Carbon Fibre Coffee Mugs

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
autogyro

Re: Carbon Fibre Coffee Mugs

Just fit a ceramic liner and the art world in CF opens up.
Glass liners for booze decanters and glasses.
You could even fit internal battery or USB heaters for warm drinks and little USB fans in a skeleton holder in the base for cold drinks..

Manoah2u

if there ever wars a source for getting cancer asap, i'd say this is one of it.
seriously? i didn't expect this to even exist, yet be allowed by the health federation.
do you guys just want to invite cancer in your lives?

take it from somebody who's had it that it's the last thing you'd ever want to contract, why on earth go out and invite it? and how on earth is it bling? it makes no sense and it looks sorry to say quite stupid imho. you set back what, 250 bucks for just one, for all that money you can get a real proper set of cups/mugs and with a little luck, you can even buy a REAL decent and awesome coffee machine (like classic italian ones) that give you a taste and experience like never before.

as for the health risks, there is little yet known about direct and indirect effects of carbon fiber, BUT there is plenty about the undeniable risk of epoxy, which will be 100% part of these mugs.

primary risk associated with epoxy use is often related to the hardener component and not to the epoxy resin itself. Amine hardeners in particular are generally corrosive, but may also be classed as toxic or carcinogenic/mutagenic. Aromatic amines present a particular health hazard (most are known or suspected carcinogens).

just to remember those who seem to lack understanding what carcinogenic means = CANCER INFLICTING.

Liquid epoxy resins in their uncured state are mostly classed as irritant to the eyes and skin, as well as toxic to aquatic organisms. Just let that sink in, and then you pour 100 degrees water into a cup filled with epoxy resin which will take ALL THE HEAT since the carbon fiber wont. you want it to turn liquid and destroy you?

One particular risk associated with epoxy resins is sensitization. The risk has been shown to be more pronounced in epoxy resins containing low molecular weight epoxy diluents. Exposure to epoxy resins can, over time, induce an allergic reaction. Sensitization generally occurs due to repeated exposure (e.g. through poor working hygiene or lack of protective equipment) over a long period of time. Allergic reaction sometimes occurs at a time which is delayed several days from the exposure. Allergic reaction is often visible in the form of dermatitis, particularly in areas where the exposure has been highest (commonly hands and forearms). Epoxy use is a main source of occupational asthma among users of plastics.

OH COOL, you have a literal CUP OF CANCER #-o #-o #-o #-o
seriously, how on earth do people get it in their heads to buy this stuff.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Duque19 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 13:58
Hello...

I recently visit my friend's home and she use carbon fibre coffe mugs, mug looks nice..,
I also want some carbon fibre coffe mugs for guests.., So, please suggest me some shops for it..???
put a print of carbon fiber on a print-your-own-coffee-mug shop and live and keep healthy.
stay away from getting cancer. :roll:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Tim.Wright

Guess what knife handles are made of...

As far as I know, if you stay below the glass transition temperature, epoxies are stable.

Then there is also the fact that epoxy isn't the only matrix you can use with carbon fibre. Given that structural performance isn't important for a mug, using an expoxy matrix would be an unneccesary expense. You could use a thermoplastic resin and it would be as safe as a platic cup.
Not the engineer at Force India

Cold Fussion

Tim.Wright wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 09:07

As far as I know, if you stay below the glass transition temperature, epoxies are stable.

Then there is also the fact that epoxy isn't the only matrix you can use with carbon fibre. Given that structural performance isn't important for a mug, using an expoxy matrix would be an unneccesary expense. You could use a thermoplastic resin and it would be as safe as a platic cup.
I don't think your logic squares with his fear-mongering soapbox rhetoric.

Manoah2u

Cold Fussion wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 12:31
Tim.Wright wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 09:07

I don't think your logic squares with his fear-mongering soapbox rhetoric.
fear mongering soapbox rhethoric?

what a absolutely clueless response.

i'll repeat; i've actually had cancer. and i know plenty of others. you have no idea what you're dealing with, for real.
it's all fun and games untill it actually happens. and guess what, it's so avoidable in many, many cases but 'we' choose to ignore all the dangers, all the warnings.

is warning people that drink litres of redbull, energy drinks, cheap cola, and mcdonalds on a daily basis for the inevitable health damage outcome fearmongering?

chr*st what an ignorant reaction.

as for the top quote in this reply,

you don't suck on a knife handle while it or just after it has been bathing in a 90 degree celcius bath, right :roll:

and we're not talking about what 'one could use to make their own mugs', we're talking here about the mugst that exist, and they are made with epoxies that become soft and 'sweat' when exposed to boiling temperatures. that means that when you keep pouring coffee/tea cup after cup, the fluid itself will absorb amounts of those toxic (carciogenic) materials.

but hey, let's redicule facts, sure. go ahead, call safety boards, inspections and doctors fear-mongering about asbestos. you know what, go and do construction work and breathe in asbestos. or better, go make a mattress out of asbestos because 'it looks so cool'. it's your life, your freedom. but dont say you haven't been warned.

Sieper

smoking cigarettes surely will give you cancer before eating at mcdonalds and drinking cheap cola (or expensive cola for that matter). But agreed if you can do something to make the chance of getting cancer smaller (or not bigger) you should always do that. Luckily the only carbon fiber that is likely to ever hurt my health is my racing bike.

NathanOlder

Talking about Carbon Fibre objects, My wedding ring is made of 2 layers, the inner layer is Titanium and the outer layer is Carbon Fibre. Some people say it looks odd, but I love is. 2 F1 related materials :mrgreen:

and Manoah2u, before you warm me about the dangers, been there done that :wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 00:25
Talking about Carbon Fibre objects, My wedding ring is made of 2 layers, the inner layer is Titanium and the outer layer is Carbon Fibre. Some people say it looks odd, but I love is. 2 F1 related materials :mrgreen:

good to hear you've recovered!

question though; would you buy a 250 USD / EUR carbon fiber coffee mug and take the very present risk of poisoning yourself by using it to actually drink, or would you rather use that money to buy a very proper coffee mug set and a decent coffee machine?

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 09:37
NathanOlder wrote:

You too buddy 8)

2 points about the coffee mug,

1 - I agree, I wouldn't drink coffee from a carbon fibre mug, as you say, once you have the bad luck and are then lucky enough to recover you certainly try and look after yourself a little more and this , no matter how big or small is a risk to your health so yes, I wouldn't do it.

2 - Even if I bought the best safest coffee mug in the world, I wouldn't drink coffee from it. Can't stand the stuff :sick: :sick: :lol: :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:05
Manoah2u wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 09:37
NathanOlder wrote:

You too buddy 8)

2 points about the coffee mug,

1 - I agree, I wouldn't drink coffee from a carbon fibre mug, as you say, once you have the bad luck and are then lucky enough to recover you certainly try and look after yourself a little more and this , no matter how big or small is a risk to your health so yes, I wouldn't do it.

2 - Even if I bought the best safest coffee mug in the world, I wouldn't drink coffee from it. Can't stand the stuff :sick: :sick: :lol: :lol:
2- that's actually pretty funny :lol:

i love coffee. i used to hate it but at some point i forced myself to drink a few mugs when i had some extended workshifts and noticed it worked keeping my concentration up :mrgreen: not much later i drank it on a daily routine.
i have had some seriously digusting cups though, which i didn't even bother to finish so i must say, it also depends on who/what brewed it. btw i hate starbucks and i think their coffee is absolutely digusting. it's not even remotely tasty, i really fail to understand how that business exists and thrives even.

FightingHellPhish

perhaps a Battlemug ™ instead?