McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bauc

Re: McLaren MCL33

Mat-tes wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 09:47
I'd say the openings and inlets were already there during testing, shape wise it's probably a bit different but I'd assume they function the same.
The back part where it goes up was also there, it's for the rear wing support.

However, the black paint is new and it's around where the burned lines were during both weeks of testing.
Could they have surfaced the bodywork with the same material that the teams used to apply during the blown diffusor era? All teams had the surroundings of the exhausts painted in black, similar to here.
Those could be easy fixes for McLaren while they come up with a better internal design and cooling package for Barcelona, maybe.
Yeah that is not black pain, instead it is some kind of heat resistant material
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

JonoNic

JonoNic wrote:To aid cooling under the engine cover. Mclaren could make more space for engine cooling in the engine cover by adding a more concave shape on both sides of the mini shark-fin where it attaches to the top of the engine cover. It would create a small triangle-shaped tunnel for more airflow from front to back. I have seen this on the AMG Petronas cover but not on others. There may be other teams but seems logical if space is at a premium.

I attached a pic to explain what I mean. There's a big difference in shape between this pic and the one from Mclaren that is being held.Image

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Whoever did this strike-through is a bit over-eager. I am commenting on the Mclaren engine cover but using a Mercedes pic to explain what I meant. Are you not allowed to do that?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Sevach

Xero

Front wing looks identical to the one used in testing.

bauc

Xero wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 14:37
Front wing looks identical to the one used in testing.
I think they brought the 'old'' preseason spec and the new spec (if that even applies for the font wing) configuration to do a proper back to back test and analyse the changes/gains made
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Xero

bauc wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 14:48
I think they brought the 'old'' preseason spec and the new spec (if that even applies for the font wing) configuration to do a proper back to back test and analyse the changes/gains made
Yeah, I thought that after I posted.

ivanlesk

Probably they wil in FP1 do base check and corelation. Then in fp2 new aero upgrades.
Or one car old "spec" and new one new "spec" parts.

godlameroso

The blades on top of the sidepods have changed there used to be 3 per row, now there's only 2.
Saishū kōnā

Thunder

godlameroso wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 16:42
The blades on top of the sidepods have changed there used to be 3 per row, now there's only 2.
You can see the third one just peeking out of the Foam on the bottom.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

Ah I missed that.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

bauc wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 09:50
Yeah that is not black pain, instead it is some kind of heat resistant material
It's just black VHT paint they're using to stop the media crying about overheating whilst they test/corroborate against the new parts.
You can even see where they've cut the vinyl away under the edge of it to stop it bubbling.

Macklaren

Still no S-duct?

OzanA

I will be disappointed if they use launch spec in AUS

604gtir

Macklaren wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 21:11
Still no S-duct?
haven't most ppl figured out that for scrutineering almost all teams put on their old body work ?

Macklaren

604gtir wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 21:57
Macklaren wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 21:11
Still no S-duct?
haven't most ppl figured out that for scrutineering almost all teams put on their old body work ?
Fair point...but seems like a lot of old bodywork to lug all the way to Australia if only for scrutineering. If they want to do back-to-back testing that’s fine