2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

The only thing I will remember from this race is the depth of knowledge and high iq from skyF1 presenters on Vettel's pit under virtual safety car.

basti313
basti313

foxmulder_ms wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:09
The only thing I will remember from this race is the depth of knowledge and high iq from skyF1 presenters on Vettel's pit under virtual safety car.
Elaborate more on this please, sounds interesting but I do not get it.
Don`t russel the hamster!

JonoNic

Alonso was 27 seconds behind Vettel today. RBR was 7 seconds behind. So does that mean that Mclaren's chassis is currently 20 seconds for race distance behind RBR in chassis/aero development alone? That's alot

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Andres125sx

Wheelgungate: When Haas, as a payback to Ferrari because of using their past season chassis, sabotage their own cars to cause a SC wich gifted vitory to Ferrari

Any credit? :mrgreen:

Before any Haas retired, I was thinking about how happy should be Ferrari because of Hass pace with their old chassis, as they were holding back RBR letting Ferrari to focus on Mercedes. Then one Haas fails almost causing a SC but didn´t. Then the second fails again finally causing a SC and gifting victory to Ferrari...

I usually don´t buy coincidences in F1 :twisted: :twisted:

Moose
Moose

JonoNic wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:44
Alonso was 27 seconds behind Vettel today. RBR was 7 seconds behind. So does that mean that Mclaren's chassis is currently 20 seconds for race distance behind RBR in chassis/aero development alone? That's alot

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
No - it means that across all these areas McLaren has 20 seconds to make up:
1. Aero
2. Chassis Mechanics
3. Suspension
4. Transmission Efficiency
5. Engine Map Choice
6. Engine Cooling
7. Tyre Usage
8. Not Driving In Traffic
9. Drivers
10. Pit Stops
11. Setup
12. Engine Saving
13. ............

There's far more to an F1 car and race distance than "engine" and "aero/chassis". I wish that everyone would stop trying to reduce everything to only those two choices.

andrewf1

DiogoBrand wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 16:19
Am I right in assuming that after the Oil Burning subject, the controversy of the year will be Mercedes' power modes? Everyone talking about it in Qualy, everyone talking about it during the race, it just doesn't stop.
Except there's nothing controversial about them and every manufacturer has different power modes.
The rest is just envy and blabber.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

looking for those nice orange cars on the UK (Channel 4) coverage I was entertained by expert Coulthard saying ....

(yesterday) the cars have dual clutches
(today) in the old days cars were overfilled with oil to blacken the face of eg Stirling Moss
(actually Moss's face blackened by his own brake dust (inboard brakes venting to low pressure cockpit) and his 'sit back' style
or 1000 miles of public road dirt from passing 600 competitors)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 25 Mar 2018, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

jknights
jknights

It beggars belief in a sport so obsessed by minuteae that the regulations allow that an advantage can be gained when under 'safety car rules'. If this is the case then 'tactical' or otherwise, stoppages on the track should cause a red flag situation!
Surely Charlie Whiting should see that this is not good for the port and give a technical penalty.

In reality all that is required for VSC and SC events is that all cars must be in line up prior to resumption of racing in the same order they were before the declared VSC/SC.

As a Ferrari supporter I dont want to adopt a win by any means mentality otherwise we will return to the deliberate accidents of the past!

Sniffit

I must say that I am quite disappointed, not in the race itself, it was a fairly decent race as far Melbourne can provide one.

I am disappointed in the people here and in the tone of the discussion, the accusations and the blatant disrespect shown both to eachother but also towards the teams and drivers.

I have come to know the forum here as filled with people with vast and varied knowledge on every aspect of the sport, yet when the outcome of races doesn't conform to your ideal view some on here completely lose all semblance of critical thinking and civility.

This is a sport, it's not just about being the fastest, the one with best aero, most powerful engine, coolest concept or most originality. It is about getting from start to finish ahead of the competition, if you do that by using clever engine settings, good strategy or just plain dumb luck doesn't matter.

Instead of being angry that Mercedes have a power advantage, be impressed with how they manage to get PU, software and aero to work together.
Instead of being mad about Ferrari got by under the VSC, be impressed with how they did it, that they took the chance to stay out knowing it was their only hope.
Instead of spreading ludicrous conspiracy theories about HAAS failed pitstops, feel their pain.

I understand that some people doesn't like Vettel or Ferrari, I don't. But that doesn't mean that their win wasn't deserved.
I understand that some hate that Merc have been so dominant, I do. but that doesn't mean that it haven't been deserved.
I understand that people doesn't like the way HAAS is being run, I don't. But that doesn't mean that they would throw a race away, they wouldn't.

So please, discuss the how's, why's and what rival teams could do about it the next time around, but leave the childish poo flinging at the door.
Last edited by Sniffit on 25 Mar 2018, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE
the EDGE

andrewf1 wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:54
DiogoBrand wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 16:19
Am I right in assuming that after the Oil Burning subject, the controversy of the year will be Mercedes' power modes? Everyone talking about it in Qualy, everyone talking about it during the race, it just doesn't stop.
Except there's nothing controversial about them and every manufacturer has different power modes.
The rest is just envy and blabber.
Quite right, Merc don’t have a secret way of increasing power in Q3, they simply turn the power down at other times

the EDGE
the EDGE

jknights wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:58
It beggars belief in a sport so obsessed by minuteae that the regulations allow that an advantage can be gained when under 'safety car rules'. If this is the case then 'tactical' or otherwise, stoppages on the track should cause a red flag situation!
Surely Charlie Whiting should see that this is not good for the port and give a technical penalty.

In reality all that is required for VSC and SC events is that all cars must be in line up prior to resumption of racing in the same order they were before the declared VSC/SC.

As a Ferrari supporter I dont want to adopt a win by any means mentality otherwise we will return to the deliberate accidents of the past!
I think the only fair way is to have cars putting under VSC serve a penalty period before mechanics can work in car, obviously the time can be pre-decided for each race so no advantage/disadvantage occurs

Schumix
Schumix

foxmulder_ms wrote:
Hi mate,
I really understand what you are meaning. I am always amazed when listening those genuine experts. Just unbelievable how far people can't open their mind

aral
aral

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:48
Wheelgungate: When Haas, as a payback to Ferrari because of using their past season chassis, sabotage their own cars to cause a SC wich gifted vitory to Ferrari

Before any Haas retired, I was thinking about how happy should be Ferrari because of Hass pace with their old chassis, as they were holding back RBR letting Ferrari to focus on Mercedes. Then one Haas fails almost causing a SC but didn´t. Then the second fails again finally causing a SC and gifting victory to Ferrari...

It seems that you havent realised that HAAS actually use a Dallara chassis.

joshuagore
joshuagore

foxmulder_ms wrote:
I too was overwhelmed by the succinct explanation for the benefit gained. It was almost as though they had been watching f1 for years and understood how vsc undercut was a thing, and that fast teams who pit as soon as it's in their favor, lose the opportunity to pit later at a street circuit where safety cars are a statistical probability...

It was so nice to hear the presenters get to this straight dope so quickly and totally not participate in any bullshittery.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aral wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 18:42
Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:48

It seems that you havent realised that HAAS actually use a Dallara chassis.
But they use Ferrari suspension, PU and gearbox. The chassis, in F1 context, isn't just the survival tub.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.