General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

godlameroso wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 17:58
Honda will probably take a similarly aggressive approach as 2017. They need to claw back performance and ignoring penalties is easier to swallow when it's for a junior team that isn't expected to fight for the championship. With normal performance they'll start behind anyway, so better to have a faster engine and start behind, than slower engine and start behind anyway. With the former you can at least fight for position, with the latter you are a mobile chicane.

This is of course, worst case scenario, best case scenario, Honda makes a good step with the engine and takes an inevitable penalty like everyone else will. If the Toro Rosso is even half as good as the Red Bull chassis Honda could find themselves where they were last year. I'd say 6th in the championship is definitely doable.
I want to see the TR finish races first, and then Honda slap on the performance in the summer.
Honda!

Snorked

Snorked wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 09:13
https://abload.de/img/20180121-011ohrvd.jpg

Asaki says 2018 spec is almost complete, wants half a season before the full strength of PU is realised? :?

http://members.f1-life.net/regular/62701/

Hopefully one of our Japanese posters translates properly:

The full interview / article has been released from behind the paywall: https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /index.php
"To start off calmly and start, I hope that you will not be able to test the car test on the track test as well as last year, especially since the drivers are also newcomers, so they will run a lot (in pre-opening tests) I think that it will raise the overall strength as a team.

Of course naturally it will raise the power, but the thing has the order in the thing.It is sometimes experienced for the first time only by loading in a different chassis So I will carefully proceed so as not to cause trouble at first, from that point I can not say the technology in the future. "

Last year , the shaft which connects TC (turbocharger) turbine and MGU - H (*) took a load , I had a problem of that bearing breakage. This is reviewing from the last season, "Honda is quite a big company, if you look at it a bit, if you look closely there are many people, there are people who are making jet aircraft, not at the snapshot of HRD Sakura" How to use the power of All Honda "to boost competitiveness, I started it last year," suggesting that he is adopting various technologies ambitiously.

First of all, on the extension line of the type last year, we will start the season with power unit which does not do "big moss". Although surprising performance may not be expected, we will keep the regulations of three a year, and will improve the performance at the timing of the remaining two updates. If you believe in Asaki's words, the beasts will have the power that they had never had before.

jesa7271

HPD

jesa7271 wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 08:45
someone a subscription ?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/80 ... -nightmare

thanks !
It seems that the idea of leaving first was Honda.
They wanted to strike the table as a warning and they have achieved it.

Squid

HPD wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 12:43
jesa7271 wrote:
someone a subscription ?

thanks !
What? There's nothing like that in the article.

The first part of the article is stuff everyone already knows. Testing has been going well so far, indicating reliability but with no clue as to performance yet.

It then goes on about the relationship between Toro Rosso and Honda, indicating that communication appears to be much better than it was with McLaren. James Key talks about culture and how everyone is making a good effort to communicate properly, which the article suggests was a major area of focus for Toro Rosso. Interestingly, it also suggests that McLaren might have acted too dominantly, being a big team with a history of winning. Toro Rosso is more accommodating. James Key says they're working very closely, balancing compromises that need to be made to the chassis or to the engine in order to produce the best possible overall package. Compromises take precedence based on their effect to the final product. As proof, the article reveals that Honda was allowed to make the engine a few centimeters longer to improve performance and reliability. Toro Rosso happily accommodated.

It talks about the leadership changes and Tanabe-san's credentials. Then moves on to performance, with James Key claiming that the laptime setback from the change to Honda was much smaller than people suggest. Even last year, James Key says their analysis showed the engine wasn't as bad as people claimed. It also says that Toro Rosso didn't have to compromise their aero to make the switch.

HPD

Squid wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:05
HPD wrote:
jesa7271 wrote:
someone a subscription ?

thanks !
I can not read the entire article. Thank you for posting it.
Key says: "Going out first was not my idea because there are so many opportunities to mess that up"

It refers to the first day of testing, TR was the first car to go out on track

shingles

HPD wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:13
Squid wrote:
HPD wrote:

Key says: "Going out first was not my idea because there are so many opportunities to mess that up"

I think your initial post came across to some (at least I read it this way) as meaning Honda and McLaren break up was Honda's idea. But I think you meant that STR13 being on track first was Honda's idea.

Squid

shingles wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:26
HPD wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 13:13
Squid wrote:

I think your initial post came across to some (at least I read it this way) as meaning Honda and McLaren break up was Honda's idea. But I think you meant that STR13 being on track first was Honda's idea.
Yeah, it definitely came across like that. Confusion cleared up!

HPD

English is not my first language :lol:

It is also good that pilots accumulate km :!:

Wazari

HRD did increase the F1 PU staff by about 75 people at Sakura, I am not sure about MK. There is also much more horizontal integration of the F1 project throughout all of Honda.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Singabule

Wazari wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 01:07
HRD did increase the F1 PU staff by about 75 people at Sakura, I am not sure about MK. There is also much more horizontal integration of the F1 project throughout all of Honda.
Wazari san, it could be translated to let say honda jet engine division also give input to HRD turbocharger? And as my little knowledge, honda did not do the Electronic in house, and always using vendor instead. Could it be this horizontal integration in F1 engine program involving RBT from the design stage or manufacturing stage? All of US know that Last 3 years the CF work, Electronic and battery is produced by MAT, so honda has shifted this project entirely to RBT?

Wazari

Singabule wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 05:41

Wazari san, it could be translated to let say honda jet engine division also give input to HRD turbocharger? And as my little knowledge, honda did not do the Electronic in house, and always using vendor instead. Could it be this horizontal integration in F1 engine program involving RBT from the design stage or manufacturing stage? All of US know that Last 3 years the CF work, Electronic and battery is produced by MAT, so honda has shifted this project entirely to RBT?
Yes, HRD did receive input from the aircraft division with regards to several components of the turbine and shaft/bearing design. McLaren took lead of the ERS system with majority of the components provided by MAT and its associated vendor/partners. This part of the project is now in-house, not RBT. Is that what you're asking?

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

McMika98

Had a dream that the Honda was producing 944hp currently and weirdly they were working on thrust vectoring concept on a turbojet engine. Wazari is Honda working on fighter jet engines as well? The exhaust rules prevent any use off such techiniques sadly.

Singabule

Yes, HRD did receive input from the aircraft division with regards to several components of the turbine and shaft/bearing design. McLaren took lead of the ERS system with majority of the components provided by MAT and its associated vendor/partners. This part of the project is now in-house, not RBT. Is that what you're asking?
[/quote]
Thanks wazari san, i thought honda can not do all in house. So there is several parts that is produced by MAT other than CE?

Wazari

Singabule wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 13:45
Thanks wazari san, i thought honda can not do all in house. So there is several parts that is produced by MAT other than CE?
Everything is designed in house. Of course there are vendors that are contracted to supply some components. MAT is not supplying any HRD designed items.

-- Honda Soichiro