2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 17:44
With frozen V8s reliability was much better ;)

And disagree with your "any driver " statement. Even when cars are 80% of the perfomance (at least), they´re far from robots who perform the same, and there´s a huge difference between Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton, and Bottas, Kimi or Stoffel. I´ll dare to say even between some of the first group, I can´t see Vetel or Alonso making as many mistakes as Lewis :P
Personally, I feel Stoffel will be a handful for Fernando this year, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's quicker.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

adrianjordan

Andres125sx wrote:

And disagree with your "any driver " statement. Even when cars are 80% of the perfomance (at least), they´re far from robots who perform the same, and there´s a huge difference between Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton, and Bottas, Kimi or Stoffel. I´ll dare to say even between some of the first group, I can´t see Vetel or Alonso making as many mistakes as Lewis :P
I don't see Lewis or Fernando deliberately driving into another car!!

(Fernando just gets his teammate to do the crashing for him lol) 😜
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

makecry

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 18:42
Andres125sx wrote:

Personally, I feel Stoffel will be a handful for Fernando this year, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's quicker.

People said that the last year too. We all know how that turned out.

GoranF1

Alonso was 0.5 slower then Kimi whit 13km/h less speed on the straight.
Something sketchy going on there, either MCL33 is draggy as hell or there is alot more speed in that car.
No wonder Boulier said everybody at Woking were happy whit that lap.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 20:28
Ground Effect wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

True, but he got closer on race pace towards the end of the year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

makecry

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 21:24
makecry wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 20:28
Ground Effect wrote:

True, but he got closer on race pace towards the end of the year.
It was no where as close as you think. Alonso was so much faster in Brazil, Mexico, Austin, Abu Dhabi

McMika98

GoranF1 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 21:23
Alonso was 0.5 slower then Kimi whit 13km/h less speed on the straight.
Something sketchy going on there, either MCL33 is draggy as hell or there is alot more speed in that car.
No wonder Boulier said everybody at Woking were happy whit that lap.
Sorry to disappoint but the latter is true. Last year Albert fabrega did a segment with Movistar highlighting this effect, when the drs wing opens Mclaren does not gain same percentage of speed as the rest. The top speed flat lines rather early. The aero is non-optimal for very high speeds it appears but works very well on rest of the speeds. Its a strategy th ey have been chasing since PP's arrival.

godlameroso

Nothing on that car screams high drag though, unless there's a parachute hidden inside the chassis. I agree with Goran, something fishy is going on. Either that or they just made a lateral move with the power unit and threw away 100 mill/yr.

But that doesn't make sense if they were 13kph down that means they're on average 6kph down on every full throttle section, if that were true the gap would be 1.7 not .5 seconds.
Saishū kōnā

Alonso Fan

Weren't all Renault powered cars down in speed traps though? I recall Renault and RedBull having similar speed trap figures to mclaren
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 10:18
marvin78 wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 14:56
I did not.
So you think it´s not possible for a driver to fight for the tittle till last race with a car wich is withing half a second?
Depends on the driver and how many drivers are in still in contention. With fewer drivers, the less spread out the points are and the easier it is to fall out of contention.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

If he repeats last year... he'll be gone soon enough.

RonDennis

The Renault was already turned down during testing and with McLaren's I wouldn't be surprised if they had to turn it down a bit as well. Renault will have more power available in Melbourne and they will also bring a new spec. I don't think Vandoorne has a chance against Alonso. Those stories about good pace in the last couple races, I simply didn't see it. It's certainly for Vandoorne to pick up the pace, because McLaren wants to put Norris in the car as soon as possible, not only because of his talent but also because he's from the UK.
Last edited by RonDennis on 13 Mar 2018, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

makecry

diffuser wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 00:04
Ground Effect wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

If he repeats last year... he'll be gone soon enough.
I agree, I think Zak did give an hint of that and Lando is right on his tail for that seat if Fernando stays on, I do think Fernando might go to Renault if they are good. It's amazing how someone who has had such an impressive career perform that way but then he is up against arguable the most complete driver in the sport so yeah who if the car is competitive will be a shark smelling blood .

max_speed

Ground Effect wrote:
Drivers come and go against fernando.i bet if alonso gets a car that can fight at front and has even 10% chance of winning.he will be miles ahead of him. i just pray, he gets another chance to fight at front, for wins.sotffel is good but no where compare to him.