2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rogazilla
rogazilla

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

It is all relative isn't it @makecry. Techman does sound like a broken record or a skipping CD but that's also because people are not willing to see what he saw. You can agree to disagree but this topic has been beaten to death.

Gerhardsa

makecry wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 13:47

It flew right past you because you are always hell bent on pushing the "draggy mclaren chassis" narrative even though I see what you are trying to imply here but it's not going to be as of a factor as you are implying. . A fuel efficient engine + draggy chassis (mercedes' is quite draggy with all the million little winglets and by the virtue of running very high downforce) will not be as bad as a fuel hungry + low drag car.
No use arguing with someone that believes their own made up assumptions are "fact". Its clearly a vendetta against McLaren (in defense of Honda and their now new race team) at every opportunity. Everyone can see it
Don't be dragged down. Just laugh.

makecry
makecry

rogazilla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:18
It is all relative isn't it @makecry. Techman does sound like a broken record or a skipping CD but that's also because people are not willing to see what he saw. You can agree to disagree but this topic has been beaten to death.
What topic? McLaren Honda topic? yes but that wasn't what I was talking about. I was replying to techman who commented that Renault has now matched Honda's output and so I replied to him that peak output doesnt matter, efficiency does and Honda lacks in that which is evident by the fact that McLaren Honda on average were best of the rest in last few races but their race pace lacked, mainly due to massive fuel savings they had to do and that Honda needs to improve that to actually be good competitive PU and then mr.techman over turned into his usual "but draggy mclaren" .

The response was about deficit in terms of over efficiency evident by race pace last year and it wasn't about McLaren vs Honda or whatever.

j.yank
j.yank

makecry wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:50
rogazilla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:18
What topic? McLaren Honda topic? yes but that wasn't what I was talking about. I was replying to techman who commented that Renault has now matched Honda's output and so I replied to him that peak output doesnt matter, efficiency does and Honda lacks in that which is evident by the fact that McLaren Honda on average were best of the rest in last few races but their race pace lacked, mainly due to massive fuel savings they had to do and that Honda needs to improve that to actually be good competitive PU and then mr.techman over turned into his usual "but draggy mclaren" .

The response was about deficit in terms of over efficiency evident by race pace last year and it wasn't about McLaren vs Honda or whatever.
How do you translate the last year efficiency to the present state of affairs? Also, I don't wish to go here in arguing about last year, but could be interesting to see your evidence that McLaren-Honda were down in lap times due to massive fuel savings compared to the other teams. What I remember is that they were able to keep their distance to the rest of middle field very easily and consistently in the last four races. This cannot be done with fuel saving.

techman
techman

its funny you still dont know that drag has a part to play in fuel efficiency. so here is it. read please.

http://illumin.usc.edu/252/drag-reducti ... l-economy/
http://thenewswheel.com/explained-downf ... dirty-air/
neither toro rosso or mclaren is aero efficient i fear they might be good over one lap but might struggle for fuel economy. toro rosso seems to brought a hell of lots new winglets to australia.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Have to agree with j.yank here. We don't know the efficiency level this year. I believe MGU-H and other ERS parts are now made in house instead of by McLaren or 3rd party. It may blow up, it may be less efficient or it could have improved. Based on the Race sim during testing season, my personal opinion is that it has been reliable for the parts but we don't know the efficiency. Judging on the lap time, again my personal opinion, it is not less efficient than 2017.

@makecry The topic that's been beaten to death that I am talking about is Drag. The 2 camps will never see eye to eye. I would just drop that and let's see what happen in season or discuss in the car section.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

carisi2k

Someone's comment about Toro rosso having to save fuel in testing is what got me to the fuel efficiency and energy recovery topic rather then total peak horsepower. As stated I still believe the Honda and Renault are line ball on total power but have come to think that the Honda can't use that power on every lap in a race. Maybe the Honda will be 15 or more usable horses down on the Renault on each lap due to it's inefficiency in energy recovery. Maybe Wazari could shed some light in the Honda thread.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Impressive start, calm and assured. Speed trap looking good too!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Sayeman

was expecting regular 9-10th, but might be worse than that. I knew people are being a bit too optimistic
Never Give up.

techman
techman

i think the start is ok. just hope toro rosso can build a b spec car using redbull last year chassis. toro rosso was about 0.8 sec slower to redbull team with renault.

HPD

We have to face reality, 2018 will not be very good for us.
The positive thing is that we are not so far from the intermediate field.

The race could be harder for us. I'll be happy if they end up with good reliability

dren

The midfield from Mclaren to TR is a one second spread. That's very tight. I see the order moving back and forth depending on the track. Once Honda brings their performance update, they should make a jump up the midfield a bit. The cars aren't dead last and are clearly a good step above Sauber. It looks like they will be battling it out with Williams.
Honda!

HPD

Sincere words from Gastly. It seems that the chassis suffered enough with the change of engine.
What are the objectives of this first season as holder at Toro Rosso?
The teams told us that it would be complicated for the start of the season because the contract was signed late with Honda (engine manufacturer that replaces Renault since this season, ed). It was necessary to change a lot of things on the car, they threw six months of development in the trash because they had to remake all the back of the car. Performance should be better in May. I hope that we will have a car to fight in the points and make flashes during the season.
http://www.gqmagazine.fr/lifestyle/spor ... ttel/61744
Brendon Hartley clocked the 18th time in the morning and 16th in the afternoon. He had what James Key, the technical director of Toro Rosso, described as "operational concerns".

"We lost some time on the track in the first session this morning, but we caught up with a good second session," said Hartley. "Tire management will be a very important topic in all teams but we have good data, whether for long relays or short relays. "
"We seem to be fighting in the middle of the rankings, but we still have some things to improve before qualifying. "

GASLY THINKS THAT GAPS ARE LOWPierre Gasly took 11th place in the first session. He signed the 17th time in the second. He expects some highly contested qualifications.

"The first Friday of the year ... it feels good to get back in the car to start the season! Says the Frenchman. "We've tested a lot of things for qualifying and the race, but we do not really know what the weather will be like tomorrow and Sunday, it seems like it might rain. "
"We'll see how it's going to happen, at least we've done some big tests and now we have to analyze the good and the bad things of this day. "
"I think it will be tight in the middle of the standings tomorrow, so we really have to put everything together, it can make a big difference on the starting grid. "

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

dren wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 12:31
The midfield from Mclaren to TR is a one second spread. That's very tight. I see the order moving back and forth depending on the track. Once Honda brings their performance update, they should make a jump up the midfield a bit. The cars aren't dead last and are clearly a good step above Sauber. It looks like they will be battling it out with Williams.
The issue is, everybody (well, Renault at least) is gearing up for engine 2 and the performance it will bring. The midfield is littered with Ferrari & Mercedes power. Renault have proven since 2016 season that their quite astute at unlocking performance with mapping, software etc. The reliability Honda have achieved is remarkable, Paul Di Resta was saying on Sky that if this is how they started 2017, the engine would still be in a Mclaren.
Let's see how it goes, I was hoping for a showdown for 4th place between Mclaren, Renault & STR.