F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Some more info on the OTT availability, and some other stuff:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brat ... 09385/?s=1
Bratches also said F1 had settled on the countries that would get access to F1's new OTT streaming service that was being made available.

"We are going to launch in China, USA, Latam, other than Brazil, Germany, France and a number of other Nordic countries," he said.

zeph

Good news!

And the pricing is still somewhat affordable. Although, if they say $8-12 p/m, it’s probably the latter in the USA, which brings it to $144 p/y. I was hoping for $3-5 per race, and pay-as-you-go, so I can skip races I won’t be able to watch live.

Still, this is one step closer to ditching cable TV. And that can only be a good thing.

Sebp

What do you think, will we get to see classic GPs on the platform too at some point?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

rscsr

Sebp wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 20:10
What do you think, will we get to see classic GPs on the platform too at some point?
yes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... rvice.html]
A less expensive, non-live subscription tier, F1 TV Access will provide live race timing data and radio commentary, as well as extended highlights of each session from the race weekend. It will also be underscored by unprecedented access to archive video content from the amazing historic archive owned by Formula 1. F1 TV Access will be available on a near-global basis at launch, to complement F1 TV Pro.

r101

Testing would be a big plus for me. They are already late :(.

Gerhardsa

I would like to know the "almost two dozen" markets exactly. Who is on the list, and who is not.
If Canada is on, I am happy.

Thunder

Will everybody able to Access the World Feed? I mean German Commentary by the RTL Guys? Is that a Joke?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Gerhardsa

I suppose as you can select which language you want to use inside the app.

Gerhardsa wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 15:06
I would like to know the "almost two dozen" markets exactly. Who is on the list, and who is not.
If Canada is on, I am happy.
I have read that Canada is not. From what I understand TSN has the rights through 2019. I would suspect as the old contracts end and are renegotiated more countries will get the OTT treatment.

Moose

F1 TV

Looks like the FOM have nailed it on what they're providing via their streaming service!

• Commercial Free
• All 20 on-board cameras available for you to manually chose
• Unique feeds
• All Practice, Qualifying and Race sessions streamed live
• All Support Races including F2, GP3, and Porche Supercup streamed live
• Initially available via a web page, but mobile and TV Apps for Amazon, Apple and Android platforms coming.
• $8-12 per month.

This looks absolutely perfect to me! Good job FOM!

nevill3

Re: F1 TV

I agree, the new proposed service is exactly what I have been hoping for for years, ever since the terrestrial tv service finished.
To be able to watch all the practice sessions and races live is the only way I can enjoy the sport, highlights interrupt the flow too much, especially when you are following one of the midfield drivers on a contra strategy and you miss their out of sequence pit stop or cheeky early stop to try and gain places and have to rely on the commentators to fill keep you up to date.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... rvice.html
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Sieper

What kind of bitrate / resolution will the main stream offer? I have glassfiber internet into my home and can currently only get a 7mbit stream via ziggo sport whilst I have room for like 100 fold that bitrate.

It is shaping up to be the cool service we indeed I think all waited for (so long). The one place be all and end all for viewing F1 for a comparatively small amount (especially when many people will use it).

Zynerji

Sieper wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 17:09
What kind of bitrate / resolution will the main stream offer? I have glassfiber internet into my home and can currently only get a 7mbit stream via ziggo sport whilst I have room for like 100 fold that bitrate.

It is shaping up to be the cool service we indeed I think all waited for (so long). The one place be all and end all for viewing F1 for a comparatively small amount (especially when many people will use it).
If they are going this far, It is probably a 4k base feed that will downsample based upon your bandwidth. I imagine most will watch at 720P (best bang for your bandwidth buck IMHO).

Sieper

I hope for 4K, but more important than the resolution is the encoding used and the actual bandwidth of the stream. This is a end-point to origin connection so likely indeed if you have a big bandwidth you could enjoy it in optimal quality but I hope for a high Mbit stream (with razorsharp picture quality as a result).

If they offer this I will replace my 50inch 720 P plasma with a 65inch 4K Oled in a heartbeat! LG should be sponsoring the Formula 1
Last edited by Sieper on 28 Feb 2018, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.