McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: McLaren MCL33

Bisonas wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 18:39
It's their first year on the hybrid era that have the turbo at the back, next to the gearbox. Its something new for them.
Obviously they miscalculated something on the cooling and they have overheating issues at that area. The whole overheating thing probably affected the turbos life span so it failed.
IMO all these are 100% consequences of the engine architecture change.
Hopefully they will learn from it they will make modifications and they will sort it out until AUS.
Maybe they will fix it internally or maybe they will split and slightly increase the roll hoop inlet.
The burn marks are too far back to be right above the turbo I presume. And the Mercedes and Honda have the hot bits of the turbo in the back as well, just a 10-20 cm further back. Merc and Honda only have the compressor at the front.

Looks more of something around the waste gate valve.

GoranF1
GoranF1

On Sky they were talking about rumor that MCL33 might have to extreme rake for PU.
Opinions?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Bisonas

Jolle wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 20:30
Bisonas wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 18:39
It's their first year on the hybrid era that have the turbo at the back, next to the gearbox. Its something new for them.
Obviously they miscalculated something on the cooling and they have overheating issues at that area. The whole overheating thing probably affected the turbos life span so it failed.
IMO all these are 100% consequences of the engine architecture change.
Hopefully they will learn from it they will make modifications and they will sort it out until AUS.
Maybe they will fix it internally or maybe they will split and slightly increase the roll hoop inlet.
The burn marks are too far back to be right above the turbo I presume. And the Mercedes and Honda have the hot bits of the turbo in the back as well, just a 10-20 cm further back. Merc and Honda only have the compressor at the front.

Looks more of something around the waste gate valve.
All i am saying is that having to revise a gearbox case to house a complete turbo for the fist time while in the same time slightly repositioning the engine has a domino effect on many things regarding the packaging. Obviously they miss calculate something on the cooling side. Hopefully it will be fixed in time without many compromises.
Last edited by Bisonas on 09 Mar 2018, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Bisonas

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 21:24
On Sky they were talking about rumor that MCL33 might have to extreme rake for PU.
Opinions?
Yea i heard Mclaren's extreme rake effect liquids and things in the engine differently than others.
I don't think its true though. Hard to believe.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Very hard, the rake itself would be negligable compared to the g-forces encountered under normal operation anyway.

rccrdc
rccrdc

https://twitter.com/piusgasso/status/972197429171941377
It seems like they are keeping an eye on it!

Jolle
Jolle

Bisonas wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 21:43
GoranF1 wrote:
Opinions?
Yea i heard Mclaren's extreme rake effect liquids and things in the engine differently than others.
I don't think its true though. Hard to believe.
If that would be the case, the circuits with a bit of hight difference must be hell for the Renault power cars this year...

carisi2k

Bull crap. Have you seen the rake on the rb14.

Andres125sx

BrunoH wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 16:00
couple of races!? this is not another test year.. this is the year they need to make it
What exactly?

keep real please, they´re testing for first time a new and different PU

F1Krof

GoranF1 wrote:
Opinions?
I don't think so. They could easily offset the angle of the Engine sitting mounts. Let suppose it is true, they don't need to level the whole engine to 0 Degrees, just a little offset to meet the minimum is easily done, say 0.2 Degrees or something marginal which would mitigate the supposed effect.

However, I don't want to put salt on the wound, but McLaren aren't really good at reliability these days. Add that an immature Honda engine, you get a shitty stint (15'-17') like this. Just saying you know.
Wroom wroom

zioture
zioture

Test 2 Barcellona DAY 4

Full gallery here http://www.newsf1.it/foto-formula-1-tes ... essione-2/

DiogoBrand

GoranF1 wrote:
Opinions?
Of all the things that could compromise PU performance, I would guess rake is at the bottom of the list. First because it's negligible in comparison to all accelerations the car will suffer, and second because Red Bull has been running high rake for years with the same PU with no problems (No problems related to rake, at least).

GoranF1
GoranF1

Guenther Steiner from Haas says Mclaren rear suspension is the biggest eye catcher in terms of technical inovations on all cars, and it would be impossible to copy before 2019.
He says he talked to many tech people in the padock and they all agree on that.

Jolle
Jolle

GoranF1 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:36
Guenther Steiner from Haas says Mclaren rear suspension is the biggest eye catcher in terms of technical inovations on all cars, and it would be impossible to copy before 2019.
Reading that in Trump's voice makes it funny....

But yes, it's a nice development but yet unproven. I also read somewhere that corner exit might be a weakness of McLaren what could be the result of not having full control of the rear with that pull-rod set up in the middle of the wishbone.

time will tell.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Jolle wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:40
GoranF1 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:36
Reading that in Trump's voice makes it funny....

But yes, it's a nice development but yet unproven. I also read somewhere that corner exit might be a weakness of McLaren what could be the result of not having full control of the rear with that pull-rod set up in the middle of the wishbone.

time will tell.
Yes, i read Edd Straw and Karun Chadock reporting from track that car look good in most corners but sometimes rear gives up on corner exit.
Hope they can fix this?