2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Looks like this thread has jumped the shark. Go talk over in the race thread. :D
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

foxmulder_ms

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 09:59
Adrian Newey: "Mercedes is superior in all disciplines. Engine power, fuel consumption, drivability, MGU-H recuperation. You can not make up for that with a better car."

He calls it "formula engine".

From AMuS.
It is motor racing.

foxmulder_ms

TAG wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 17:47
Looks like this thread has jumped the shark. Go talk over in the race thread. :D
Dont feed the obsessive compulsive. :twisted:

Brenton

Asking the FIA for clarification doesn't mean they weren't able to do do it themselves. it just means that banning it was more advantageous to them than making their own version. If your opponent is thrown a loop, that hurts them, which helps you win obviously.

Any uses of words like whining or crying is just immature and illogical, if not trolling... The sort of thing I'd expect on a Reddit or YouTube comment section rather than here. Making a comment to the media doesn't mean that newey isn't spending 99.9% of his energy on the job.

Please don't tell me that you honestly think that Williams staff are all sitting around complaining to the FIA all day instead of working on their car? Don't embarrass yourself.

Talking to the press and the FIA is all part of the game. It's part of the competitive element of F1, just like wind tunnel testing. Teams do it to help them strategically. Not because they're crybabies.

djones

Adrian is a funny guy!!

Did not see any complaints when his car was winning everything.... strange that :roll:

TAG

djones wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 15:43
Adrian is a funny guy!!

Did not see any complaints when his car was winning everything.... strange that :roll:
No complaints from Horner indeed when they had the one engine capable of exploiting the blown floors most efficiently, back then the line was "other teams should work harder" if I remember correctly.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

aral

This thread has gone a waaayyyy off topic. It is about the testing in Barcelona. Talks about Newey, etc do not belong here. A number of off topic posts have been removed and probably more should be as well. Please restrict your comments to the two weeks of testing and specific observations.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Vasconia

GoranF1 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 19:58
Last day of testing

https://twitter.com/alo_pumpa/status/97 ... 76166?s=19
Looks that Mercedes has more speed in the bag. #-o

Wynters

Vasconia wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:11
Looks that Mercedes has more speed in the bag. #-o
With the difference between Hamilton and Bottas, that chart-topping speed could just have been a really good tow. Can anyone confirm? For instance, the Williams correlation seems far more convincing as an accurate read on their car's top speed in that particular aero config.

TAG

In the better late than never department:

There were a few times that we heard over the testing days that Mercedes were doing "rolling burnouts" driving through pit lane and I wanted to discuss this since it was never delved deeper into. Now I have a very good idea at what a rolling burnout is, why a team would do that (only Mercedes) is open for debate, but we saw lots and lots of pictures with the Merc's tires absolutely blistered to the brink.

So my thought of what a rolling burnout is; Mercedes in the middle of a stint would pit and then launch through the lane, doing the same kinds of burnout we all grew up as kids doings. Is my interpretation of this off base? In the years I've been following the sport I've never heard is reported of a team doing something like this.

I ask, because the tire choices per driver for Melbourne are released now and the tea leaves are ripe for the reading.
Last edited by TAG on 13 Mar 2018, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Just_a_fan

I wonder if the burn outs were a way of trying to simulate very worn tyres by, well, wearing them out quickly. Perhaps trying to see what the drop off in performance was and whether they can make a very tired tyre last. Can't see why else you would do it, to be honest.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

GoranF1 wrote:
Last day of testing

Hamilton's very low top speed indicative of a driver backing off on the main straight aka sandbagging?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mr.G

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 16:47
GoranF1 wrote:
Last day of testing

Hamilton's very low top speed indicative of a driver backing off on the main straight aka sandbagging?
Or driving to a delta...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

zac510

Interesting conversation topic.
Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 16:46
I wonder if the burn outs were a way of trying to simulate very worn tyres by, well, wearing them out quickly. Perhaps trying to see what the drop off in performance was and whether they can make a very tired tyre last. Can't see why else you would do it, to be honest.
Especially when fronts would not be worn equally. You'd just end up with an imbalanced set of tyres, maybe not representative of a real set of tyres that have done a stint.