2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Looking at where everyone is putting the 3 top teams I keep coming back to the late removal of the trick suspension as the game changer in 2017. Will Ferrari get a better chance in this Hybrid era?

Mandrake
Mandrake

bonjon1979 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:11
Refuelling isn’t allowed in pitlane, outlaps are consistent with normal outlap times
Ok, thanks. I was wondering because in an earlier post someone was referencing to a picture of the Ferrari inside the walls getting tires changed to show the absence of blistering. Now if the cars enter these "boxes" surely it will be taking longer.

Xero

Mandrake wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:08
Aren't the cars refueled during the tire change? In recent years during testing no team did a race like pitstop and just changed tires. Hence they could (hypothetically) be going with the same fuel load for every stint.
Not sure why you thought that? When teams do full race sims they use fuel to cover the entire race distance, and make proper pitstops. They've been doing this for as long as I can remember. They would have done refueling too back before it was banned.

zibby43
zibby43

Dextercitox wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX31DmAX0AMM_FU.jpg:large

A lot of blistering in the Merc this week.
One reason for that is because Merc was doing daily rolling burnouts through the pit lane with Hamilton and Bottas on the regular.

They're exploring the thermal limits of the softer compounds.

On top of that, both Merc and RB experienced some blistering on the softer compounds. Blistering isn't all that unusual/uncommon when you have a fairly sizeable gap between ambient temperature and track temperature.

Finally, the blistering suggests that both the Red Bull and Merc have no trouble energizing the tires. Last year, with the W08's compromised chassis/suspension setup, Merc struggled mightily to consistently "switch on" the tires and keep them in the operating window.

The fact that Merc didn't even bother bringing any Hypersofts to testing oozes a bit of quiet confidence.

Joseki
Joseki

Carlo_Carrera

zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 01:47
Dextercitox wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 00:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX31DmAX0AMM_FU.jpg:large

A lot of blistering in the Merc this week.
One reason for that is because Merc was doing daily rolling burnouts through the pit lane with Hamilton and Bottas on the regular.

They're exploring the thermal limits of the softer compounds.

On top of that, both Merc and RB experienced some blistering on the softer compounds. Blistering isn't all that unusual/uncommon when you have a fairly sizeable gap between ambient temperature and track temperature.

Finally, the blistering suggests that both the Red Bull and Merc have no trouble energizing the tires. Last year, with the W08's compromised chassis/suspension setup, Merc struggled mightily to consistently "switch on" the tires and keep them in the operating window.

The fact that Merc didn't even bother bringing any Hypersofts to testing oozes a bit of quiet confidence.
According to Bottas Mercedes is having real issues with the softer compounds.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13476 ... yre-doubts

Chuckjr

I think I stumbled across a great site for some F1 videos.

This video has great sound coverage of the cars through the track and opens with a standing start from Fred.

http://youtu.be/oOMezfUIYgA

This video is more pit stop oriented, has some nice -on the tarmac- close ups of pit stops, a behind closed doors shot, the Merc and Renault trucks and a closing word from Fred.

http://youtu.be/8gTIYcI82ME
Watching F1 since 1986.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Based on Ricciardo’s, Bottas’, Horner’s and Raikkonen’s interviews after yesterday’s test, I think the media has just clung on to off the cuff remarks from Lauda earlier in the week and deduced that Ferrari is 3rd. From all of those interviews, the concern seems overblown with Ricciardo and Horner expecting Ferrari to be in the hunt.

Additionally, no one has been able to explain to me why Ferrari has been put 3rd when their race sim was consistently faster than the redbull??

I’m not saying Ferrari is fastest - I think it’s clear Mercedes is well ahead - I’m just confused as to how/why everyone has put redbull ahead when no data seems to support this?

AnthonyG

Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

A penny for Paddy Lowe's thoughts here

Gaz.
Gaz.

johnny comelately wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 07:30
http://e0.365dm.com/17/09/16-9/20/skysp ... 0929082305
"Why did I ask Fernando for career advice...."
Forza Jules

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Seriously though, williams looks terrible. I wonder whether it is the drivers or the car...

Vettelswonmeover
Vettelswonmeover

Just my opinion on testing. The definitive conclusion by all media outlets is that Mercedes is ahead. Their advantage may not be as great as in 2015 but its definitely more than last year. Red Bull and Ferrari are close but RB seem to have pushed ahead of the Scuderia. Even though Vettel's race sim was faster than Verstappen's, Ferrari may be running the PU at a higher power level than RB because Renault have turned down their PU for reliability reasons. Max also spun during his last stint. So his overall race time was slower. Ferrari do not have a bad car. Its just that they are running a high rake and are not yet understanding how to get the best out of it. I'm sure or atleast I hope that they are able to do so. But for Australia, it will be Merc, RB & Ferrari.

Are there any people in this forum who can tell what Italian media sources are reporting regarding Ferrari? I really want Ferrari to win atleast one championship this year. Its a dream to see the German & then Italian anthems playing on the podium, just like the times of Schumacher. If not, atleast RB should fight Merc. Anyone but Merc. Getting tired of their dominance.

Mr Brooksy

foxmulder_ms wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 07:57
Seriously though, williams looks terrible. I wonder whether it is the drivers or the car...
I can't believe Williams are doing another 2013! Grr

From what I've read the car is all over the place on turn in. Everywhere else is pretty good, but with such an inconstant turn in the drivers are not comfortable with the car.

It's also been said that the car isn't working the softer tires well either... And is acting a bit of a 'diva'.

Stroll in particular isn't comfortable as well from what I've read.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Gaz. wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 07:42
johnny comelately wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 07:30
http://e0.365dm.com/17/09/16-9/20/skysp ... 0929082305
"Why did I ask Fernando for career advice...."
:lol: