Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
taperoo2k

Re: Honda Power Unit

Zynerji wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 23:26
To break the STR/Honda contract would require Honda approval, unless it is already part of the STR contract. I imagine that if RBR tried to take the status (like they swapped engines for 2008) that Honda would have a say if they wanted to re-sign with RBR after the break. It will need to be handled very delicately, or we might just have Force Honda in 2019!
It depends what's in the contract and to what extent the larger Red Bull group's involvement with Honda is via STR. Anyway I'm glad to see Honda seem to be finally getting on top of their various problems. It'll be an interesting season seeing how Honda fares with STR.

munudeges

It's very clear that if the Honda unit proves good enough, and from Red Bull's point-of-view it has to be since Renault won't be around after this year, then RBR will end up using Honda engines and will be the preferred team. Red Bull is already giving Honda a huge amount of help with Ilmor's involvement. There is no way STR will remain the primary works team.

This is not the Honda unit being produced by the same people over the past three years. It's night and day.

carisi2k

There will be no breaking of the contract between Toro Rosso and Honda. What will happen is that the Red Bull group will have factory Honda support with both Red Bull and Toro Rosso getting factory support and both the STR14 and RB15 will be optimised for the Honda engine.

techman

i think honda have learnt a lot about fitting their engine in tight packaging. due to previous experience. so this definetly helped them integrate properly with str. its not the same with renault . because renault never had to fit their engine in to such tight space.

HPD

We are leaving the main theme.

But when reading the Japanese forums, they say that Christian Horner is not as interested in using the Honda PU. Unlike Helmut Marko, who wants Honda in 2019. It could be true..

techman

But when reading the Japanese forums, they say that Christian Horner is not as interested in using the Honda PU. Unlike Helmut Marko, who wants Honda in 2019. It could be true..
interesting. what matters is marko opinion

kptaylor

Well, if RBR drops Renault for next year don't they wind up with Honda PUs regardless based on the supplier regs? The bigger question then goes back to who will be the works team. Horner or Marko don't matter with the PU supply, it'll be Honda, it matters more who will be negotiating the deal and works status. Will that be Marko?

ArcticWolfie

We are going off-topic here, but I don't think Honda wants to run their own team anymore. And I think RBR/RBT and Honda are working like crazy to get some works deal next year.
But let's wait and see, we might see an early engine swap announcement this year (Because Renault is applying pressure as well).

Big Tea

Would Aston martin be impressed with the Honda tie up and would Honda be keen on the AM name on the teams cars?

I can see Horner/ Marco going to F1 about this and saying its impossible give us a merc or Ferrari engine for the boss team RBR depends on AM sponsorship and if Honda dont like it either, think they may get it considered?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JonoNic

Would there be any advantage in making both TR and RBR works teams in the same season?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

bigblue

Kinda interesting, but think this kind of conversation could carry on in the General F1 Honda Topic ?

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 19:09
Would Aston martin be impressed with the Honda tie up and would Honda be keen on the AM name on the teams cars?

I can see Horner/ Marco going to F1 about this and saying its impossible give us a merc or Ferrari engine for the boss team RBR depends on AM sponsorship and if Honda dont like it either, think they may get it considered?
Not if the engines in the RBR continue to be "TAG Heuer".

blueytoo

Christian Horner said the Mercedes and Ferrari consume 500mL oil more than Renault/Tag Heuer per 100L fuel. Wondering if the new Honda PU has managed to maximise oil consumption and how much is there to be gained and how??

Extra low tension rings; compression-activated sealing?
Stabilised combustion with extra high compression ratio?
2 stroke engine cycle?

3jawchuck

blueytoo wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:16
Christian Horner said the Mercedes and Ferrari consume 500mL oil more than Renault/Tag Heuer per 100L fuel. Wondering if the new Honda PU has managed to maximise oil consumption and how much is there to be gained and how??

Extra low tension rings; compression-activated sealing?
Stabilised combustion with extra high compression ratio?
2 stroke engine cycle?
2-stroke would be illegal for a start.
5.1.1 Only 4-stroke engines with reciprocating pistons are permitted.

blueytoo

3jawchuck wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:18
2-stroke would be illegal for a start.
5.1.1 Only 4-stroke engines with reciprocating pistons are permitted.
Ok. But this is F1. What about a creative 4 stroke that got a small charge into part of the intake stroke????