2018 F1 car comparison

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomazy

2018 F1 car comparison

Here is a quick comparison of Haas and Williams cars, both CG but still better than nothing.

Edit: Haas
Last edited by tomazy on 22 Feb 2018, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.

rscsr

Re: 2018 F1 car comparison

ftfy
tomazy wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 17:27
Here is a quick comparison of Haas and Williams cars, both CG but still better than nothing.

https://image.ibb.co/dwUyo7/2112.jpg

Godius

From AMuS (sidepod leading edge location):

roon

RB seem to have the most revised and unique aero concept seen so far.

Manoah2u

roon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 21:22
perhaps take a look at the Alfa Romeo sauber and Ferrari?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

roon

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Feb 2018, 00:11
roon wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 21:22
perhaps take a look at the Alfa Romeo sauber and Ferrari?
Sauber's is derivative of Ferrari. Ferrari evolved last year's concepts, same for Merc. Williams is a blend of Ferrari & Merc. I don't intend any of this as criticism or slight. We'll see what STR, Mac, and FI have in store.

Vanja #66

Both Red Bull and Ferrari have taken some big steps in car evolution (unlike Merc or McLaren, yet), but in general Williams, Sauber and Haas (in that order) have changed their cars the most.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon

Amazing looking field this year. The Merc stood out last year, but no longer.

Just_a_fan

The McLaren and the RedBull are tied, for me, as best looking of the field. I so much hope that McLaren run that Papaya livery all season. It's just so refreshing to have a simple, pure, colour for a change. Harks back to the day...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moose

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 23:46
The McLaren and the RedBull are tied, for me, as best looking of the field. I so much hope that McLaren run that Papaya livery all season. It's just so refreshing to have a simple, pure, colour for a change. Harks back to the day...
I'm going to go with McLaren and Mercedes for the best looking personally. I guess we can all agree though that McLaren is a looker! I hope she's as quick as she looks.

roon

The McLaren engine-only roll hoop inlet is interesting, only one in the field. The 'airbox' is half the width of the Renault, if not less than.

bill shoe

Almost all teams using 2017 Ferrari type sidepod inlet that flow over the upper side-impact structure. Predictably, Ferrari has the most extreme Ferrari intake.

Undercut on sidepods has reached pretty consistent new extreme, at least in half of the field. Merc and McLaren seem to be using last year's old extreme undercut. The mid-bodywork on all cars (sidepods and engine covers) have delicious curves.

Colors are consistently good too, oops not technical comment.

Force India has done great with the nostril-nose over the last two or three seasons, totally punching above their weight. Yet no copies (except for the awkward Sauber nose, maybe?). Maybe the top teams are too gun-shy given the generally failed history of gimmick noses. FI may have a gimmick that works.

Suprised that no additional teams have gone for the Mercedes/ToroRosso front suspension with upper balljoint outside of the wheel.

The Merc cape under the nose (itself a more extreme version of previous devices that probably started several years ago with the McLaren cape) is being used on several cars this year.

There is pretty clear convergence in most aero free-zones such as front wings. But the barge-board area still looks different on every car. More complicated with each passing year, but every car still different. Red Bull is the one exception to complicated, but that proves my point about different.

Wheelbase converging towards ultra-long Mercedes dimension, not what I would have guessed as recently as 2 weeks ago. Will be interesting to see if shorter wheelbases (McLaren?) work well. It's known that tradeoff of ultra-long wheelbase is more weight. Would LOVE to be fly on the wall when cars are weighed during Melborne tech inspection. Why are weights kept secret?!?!--> Fix this Chase, Ross, et al !

Suspension a-arms going further from structural ideal and going more in direction of ideal aero vanes.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NutritionFact

There is much more halo on the merc...
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger