McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bauc

Re: McLaren MCL33

Great analysis
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

PlatinumZealot

Is it just me or is the same 2017 car with a Halo on it and the monkey seat removed?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Manoah2u

1a. studio shots blue on orange don't look flattering at all. though i would have preferred black over the blue, the circuit shots however don't look bad at all.
1b. that is a seriously empty body. nearly zero sponsors, no mclaren name, no chandon on the sidepods. looks weird, actually.
2. floor looks like what i expected to see last year - i think that was the original intent, but they had to make sacrifices because of the engine, which would make the floor 'trick' unneccesary.
3. weird lizard scales on the sidepods
4. complicated front wing
5. is it me, or does it look like mclaren's halo is seated higher?!!!!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bauc

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 13:09
Is it just me or is the same 2017 car with a Halo on it and the monkey seat removed?!
In most aspects you kinda can say its a MCL32-B, but like they announced, they will bring a massive update for the first race
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

f1316

I’m pretty sure it’s longer for one thing.

designf1

Here is the wheelbase comparison from above article:

garyjpaterson

designf1 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 13:29
Here is the wheelbase comparison from above article:

https://formulaone21.files.wordpress.co ... png?w=1680
Don't think that is remotely close, being the FOV/perspective is quite different in each photo. Especially as the lines used to match up various points on are different planes from the camera, ie the wheel faces are on 1 plane, but the rear wind end plate or chassis/wing mirrors are on another.

Redragon

JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 10:30
The picture of it with the drivers next to it above looks exceptional. I think the studio lighting and ‘shopped photos don’t really do it justice.

Overall it does look to be a simple evolution of last years car, but maybe that’s good? I remember the comparative simplicity of the Ferrari in 2008 (much simpler) vs the Mclaren (much more complex) and they performed very similarly. It’s just different philosophies to end up at the same point.
It is funny becasuse is the picture photoshoped, they added the car afterwards they took the picture of the drivers. you just have to see the different lighting.

benbirtwistlef1

Oh DearImage

Nonserviam85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 13:09
Agreed.

RZS10

One way to get a somewhat more valid wheelbase comparison with shots from a similar perspective but different zoom/lens is trying to get to the center of the car on the axles after making sure the wheels have the same diameter (checking top to bottom since that does not change as much or at all with perspective)... but it's harder to do on real pics than in this shitty example made in paint

edit: ok i've done it with a similar result ... :roll:

Last edited by RZS10 on 23 Feb 2018, 15:11, edited 5 times in total.

cplchanb

Love the colour hate the livery....it makes mclaren look poor and broke without any major sponsors. It definitely has some unique parts though

PlatinumZealot

RZS10 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:21
The only way to get a somewhat valid wheelbase comparison with shots from a similar perspective but different zoom/lens is trying to get to the center of the car on the axles after making sure the wheels have the same diameter (checking top to bottom since that does not change as much or at all with perspective)... but it's harder to do on real pics than in this shitty example made in paint
https://i.imgur.com/OBu9fhj.png
You can use the rear wing and front wing endplates plus a bit of trigonometry to adjust to something reasonable i supoose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Redragon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 15:04
RZS10 wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 14:21
The only way to get a somewhat valid wheelbase comparison with shots from a similar perspective but different zoom/lens is trying to get to the center of the car on the axles after making sure the wheels have the same diameter (checking top to bottom since that does not change as much or at all with perspective)... but it's harder to do on real pics than in this shitty example made in paint
https://i.imgur.com/OBu9fhj.png
You can use the rear wing and front wing endplates plus a bit of trigonometry to adjust to something reasonable i supoose.
The only way to do from two different pictures is to access the EXIF data of the pictures to know what lenses were used for the shots, that would give you a more precise metering of the distance but unfortunately the high of the camera from where it was taking from is not on the EXIF so it would be still a close call but not precise at all.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare