McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andres125sx

Re: McLaren MCL33

Thunder wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 20:03
Livery and Sponsor Discussion this Way Please :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26883
Not even a livery compliment allowed after watching those fantastic pictures? :(

jagunx51

............!!!!

GPR-A duplicate2

jagunx51 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 05:56
Wow. Nice shades the car is wearing!

Jef Patat

Looks like no s-duct provisions at all at this moment, only driver cooling then? This is how it used to look:

ScrewCaptain27

Close-ups of the Halo by @AlbertFabrega:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Sieper

Can you find water with that thing?

tranquility2k4

Where is McLarens big upgrade? Before the lauch of the car Peter Prod even said not to expect much at launch and that in AUS they would have an all new car based on 2 - 3 months of work. I expected almost a B spec car here, certainly lots of visible updates. It's very strange.

All I can think is due to the issues they had in testing it has been delayed - maybe the planned bodywork updates were not going to work and so they had to go back to the drawing board. Either way, a big shame really that McLaren are 1 sec or more off Red Bull with the same engine. Their car just looks way too basic, and apart from the very impressive packaging, and aggressive FW and RW is pretty dissapointing.

Benii6

tranquility2k4 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 18:42
Where is McLarens big upgrade? Before the lauch of the car Peter Prod even said not to expect much at launch and that in AUS they would have an all new car based on 2 - 3 months of work. I expected almost a B spec car here, certainly lots of visible updates. It's very strange.

All I can think is due to the issues they had in testing it has been delayed - maybe the planned bodywork updates were not going to work and so they had to go back to the drawing board. Either way, a big shame really that McLaren are 1 sec or more off Red Bull with the same engine. Their car just looks way too basic, and apart from the very impressive packaging, and aggressive FW and RW is pretty dissapointing.
Yeah I completely agree with you. I was excited to see their pace against RedBull, but it looks like they'll be quite slower.
Although I saw an interview in which Alonso said they'll rollout all their upgrades in the next couple (2-3) races. So there's that.

dr_cooke

I don't understand what some people were expecting. RB is up there, maybe between Merc and Ferrari, maybe just behind Ferrari. Renault engine is surely worse that Merc and Ferrari ones. If RB is close to those teams with a substantially worse engine (1s-1.5s slower than Merc?) it is because they have a helluva chassis. McL bringing out of the box a car within 1s of RB would be quite an achievement, in my eyes. And I would expect distance to be substantially reduced over the season, getting very close to them (RB, that is) in the final third or so...

diffuser

Thanks to RaceFans For these Shots of RAKE!

SameSame

Benii6 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 19:18
tranquility2k4 wrote:

Yeah I completely agree with you. I was excited to see their pace against RedBull, but it looks like they'll be quite slower.
Although I saw an interview in which Alonso said they'll rollout all their upgrades in the next couple (2-3) races. So there's that.
Just because there aren't any visible changes present doesn't mean that they didn't bring upgrades. They could have implemented a whole host of changes under the skin which we wouldn't see; such as improved thermal and internal flow management.

Teams are also known to bring new parts to FP3. If by some chance its a dry session we may see some new bits.

Just_a_fan

I'm just glad to see McLaren in traditional Papaya Orange even if there are no obvious aero updates. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DiogoBrand

tranquility2k4 wrote:

First of all: I don't think this is the right thread.
But to answer your criticism, as someone already said, if Red Bull is able to compete with Ferrari and Mercedes with a clearly inferior PU, is because they have a monster of a chassis. McLaren has a brand new Power Unit, they probably have tons of things to understand before they can upgrade the car. In Formula 1 you can't move forward if you don't even know exactly what you have in hands. McLaren has also wasted three years of development because their lack of power that didn't allow them to know what else was wrong with the car.

And last but certainly not least: Can people stop with the "the car looks too basic" thing? Do you have CFD eyes? Do you have evidence that complicated aero equals more performance? If not, please don't use this argument anymore.
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 23 Mar 2018, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

NYGIANTS

Jef Patat wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 09:27
Looks like no s-duct provisions at all at this moment, only driver cooling then? This is how it used to look:
http://i.imgur.com/xFb4vOi.jpg
that's actually their timing screen i think. i saw alonso touching it as if it was tablet.

Sieper

Diogo, good post but please man, don’t be so angry. I agree with you that you cannot tell anything from a car just by looking at its exterior and concluding it looks basic. However, last years Red Bull was also looking bare at season start and I too thought, well, this says nothing, the shapes and flows might be just right. But after bits got started adding to it it did achieve more efficient downforce. Now what is happening inside the RBR13/14 we also cannot tell, nor extrapolating this to the MCL33 would be sensible, but you cannot simply discard the Notion altogether. Lets wait and see how the season progresses. I do expect we are going to see a more intricate sidepod flow conditioner over the comming months.