2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fede90
Fede90

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

MtthsMlw wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 19:59
AMuS:
GPS data show Mercedes clearly ahead
Vettel was 1.172 seconds faster than Kevin Magnussen in the HaasF1 customer Ferrari. Nevertheless, there was no cheering in the factory in Maranello. Rather the opposite. Team boss Maurizio Arrivabene and technical director Mattia Binotto stepped out of the Ferrari garage during the lunch break with a worried face.

While Vettel struggled his way through a wall of autograph and selfie hunters into the motorhome, Binotto set off for HaasF1 to find out how much fuel Magnussen was using in his US Ferrari? According to calculations by the competition, there was not much more residual gasoline in the Ferrari tank. If that's true, you'd have to worry in Maranello.

Vettel's best time was put into perspective by scoring it on the softest rubber compound Hypersoft. Magnussen had supersoft tires on his car. According to Pirelli calculations, the two-step difference in rubber is approximately one second. This means that the Ferrari, adjusted for tyres, would have been only a tenth faster than its American counterpart. Too little, if you want to win the world championship against Mercedes

Mercedes officially regards the balance of power as a neck-and-neck race between Red Bull, Ferrari and himself. One does not want to take away the illusion from the fans that it could come to an end of the silver dominance. That would be bad for business.

But the truth looks a little different. Renault's GPS analysis gives Mercedes a clear lead over Red Bull. So at least three tenths. Ferrari is only third and the red cars seem to lose evenly over all corners.

This is also proven by the first Longrun comparisons. Valtteri Bottas was on average almost one second faster than Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel in his Grand Prix distance. All other teams are at least 1.6 seconds behind. That would be last year's picture.

Responding to the observations of the competition, Mercedes also had to admit that they are one step ahead. More clearly than last year, but not as dramatic as 2015 and 2016, and at the moment Red Bull is more on the bill than Ferrari.
Are there any journalists that can write all these crap and think to maintain their job?
This article may have been written by a monkey :lol: :lol:

Chene_Mostert

Sebastian and Max are machines 188 & 187 Laps in one day, More than the Two Merc drivers combined... Massage sessions for both of them tonight :shock:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

godlameroso

GPR-A wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:44
Vandoorne's race sim! Last stint is comparable with Ferrari and RB on mediums.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXx7PfMXUAMkG_k.png:large
The mediums are a faster race tire.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Chene_Mostert wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:56
Sebastian and Max are machines 188 & 187 Laps in one day, More than the Two Merc drivers combined... Massage sessions for both of them tonight :shock:
1 lap is the equivalent of 1/2 a flights of stairs.
Last edited by godlameroso on 08 Mar 2018, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

Zynerji wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:02
2018 has all of the ingredients of an Instant Classic. I am more excited about this year than any other in the last 20!
This is a joke, right? Because everything so far points to another easy year for mercedes, just without Rosberg, which means hamilton will be easy sailing up front.

If that was indeed to happen, red bull and ferrari might as well pack up, close up shop and go home, it's getting comical now.

Another year of toto's smug face after a "hard" race of only 30s victory margin while in cruise control is all we need.

Chene_Mostert

Fede90 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:55
MtthsMlw wrote:
AMuS:
GPS data show Mercedes clearly ahead
Are there any journalists that can write all these crap and think to maintain their job?
Yes,this year it looks like the monkeys will be hanging out in the media centres, now that their seats have been removed.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Fede90
Fede90

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:29
Dear God, that article is a joke. Any article putting Haas on par with factory team must have been written under influence from Ferrari oil fumes, or more likely some 'shrooms.
I totally agree with you man

proteus

F1ern wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:39
Yea right Ferrari's head engineer running to Haas to ask why are you so fast? I am sure it happened.
Well in 2014 Manor helped Ferrari to achieve more hp from the engine by insulating exhaust pipes. Dont ask me what they discovered (what was the exact solution), but i know i red about it back then.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Fede90
Fede90

Chene_Mostert wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:59
Fede90 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:55
MtthsMlw wrote:
AMuS:
Yes,this year it looks like the monkeys will be hanging out in the media centres, now that their seats have been removed.
It will be an very interesting championship =D>

Fede90
Fede90

proteus wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:02
F1ern wrote:
Yea right Ferrari's head engineer running to Haas to ask why are you so fast? I am sure it happened.
Well in 2014 Manor helped Ferrari to achieve more hp from the engine by insulating exhaust pipes. Dont ask me what they discovered (what was the exact solution), but i know i red about it back then.
Have you any proof about that thing? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Fede90 on 08 Mar 2018, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

LeClerc

Obviously Binitto was sent over with a pre-contract for Magnussen to sign. They want to tie him up before he monsters his way to this years WDC and becomes too expensive :D
It is I, LeClerc!

Zynerji

Juzh wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:58
Zynerji wrote:
2018 has all of the ingredients of an Instant Classic. I am more excited about this year than any other in the last 20!
This is a joke, right? Because everything so far points to another easy year for mercedes, just without Rosberg, which means hamilton will be easy sailing up front.

If that was indeed to happen, red bull and ferrari might as well pack up, close up shop and go home, it's getting comical now.

Another year of toto's smug face after a "hard" race of only 30s victory margin while in cruise control is all we need.
We know nothing at this point, only what we have been shown, and "educated" speculation.
I trust no pecking order that is proposed until we have a qualifying in Barcelona for the start of the Euro season.

MtthsMlw

Please keep in mind that I only translated the most important things from the article.

Can someone explain what it means to analyze GPS data? Cornering speed? Acceleration? And how accurate are these analyses? Is it possible to determine how much fuel is in the tank and what the engine setting is?

epo
epo

Juzh wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 20:58
Zynerji wrote:

Yeah thanks for your reply, waste of time.

proteus

Fede90 wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:03
proteus wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 21:02
F1ern wrote:
Have you any proof about that thing? :mrgreen:
https://theparcferme.com/has-marussia-f ... r-ferrari/
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows