing German, I did listen to the interview, but also can't quite make out where that 'rejected' comes from; I think it might have been 'abgebaut' or something. Anyway, the intent of what was said was indeed that by finally being ready putting the car together more than an hour before/into testing, they now can hope to just test rather lose time with stupid 'need hole here, grind off there' stuff.
I think it is mistranslated. They are going to go to Barcelona with a "well prepared" RB14. He used the German word "sortiert", which means well prepared.

timekiller001

bosyber wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 16:17
McHonda wrote:
HPD wrote:

The "rejected" is translated by Google from the word "aussortiert" - "sorted out" as in no surprising problems as you said.

EDIT: too slow...