2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Mercedes's algorithms for their tire simulations are probably all based on one tire and then adjusted for different ones based on pre-race testing. They typically run on the same tire for all of preseason practice. It probably also helps with setting the car up, one less variable in the equation.
Honda!

f1316
f1316

Phil wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:22
f1316 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:18
I am aware of that. But I'm also aware that things happen the race too - getting stuck behind a slower car, back markers etc. - and, moreover, this is the teams' attempts to *simulate* a *race* (hence race sim). It's not perfect, but it's best efforts to try and see what it would be like to cover a race distance.
But no one is comparing these race simulations to last years race. We are comparing the stints of one driver/car to another. Overall, when you normalize them slightly, one can see what the rough performance is for that stint and draw conclusions from them.

As you said, driving to a delta or slow on purpose would falsify results. So the best conclusions we can draw, is that teams are doing a realistic race sim (best effort) and thus, we can compare them for that. But instead of comparing a SS vs M first stint, it makes more sense to compare the other stints and take into account how old the tires are at that point to make a rough guestimate. We know the older the tire, the less performance they will yield. But if a car is still faster on older tires, well, it either has superior tire wear and/or performance.
I'm going to give up after this one because I need to actually do some work :)

But my point is that the first stint being different changes the subsequent two stints. Let's see I guess.

dren

You can dream up whatever scenario you want to make you feel better about the placement of the team in timing at the end of the day. The data, over the years that I've been watching preseason testing, doesn't lie. Fast lap times are fast lap times. Good looking race sims are just that. You can absolutely get a very close idea of what the order will be from testing.
Honda!

Phil

f1316 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:23
If you're VET and you fit the Medium tyres at 10 laps, you know you need to to do another 52 laps on two stints; if you're BOT, you fit the Mediums at, say, lap 18 (I don't have the numbers), then your next two stints only need to cover 44 laps.
Good point, I agree with that. However, SS-M-M should be quicker than M-M-M. Afterall, the SS is a (much) quicker tire and gets up to temps quicker too, even if it lasts less long. So in theory, that stint on S should make up for the deficiency. So the truth is somewhere in the middle...
Last edited by Phil on 09 Mar 2018, 16:43, edited 2 times in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

CriXus
CriXus

Phil wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:27
f1316 wrote:
If you're VET and you fit the Medium tyres at 10 laps, you know you need to to do another 52 laps on two stints; if you're BOT, you fit the Mediums at, say, lap 18 (I don't have the numbers), then your next two stints only need to cover 44 laps.
Good point, I agree with that. However, SS-M-M should be quicker than M-M-M. Afterall, the SS is a (much) quicker tire and gets up to temps quicker too, even if it lasts less long. So in theory, that stint on S should make up for the deficiency. So the truth is somewhere in the middle...
Current SS is last year US, so think how well is suited for track like Barcelona. Basically, it is a qualy tire.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Vanja #66

Are Dan and Kimi doing race sims?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LeClerc

Merc turning sub 1:20s on hards.

WDC and WCC already theirs.

I hope the midfield will be tight and at least give us some racing to look at....
It is I, LeClerc!

zonk
zonk

Phlumbert
Phlumbert

After 24 laps on medium-rubber Räikkönen was ready to change tires: 1: 44.2 (Outlap) - 1: 23.1 - 1: 23.1 - 1: 23.2 - 1: 23.3 - 1: 23.3 - 1: 22.9 - 1: 22.7 - 1 : 22.5 - 1: 22.4 - 1: 22.4 - 1: 22.3 - 1: 22.7 - 1: 22.3 - 1: 21.9 - 1: 22.1 - 1: 22.4 - 1: 22.4 - 1: 22.4 - 1: 22.7 (traffic) - 1: 22.3 - 1: 24.0 (traffic) - 1: 22.4 - 1: 23.7 (inlap)

GPR-A duplicate2

CriXus wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:29
Phil wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:27
f1316 wrote:
Current SS is last year US, so think how well is suited for track like Barcelona. Basically, it is a qualy tire.
But the current circuit is resurfaced and is much smoother!

Juzh

New track record lap onboard. I tried to somehow combine video feeds from the 360 cam F1 posted on FB, but this is the best i could come up with. Still, better than nothing.

Easy flat already turn 2 all the way trough turn 3.
Hitting the apex in turn 5 now seems to easy. On old tarmac everyone and their mother was going wide in that corner.
Lift (!) in turn 9, so I was wrong about that one yesterday when from the offboard shot it sounded like he's going full throttle.
The car seems on rails in the last sector, but that's probably because of tires and tarmac.
Last edited by Juzh on 09 Mar 2018, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

f1316 wrote:
I'll just add something, that you missed:

Vettel did a stint of
SS - 13 laps
M - 27 laps
M - 25 laps

Bottad and Hamilton did a stint of
M - 29 laps
M - 17 laps
M - 19 laps

So yes, you are right, the first stint on a much quicker but less durable tire did compromise his 2nd and 3rd stint relative to the Mercedes, but you can still compare Bottas and Hamilton's lap from lap 14 to 29 - then you can compare the Mercedes on (at that point) 13 laps old tires vs Vettel on new & fresh M tires on the same fuel load. That should be comparable, as Bottas and Hamiltons first stint was aiming to do 29 laps on a much heavier car than Vettel on his 2nd stint but comparable laps. So in theory, Vettels stint and times should compare favorably assuming a similar fast car.

Yet comparing these laps, Vettel is at best equal or slower (especially than Hamilton who dips into high 21 times).

I believe dans already did that in his post.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dren

For the Ferrari fans, this should make you happy: https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/03/ ... k-out-for/
Honda!

Mattchu

After analyzing and looking carefully at the race pace/data of the Sauber i can conclude that this year they are far and away the fastest team and should easily walk both championships! /s

I may be wrong though :o

Mercedes must have brought 372 sets of mediums with them but only a couple of the others [excluding HS]...

p.s. Has anyone had the Hard on or Super hard on [whatever the`re called]? Must be a commentators nightmare in reality :oops:

iotar__

f1316 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:18
I do, however, completely grant that loads of other stuff is going on here - driving to deltas, lifting and coasting, using different tyres - so I'm taking every and all conclusions with a pinch of salt.
- Deltas? Why and when? We're not talking about aero runs. Short runs - no, long runs - what would be the point of running slower? Fuel, engines, updates, tyres - sure.
- Lifting and coasting - applies to everyone and for a reason namely race simulation with fuel limits. It's ironic that during tests they apparently go more full throttle than in races since those are decided early enough and can be divided into stages. Take that pushing 100% crowd.
- Speaking of fuel consumption, it's higher this season (Amus) and Mercedes is best and Ferrari worst at that (long runs). Ouch :oops: .