General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Revs84

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

I know that at one point last year, Honda admitted that they are getting some sort of consultancy, but to my knowledge, it was never really confirmed who it was getting it from.

Additionally, if Ilmor is really giving Honda consultancy, wouldn't that be strange, considering that the Chevrolet engines for IndyCar is mainly an Ilmor engine? Now I know it's a totally different technology, but I still have my questions.

Some people seem also to be of the impression that with such consultancy, the entire team will change. Well that's not the case. Consultancy does give insights to technologies and information which would otherwise take months to develop, however, at the end of the day, all development is still done by Honda to apply and test such concepts within their own designs.

munudeges

nzjrs wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 23:52
Are we back at the Ilmor saved the day hypothesis? Puh-lease.
What's in the back of that car now is absolutely nothing like what has been produced in the last three years, or indeed, last season.

restless

Its evolution from 2017... please stop with Ilmor madness

etusch

Revs84 wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 10:25
I know that at one point last year, Honda admitted that they are getting some sort of consultancy, but to my knowledge, it was never really confirmed who it was getting it from.

Additionally, if Ilmor is really giving Honda consultancy, wouldn't that be strange, considering that the Chevrolet engines for IndyCar is mainly an Ilmor engine? Now I know it's a totally different technology, but I still have my questions.

Some people seem also to be of the impression that with such consultancy, the entire team will change. Well that's not the case. Consultancy does give insights to technologies and information which would otherwise take months to develop, however, at the end of the day, all development is still done by Honda to apply and test such concepts within their own designs.
When we think indy Honda engines situation then there is a question of Honda need of Ilmor. Whatever, I also read somewhere that Ilmor support on combustion area. This is not important. It looks like Honda walks on his own way and it just take time. I am sure they will be very strong at the end of season.

techman

i remember hasegawa saying they got consultancy advice from illmor but for 2018 they are going to do it the honda way. incorporating some of illmor and honda ideas to it. not bad

Revs84

Hasegawa did confirm that they are getting consultancy, but I'm pretty sure he never confirmed from who.

3jawchuck

munudeges wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 12:22
restless wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 11:37
If you think what is in the back of that Torro Rosso now is in any way like what has been produced previously then you've taken leave of your senses.
The current engine is the "Team Wazari" special. The engine they should have built if they weren't hamstrung in previous seasons.

ispano6

munudeges wrote:
restless wrote:
If you think what is in the back of that Torro Rosso now is in any way like what has been produced previously then you've taken leave of your senses.
It isn't because McLaren aren't holding Honda back. What is it with people here thinking that as soon as Honda has some success it's attributed to outside help. It's a known fact that Honda is now utilizing the many resources within its own company. The reason they've improved is because they've learned from their mistakes. What you seem to be perpetrating is fake news. Some would term it trolling. Unless you have proof that what you're saying isn't just last year's rumors and rubbish.

Zynerji

3jawchuck wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 14:44
munudeges wrote:
restless wrote:
The current engine is the "Team Wazari" special. The engine they should have built if they weren't hamstrung in previous seasons.
The current engine is a "Scuderia Torro Rosso" Special. The dimensions this year are 4CM longer, a weight change, and combusion tech that is quite far advanced from the last "Wazari Special".

Shandow

Honda more involved in new Toro Rosso partnership

"Tanabe was in F1 during past eras of our challenge, and recently he was leading the IndyCar project, so naturally he has a lot of experience in trackside operations," added Yamamoto.

"His style of management is to go inside of the engineering room and collect the information and make decisions, rather than waiting for the information to be reported to him outside. Therefore he is able to show his leadership in very close cooperation both with Toro Rosso and our engineers.

"Asaki is a leader who has led some suffering projects at Honda to huge success in the past. He can always make the right decisions in terms of priorities – working out what is good and removing what is bad.

"In Sakura already, he starting by lining up all the ongoing developments in one place, and then made a decision about which one to focus on, abandoning the others. As a result, now we are putting more resources into one project which enables the development to proceed quicker."
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/17280

dren

Thanks Shandow. It sounds like the right leaders are now in place.
Honda!

Wazari

The current PU is the RA618H. It is longer and heavier exactly as the "Spec 4" PU from last year that never got implemented. The current combustion process is still behind the final version of HRD's final design/concept that is mainly from our group. That is the next big upgrade.

FWIW, Ilmor had zero to do with this PU. Mr. Illien as an individual did meet with HRD on several occasions and offered advice and suggestions on an abstract scale.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

McMika98

Wazari wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 20:53
The current PU is the RA618H. It is longer and heavier exactly as the "Spec 4" PU from last year that never got implemented. The current combustion process is still behind the final version of HRD's final design/concept that is mainly from our group. That is the next big upgrade.

FWIW, Ilmor had zero to do with this PU. Mr. Illien as an individual did meet with HRD on several occasions and offered advice and suggestions on an abstract scale.
As always thanks Wazari. But i dont get why they are using Spec 4.0, this was meant to be implemented last summer. Surely they must have progressed from that development. Half a season is a decade in formula 1 terms, too much catching up to do. Kinda disappointing.

It would be nice if Toro Rosso decide to use one of the aggressive less reliable engine on one car as they dont have much to lose.

Maritimer

Believe he stated previously that the current engine isn't really the spec IV from last season but an amalgamation of it with more developed parts. A mutt if you will.

techman

Hi Wazari. - creating a steep angle on the exhaust pipe to create the blown rear wing methond of renault was it discusssed by honda after the test. renault seem to have got good downforce through this method?