2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

amho wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 21:15
Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 20:14
http://soymotor.com/sites/default/files ... 1-2018.jpg

Speed trap of the 4 days of Test 2
STR hit 334 kph in the first week of testing, it seems that first spec was more powerful although we don't know about aero setup and wind condition.
Yes confirmed by none other than Wazari. Honda appears to have cycled the agressive engines on week1 to get some preliminary data which also explains the three engines used. The output was much better without even turning the wick. Hopefully it will be ready for the second engine.

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 22:43
amho wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 21:15
Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 20:14
http://soymotor.com/sites/default/files ... 1-2018.jpg

Speed trap of the 4 days of Test 2
STR hit 334 kph in the first week of testing, it seems that first spec was more powerful although we don't know about aero setup and wind condition.
Yes confirmed by none other than Wazari. Honda appears to have cycled the agressive engines on week1 to get some preliminary data which also explains the three engines used. The output was much better without even turning the wick. Hopefully it will be ready for the second engine.
And that 2nd engine will show in Spain GP? Or it's too early to switch to 2nd engine?

loner

well if we follow the 7 races parameter it should be the France GP.
about testing the more aggressive PU in test week 1 the speed trap supporting this theory i guess hmmm
para bellum.

techman

personally i love the idea of tr using fresher engine. take the penalty but you have more power and possibly new upgrades and could overtake in the track to make up position. good idea by tr. nothing to loose here.

techman

In 2017 quali 326 was the fastest speed, so 324 is not bad. Hoping TR take the tactical extra engine and honda deliver the new combustion by summer. Podium in Monza! Lol
love the idea. but a big push is required by tr and honda.

Zynerji

If they are planning on going over the 3 engine limit, i would suggest that they start with the "less reliable" newer spec engine, knowing it would only need to do 4 GP's instead of 7, then take the next spec thats reliable enough to go 7 races, new spec, 7 more races, and then the penalty engine with 3 to go.

That would put them ahead on number of upgrades, and they can close the season like a hammer.

Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 09:34
Alonso:

STR is going to fight for last 4 places.
I think Fernando can only speak for Mclaren, not STR. 😂 He can't know where they'll be in Melbourne
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

marvin78

So? Ferrari did this changes also. They did it, to sort out possible problems with various specs. It's a testing procedure. I don't get the point.

GoranF1

marvin78 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:33
So? Ferrari did this changes also. They did it, to sort out possible problems with various specs. It's a testing procedure. I don't get the point.
Why would you want to change PU every other day in a season where PU needs to last 7 gp's wouldn't it be better to test its durability in stead?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

marvin78

They can interpolate it. They took the engines apart to look at the parts. It IS testing. I would not assume that Honda has lost all the reliability problems but those changes are not unusual and not an indicator for any problems. I also think that others do so. It's a normal and not unusual procedure.

You are just to obsessed with Honda. Move on.

GoranF1

marvin78 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:38
They can interpolate it. They took the engines apart to look at the parts. It IS testing. I would not assume that Honda has lost all the reliability problems but those changes are not unusual and not an indicator for any problems. I also think that others do so. It's a normal and not unusual procedure.

You are just to obsessed with Honda. Move on.
I am not, i am just glad Mclaren is not working whit this once great company.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

marvin78

Your posts do not indicate that. Read them.

techman

according to amus honda tested 3 types of engines to sort out which they want to take to aus. it was the one they used entirely for the 2nd test. torro rosso are optimistic, its a good thing, hopefully development come through fast.

henry

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:35
marvin78 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 10:33
Why would you want to change PU every other day in a season where PU needs to last 7 gp's wouldn't it be better to test its durability in stead?
As others have pointed out, they didn’t change the PU every other day. They used 1 per useful day in the first week and one for the second week.

They did test durability, just not in the manner that you would have done it, which I assume would have been 1 engine for 2 weeks, you don’t actually say.

Their approach increased the range of things they could study as well as reliability. After all they’ve had the key reliability issues sorted since 3 or 4 races before the end of last season. It’s not as if every failure last season was unique, opening up more and more areas of investigation.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Ground Effect

I don't think anyone can in good faith criticize Honda's approach towards this test. Even during the Mclaren days they usually had different specs for the winter tests, week one and two. I know they did this in 2016 and 2017, with much less success. This time they used 3 engines, which I'm fairly confident were 3 different specs. They did this deliberately and with excellent results reliability wise, so progress all round.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.