Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Juzh

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

djones wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 19:21
I think only a complete idiot would NOT use strategic grid penalties.
In b4 mercedes takes no engine related penalties all year, while easily dominating all power tracks (like all the years so far)

carisi2k

A previous post had a comparison picture between the 2017 rb13 and the 2018 RS18. The packaging on the RS18 is much more compact and seems to have a lower centre of gravity.

RonDennis
RonDennis

carisi2k wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 01:00
A previous post had a comparison picture between the 2017 rb13 and the 2018 RS18. The packaging on the RS18 is much more compact and seems to have a lower centre of gravity.
Using the works Renault as a case in point, the packing under the surface has changed significantly and that's partly been facilitated by some tweaks to the power unit package. Presumably, Red Bull with its tight sidepods has been helped by the same thing.

"It's a step forward," says Renault chassis technical director Nick Chester. "The packaging is a bit better for us and there's a little more power.

"It's an evolution of what we finished the year with, so there's a few things that are going to help us performance wise. But the biggest thing was making sure we could run a season on three engines, so they've worked very hard over the winter."

That performance gain is marginal, particularly given Ferrari and, in particular, Mercedes will also have gained over the winter. In Abu Dhabi last year, the Renault power units were sacrificing about three-tenths of performance in the name of reliability that should now be available. That plus a sundry tenth probably adds up to the performance gain Chester refers to.
Late last year, Renault started to phase in its G-spec V6 engine, which featured improved combustion chamber technology. This went well, and what might be termed the 'conventional' side of the game is at least close to where Mercedes and Ferrari are. But the potential for disparity in ERS performance is greater. This is where Renault's reliability main problems lie, this is where its theoretical performance is hidden and this is at the centre of its plans for a conservative start to this season.

"It's coming. I don't want to say too much now, but we have an important development in-season that should change the energy recovery related elements"
Cyril Abiteboul on Renault's new MGU-K
At the heart of the problem is the MGU-K. The first-generation Renault MGU-K was produced in association with Italian company Magneti Marelli. Renault decided to go it alone for the second generation, which was supposed to be introduced at the start of last season. It was postponed because of reliability problems, and it remains postponed.

Abiteboul won't be drawn on when this will be ready to race, and that's maybe because he doesn't yet know. But Renault is certainly hoping to introduce that specification during this season. The first window of opportunity will be whenever the scheduled second power units come on stream for the Renault teams, but he won't commit to a timescale for the arrival of a part that, when it has run in testing, has not been reliable.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/80 ... r-red-bull

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13460 ... -2-problem

Does Renault still allow customers to design their own exhausts? I know that they did back in the V8 days.

Who uses a 2 quid bolt to secure a 1000°C exhaust anyway ?

Sieper

Nobody.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Three Renault teams, three different fuel suppliers - if 2018 PU is designed for BP/Castrol which factory Renault team uses (which makes sense), does Red Bull (Esso) and McLaren (Petrobras) have less power compared to Renault? What do you think?

RonDennis
RonDennis

CLKGTR wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 01:36
Three Renault teams, three different fuel suppliers - if 2018 PU is designed for BP/Castrol which factory Renault team uses (which makes sense), does Red Bull (Esso) and McLaren (Petrobras) have less power compared to Renault? What do you think?
McLaren uses BP/Castrol, it's just being rebranded to Petrobras.

Renault will introduce a new spec of the engine in Melbourne.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

I didn't know that Petrobras thing was just a rebranding because news said that 'McLaren changes fuel supplier again', nobody says it's the same fuel

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13445 ... lier-again

And what about Red Bull and their Esso fuel and lubricants? I doubt same engine delivers same power with different fuels and lubricants.

RonDennis
RonDennis

CLKGTR wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 01:48
I didn't know that Petrobras thing was just a rebranding because news said that 'McLaren changes fuel supplier again', nobody says it's the same fuel

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13445 ... lier-again

And what about Red Bull and their Esso fuel and lubricants? I doubt same engine delivers same power with different fuels and lubricants.
Petrobras will do that next year. Mobil 1 does develop fuel for Red Bull, although I don't know about the differences.

PlatinumZealot

The engines are very expensive machines and as such will come with very detailed fuel requirements to meet the advertized power. All the fuel makers will meet this but they also spend a lrot of money trying to exceed it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DiogoBrand

I don't know if this actually happened, but I remember reading somewhere Williams used Petronas fuels in 2014 even though they were sponsored by Petrobras. McLaren supposedly had their fuel and lubricants supplied by ExxonMobil and actually lost performance because of that.

My point is: If Petrobras and ExxonMobil are going to sponsor McLaren and Red Bull, that doesn't necessarily stop them from getting their fuel and oil from BP, but if that happens it will never be public. No sponsor would want to see news like "Petrobras signs a multi-million dollar deal to put a sticker on McLaren's car, but they'll still get their petrol somewhere else".

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I know that pumpgas here is mixed at the distribution center. This center has one big tank of basic euro 95 and every brand adds their own mix of additives when they fill up the tanker truck.

Could this be possible for F1, where Esso/Petrobras are suppling barels of a basic spec and BP adds their “magic” mix?

FightingHellPhish
FightingHellPhish

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 10:47
I know that pumpgas here is mixed at the distribution center. This center has one big tank of basic euro 95 and every brand adds their own mix of additives when they fill up the tanker truck.

Could this be possible for F1, where Esso/Petrobras are suppling barels of a basic spec and BP adds their “magic” mix?
That sounds like a terrible way to make what should be a very precise product.

godlameroso

Better to have three large petrochem companies developing not just fuel but predictive models. There's only a handful of places on earth that actually manufacture gasoline, so don't think the difference in the actual fuel being used is all that different. The regulations are such that you can at best change the combustion properties of the fuel with certain additives, but you're not going to increase its energy density by much.
Saishū kōnā

stevesingo
stevesingo

What the sponsor decal on the car reads could be different to what fuel and lubricants are used.

I know for a fact that the most successful fuel in the current engine regulations is not made in Malaysia. Rather closer to the location of the most successful PU manufacturer as it happens.

It is simple economics for the likes of Petrobras. Spend $10m on 0.5M2 of car space and $25m on R&D, or spend $25m on 2.0m2 of car space and buy $5m of fuel from someone else.

Likewise a team may well say, give us $30m for 2.0m2 and we will sped the money where we want, including a free choice of fuel supplier.