2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

munudeges wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 19:29
Those laps of Ferrari worry me, because they smack of glory runs.
Agreed, Ferrari is in desperate need of glory/attention, who would want to advertise in such a low tier brand like Ferrari, they hardly get any exposition on media and races and they hardly have any fans. /s

ripper

This is what Turrini (an italian journalist, Ferrari supporter that sometimes has some leaks from Maranello) wrote on his blog:
Allora, ecco cosa hanno capito a Maranello, a livello di Scuderia, dopo i test di Barcellona.

Si aspettavano qualcosa di più e di meglio dalla SF71H.

Se lo aspettava Mattia Binotto, il direttore tecnico. Se lo aspettava Maurizio Arrivabene, il capo della banda. Se lo aspettava Seb Vettel. Se lo aspettava Kimi Raikkonen.

Sul passo gara, la macchina per ora non è al livello della Mercedes.

Se la gioca invece con Red Bull.

Dopo di che, arriviamo al governo della non sfiducia.

Primo, erano test. Test in condizioni particolari per un po’ causa meteo.

Secondo, switchando dal passo corto al passo lungo la Ferrari ha scommesso tantissimo sugli sviluppi in corso d’opera. Si veda, in merito, l’evoluzione Mercedes di dodici mesi fa.

Terzo, sarebbe assurdo considerare chiusa la partita. Di sicuro le sensazioni non sono state quelle del 2017 e anche questo va detto e infatti è stato detto da osservatori che non hanno pregiudizi.

Quarto, la faccenda delle gomme non è chiarissima, forse per nessuno.

Quinto, Melbourne sarà il capitolo inaugurale, su un tracciato particolare.

Ecco, quanto raccontato sopra è il feeling a Maranello.
Quick translation:

This is what Scuderia Ferrari understood after test sessions.

They were expecting more and better from SF71H.

Binotto, Arrivabene, Vettel and Raikkonen were all expecting more.

On race pace the car isn't at Mercedes level.

They will be fighting with Red Bull.

There are some more considerations.

First, they were "just" test sessions. Sessions done with strange weather.

Second, switching from short to long wheelbase Ferrari bet a lot on in season development. See what Mercedes did last year.

Third, it would be absurd to consider the championship already closed. Anyway the feeling isn't as good as 2017, it was also said by external observers.

Fourth, tyre behavior isn't totally clear for them, but probabily it isn't for everyone.

Fifth, Melbourne is a different and characteristic track.

MtthsMlw

Vasconia

ripper wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:46
This is what Turrini (an italian journalist, Ferrari supporter that sometimes has some leaks from Maranello) wrote on his blog:
Allora, ecco cosa hanno capito a Maranello, a livello di Scuderia, dopo i test di Barcellona.

Si aspettavano qualcosa di più e di meglio dalla SF71H.

Se lo aspettava Mattia Binotto, il direttore tecnico. Se lo aspettava Maurizio Arrivabene, il capo della banda. Se lo aspettava Seb Vettel. Se lo aspettava Kimi Raikkonen.

Sul passo gara, la macchina per ora non è al livello della Mercedes.

Se la gioca invece con Red Bull.

Dopo di che, arriviamo al governo della non sfiducia.

Primo, erano test. Test in condizioni particolari per un po’ causa meteo.

Secondo, switchando dal passo corto al passo lungo la Ferrari ha scommesso tantissimo sugli sviluppi in corso d’opera. Si veda, in merito, l’evoluzione Mercedes di dodici mesi fa.

Terzo, sarebbe assurdo considerare chiusa la partita. Di sicuro le sensazioni non sono state quelle del 2017 e anche questo va detto e infatti è stato detto da osservatori che non hanno pregiudizi.

Quarto, la faccenda delle gomme non è chiarissima, forse per nessuno.

Quinto, Melbourne sarà il capitolo inaugurale, su un tracciato particolare.

Ecco, quanto raccontato sopra è il feeling a Maranello.
Quick translation:

This is what Scuderia Ferrari understood after test sessions.

They were expecting more and better from SF71H.

Binotto, Arrivabene, Vettel and Raikkonen were all expecting more.

On race pace the car isn't at Mercedes level.

They will be fighting with Red Bull.

There are some more considerations.

First, they were "just" test sessions. Sessions done with strange weather.

Second, switching from short to long wheelbase Ferrari bet a lot on in season development. See what Mercedes did last year.

Third, it would be absurd to consider the championship already closed. Anyway the feeling isn't as good as 2017, it was also said by external observers.

Fourth, tyre behavior isn't totally clear for them, but probabily it isn't for everyone.

Fifth, Melbourne is a different and characteristic track.
Perhaps aero data was showing that the car could be faster, perhaps the very cold temperatures affected them more. The longer Wheelbase could mean a car which a Little bit "diva" like last season´s Mercedes was.

LM10

For those who want to compare/analyze or whatever - fastest lap of last year's and this year's testing splitscreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TEBwZfyc1M

Mr.G

So the new name for Vettel's car is Loria with potetial change to G-Loria :)

http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id/22 ... -car-loria
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

dren

Fitting, Mr. G ;)

Melbourne is always a crapshoot and is rarely indicitive of what the season will look like. It sounds like Ferrari still have a bit to gain before quali with the set-up. We've seen them make strides over the weekend leading into the race. I expect Vettel to be fighting for the lead at the start with Max and Hamilton.
Honda!

Nonserviam85

I believe the longer wheelbase car will suit Kimi's driving style more and Seb might struggle in the first couple of races

PhillipM

I think it'll be the softer tyres that suit Kimi a bit this year rather than the car, he likes lots of front end grip/feedback and he's always been great at making softer tyres last.

Vasconia

PhillipM wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 18:10
I think it'll be the softer tyres that suit Kimi a bit this year rather than the car, he likes lots of front end grip/feedback and he's always been great at making softer tyres last.
It could be because he was faster than Seb, but the German hasn´t complained at all. I guess he knows where is the problems.

I know that Australia is not a good indicator but it showed that some Ferrari´s problems are real.

1. Fuel consumption. Difficult to solve until it comes a PU evolution, when it will be? because the current engine must last a bunch of races.

2. Worse balance and DF, last year Ferrari was very fast on corners, now they have to struggle much more which is terrible because it was the only way they could defeat Mercedes as it seems nearly imposible to build a better PU than the Germans.

Thoughts?

JRodrigues

I don't know if the consumption is a problem. Vettel didn't have to slow down for us to consider he was saving fuel. If that is the case, then Mercedes did the same.

Yes, the car didn't seem as responsive/quick in Australia, but there maybe some tracks where last year's car wasn't as quick and this year it could be at the front. It might suit better some tracks more than others, we'll just have to wait and see.

Vasconia

JRodrigues wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:10
I don't know if the consumption is a problem. Vettel didn't have to slow down for us to consider he was saving fuel. If that is the case, then Mercedes did the same.

Yes, the car didn't seem as responsive/quick in Australia, but there maybe some tracks where last year's car wasn't as quick and this year it could be at the front. It might suit better some tracks more than others, we'll just have to wait and see.
I read/Heard that Mercedes saved fuel on the first stint, but they also say that the Germans have a very fuel efficient PU so they don´t need to save as much as Ferrari.

ferkan

PU is as fuel efficient as its powerful. That means more power = bigger efficiency = better fuel economy.

I wonder is there any artistic reason why Ferrari painted half of shark fin in red and made it not follow fluid engine cover, but actually look bulging out and making car look fatter? Really weird choice when compared to Haas for example.

ripper

Yesterday I found this article that might summarize a bit FER moment:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... 92475&em=1

quick translation:

- at Barcelona FER hadn't aerodinamic balance
- new floor with 2 channels near transmission gave instability at the beginning of braking
- in last 2 weeks they tried to fix the problem (more rigid floor and more expansion from diffuser), but this isn't a definitve solution. On friday they also used sensor to monitor movements and heights
- FER sent to Australia was "less extreme" than wanted
- they had to reduce rake
- with less DF on rear they had to use a lower DF front wing to keep aerodynamic balance
- Less downforce and drag gave them higher top speed

CriXus

ripper wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 13:16
Yesterday I found this article that might summarize a bit FER moment:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... 92475&em=1

quick translation:

- at Barcelona FER hadn't aerodinamic balance
- new floor with 2 channels near transmission gave instability at the beginning of braking
- in last 2 weeks they tried to fix the problem (more rigid floor and more expansion from diffuser), but this isn't a definitve solution. On friday they also used sensor to monitor movements and heights
- FER sent to Australia was "less extreme" than wanted
- they had to reduce rake
- with less DF on rear they had to use a lower DF front wing to keep aerodynamic balance
- Less downforce and drag gave them higher top speed
So the initial car configuration had more downforce, but it was unstable?
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw