McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Redragon

Re: McLaren MCL33

Interesting this bulks on the top of the rear suspension, it seems to be working to assist the flow on rear wing
Could they get higher over the tests or season? Defenitely not sensors as they are on the launch pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onzmpb47b73o9 ... k.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed4629fljlod3 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

PhillipM

It's where the pullrod attaches.

ringo

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 18:17
I look forward to some more detailed photos to see how they are getting away with those slots along the floor by the sidepods...
I could be wrong but the regs allow you to do these kinds of hole and radii at the outer 50mm of the floor. That freedom has been in place for years, but i suppose no one explored it, or if it was explored wasn't done in a way that had beneficial results so was not pursued.
For Sure!!

roon

Pullrod might be for aero reasons. It moves it away from the brake duct complex, an already crowded region. Otherwise, it's installation angle would seemingly become more vertical. An advantage to kinematics? If the pullrod is closer to 45*, would this reduce stresses on the pullrod? Allowing it to be thinner.

Overall the car is really polished. Literally. It's so smooth, like a river stone. The surface continuity around the junction of the RW support and engine cover is quite nice. Good attention to detail there.

This car: Deceptively simple?
Last edited by roon on 25 Feb 2018, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Postmoe

I love the amount of free space between the floor and the suspension arm.

PlatinumZealot

Redragon wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 21:17
Interesting this bulks on the top of the rear suspension, it seems to be working to assist the flow on rear wing
Could they get higher over the tests or season? Defenitely not sensors as they are on the launch pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onzmpb47b73o9 ... k.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed4629fljlod3 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
Just pure aerodynamics. Let the suspension designers sort their own problems out seems to be the philosophy here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Chuckjr

If the long floor slots were an easy copy (relatively speaking) they'd have waited till last moment to add them and held an advantage for at least one race. Sorry if someone already mentioned that don't mean to repeat.

Imo, there's a lot to come with this car. This would not be the first time Macca has launched a car that didn't resemble the actual race fit car in critical areas (remember the coanda launch appearance?) I expect more at testing, and more first race. Macca car development is always top notch, top notch!

The car looks spectacular on the tarmac, really. Well done McLaren. =D> I hope Fred has a solid shot at winning races with this car, he and the team certainly deserve it. #DareToDream
Watching F1 since 1986.

Restomaniac

Chuckjr wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 07:41
If the long floor slots were an easy copy (relatively speaking) they'd have waited till last moment to add them and held an advantage for at least one race. Sorry if someone already mentioned that don't mean to repeat.

Imo, there's a lot to come with this car. This would not be the first time Macca has launched a car that didn't resemble the actual race fit car in critical areas (remember the coanda launch appearance?) I expect more at testing, and more first race. Macca car development is always top notch, top notch!

The car looks spectacular on the tarmac, really. Well done McLaren. =D> I hope Fred has a solid shot at winning races with this car, he and the team certainly deserve it. #DareToDream
Indeed.
Just imagine a season of Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen climbing all over each other for podiums and wins.

mclaren111

bauc - Halo Tread:

Quite a curve of the Engine Cover behind Halo (Petrobras sign).

tranquility2k4

How on earth do McLaren have such a small engine roll hoop inlet compared with Renault and Red Bull, and yet their sidepods are also tiny? They have done a great job of packaging the PU and one would imagine this first iteration is also conservative and may get tightened up even more once they know the cooling works. Dare I say, could this be a sign of McLaren bringing back cutting edge innovative technology, as they used to have regularly?

Honestly, I was dissapointed at first with the lack of anything spectacular from an aero perspective, but I think they could have a few tricks up their sleeve - I really think the treatment on the top of the sidepod is temporary and may have nothing to do with their final design. Maybe McLaren have something so clever up their sleeve that they don't want to reveal it until the last minute, and don't want to give any hints.

f1rules

seems they are still able to get the frontwing very close to the ground like last year despite tightening of suspension rules, since drs is open we can assume its not a curve and its not diving under breaking

f1rules

GoranF1

It seem Mcl33 will have shortest wheel base this year, almost everyone have increased theirs.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

JPBD1990

What is the black bar visible in the side view posted above?

Sorry I’m a noob and can’t post photos. But it runs along the bottom of the sidepod and looks to link up to the rear suspension somehow??

tomazy

It is an optical illusion. That is only the curve where the sidepods meet the floore nothing more.