General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

hasika wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 06:48
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... 5-rcg-moto

In the first test week,Honda brought a PU which mainly focused on the reliability.This week,Honda bring a new PU which is planned for Melbourne if its ok.

As the other teams,Toro Rosso didnt do any qualifying simulation yesterday.They did some race simulation to see how the car works in different fuel load and how the power unit works when the drivers pushs in different level.We can see how the STR13 performances when they uesd the qualifying mode to do a time attack In the last 3 test days.
Sounds like we are about to see what it can do over the next 24 hours or so!

techman
techman

STR allowing Honda to increase the size by a few CM is quoted in the article as THE reason its more powerful and reliable. Something McLaren KNEW was necessary, but rejected.
spot on. honda were finally given the freedom to build an engine to a layout that suit to their liking and str listened to them. good coorperation

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

makecry wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 04:00
techman wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 03:49
Is the below statement right or wrong then? :
" For Toro Rosso, the compact engine from the Sakura development center proved a blessing. "That made integration into the chassis easier. If we had to change from Honda to Renault, it would have been more difficult, "reveals Chief Technology Officer James Key. In other words, the drive unit from Renault is bigger and heavier."
from https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ssig-test/
i think the compact nature of the honda engine unlike renault meant the integration was better. which is good hopefully the developements come thick and fast
Why do I sense hypocrisy in this post? Just some days back McLaren was being blamed for "forcing" Honda to make a compact PU but right now the compact PU is being praised. =D>
On the contrary, Honda spent so much time and resource to produce a compact PU, it makes absolute sense that they learned a couple of things about how to make compact PUs and auxiliary packaging

RZS10

Zynerji wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 05:31
RZS10 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 04:22
Zynerji wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 04:04

STR allowing Honda to increase the size by a few CM is quoted in the article as THE reason its more powerful and reliable. Something McLaren KNEW was necessary, but rejected.
What ... ?

The AMuS article does not mention any changes in size ... not a single word ... so you pretty much pulled that out of your arse ... lol
makecry wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 04:07
We don't know that. C'mon lol, stop fabricating BS. We don't know what happened behind the closed doors. Not going to point fingers at anyone. Honda coming good is good for the sport and sport right now needs a competitive team and if not McLaren Honda, RedBull Honda would do!
Squid wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 05:26
It's from this article. Quotes by James Key.

"If we've got a particular aero issue we want to address and there's a bit of engine in the way of that and there's more development [potential] from that on the chassis side, or if there's a particular engine thing they are keen to see through and it's a slight compromise for the chassis, we will see it through.

"It's on a case-by-case basis. It does require a lot of co-ordination, but it's not an issue because it's for good reason."

For evidence of this, it's understood that Honda was allowed to elongate the V6 engine by a couple of centimetres to improve performance and reliability, which Toro Rosso was happy to accommodate.
Thank you!
I stand corrected then ... sorry

but it might have been something they realised mid season which wouldn't have allowed any changes anyways but who knows ... they're looking good now

McHonda
McHonda

Where does it say McLaren rejected it?

McHonda
McHonda

What I mean is I'm having a hard time imagining the following..

Honda-We can sort it all out by making it a few CM longer.
McLaren-No,. but we'll swap to a bigger PU anyway and lose 75m a year on top of that instead, but thanks for the offer.

McHonda
McHonda

Nice to see some Illien confirmation. This should be interesting as he split with Renault when they rejected his combustion concept for their own so it will be interesting to see if Renault made a mistake or not.

McMika98
McMika98

Honda's reliability has been so good that the clowns in sky F1, especially a muppet by the name of Ted thinks that they have been changing the engine every night without telling anyone to show the reliability. LFMAO :lol: :lol:
He is insinuating its the view of competition when infact its the agenda driven guttersnipe media he is a part of. Benson may be the queen of biased broadcast corp but is giving a run for his money. Its the reason why i no longer follow Hamilton as he is God in their eyes.

foneFanatiq

i have been lurking on this site for a long time, but tonight i made an account just to share my absolute agreement for this post, to you, whoever you are, thank you and i couldn't agree more with you. =D>

McMika98 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 01:19
Honda's reliability has been so good that the clowns in sky F1, especially a muppet by the name of Ted thinks that they have been changing the engine every night without telling anyone to show the reliability. LFMAO :lol: :lol:
He is insinuating its the view of competition when infact its the agenda driven guttersnipe media he is a part of. Benson may be the queen of biased broadcast corp but is giving a run for his money. Its the reason why i no longer follow Hamilton as he is God in their eyes.

rgava
rgava

Wazari has confirmed in the Honda PU thread slightly more than 4 cm longer and 4 Kg heavier Spec4 over Spec 3.XX was an issue, specifically with PP.

toraabe
toraabe

McHonda wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 00:44
The 2017 car was design with the 2016 engine in mind

f1rules
f1rules

I have to say, reading from now many sources, it does seem McLaren did not do themselves any favour while working with Honda.I do get the sensation they put to strict demands on Honda while trying to reach their own chassis goals and in hindsight that was the wrong approach. Would have helped if Honda had been harder, fighting for what they needed but offrcourse difficult against a team like mclaren and the polite nature of the Japanese. I hope all the best for you guys. I think for now, this is a good match and that Torro Rosso seem to have the right mindset for to bring themself and honda forward.
And this is coming from a 30 year Mclaren fan

NathanOlder

agree'd maybe a new thread for "A season with the least mistakes" ?

Back to Honda, I do wonder , If Mclaren tried so hard to make Honda look bad, surely they would have known when Honda went to another team they would start doing a lot better and people would see what Mclaren were up to ? Right now, If Honda wasn't so professional in their approach, they could be using social media to make Mclaren look very very silly.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

McHonda
McHonda

toraabe wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 09:49
McHonda wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 00:44
The 2017 car was design with the 2016 engine in mind
The McLaren? Why would they design a car around an engine they knew was getting dumped for a new design?

restless
restless

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 10:18
agree'd maybe a new thread for "A season with the least mistakes" ?

Back to Honda, I do wonder , If Mclaren tried so hard to make Honda look bad, surely they would have known when Honda went to another team they would start doing a lot better and people would see what Mclaren were up to ? Right now, If Honda wasn't so professional in their approach, they could be using social media to make Mclaren look very very silly.
the decision to switch was made right after winter 2017 tests (there were plenty hints)
Mclaren lost faith that Honda will fix the engine. It was partly political decision - I can imagine key people like Alonso & Prodromu wanted out... can't blame them. The situation was very hard for the team and managers.