Conrod

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers

Re: Conrod

afaik
the tensile load will determine whether the small end eye can be designed for strength only ....
or whether stiffness (to avoid excessive contact loadings from pinch of the small end bearing) is the dominant design factor

Wright's Cyclone 18 c.1941 seems to have been a pioneer of H section rods
but maybe that was for the master rod only (and for master rod specific reasons)
or was it said that there some reason, from gas load distribution ?

strad

JEEEEEZ
Sorry guys I didn't look at the op date.
Never expected something like that to get bumped.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

I wish there was a thread that us plebs could ask this sort of engineering question of the more knowledgeable.
One of the main reasons I joined up her is the depth and strength of expertises and the (seeming) willingness to share.

Looking things up is fine if you have the depth of understanding to first know the right questions and then how to apply it.

There are also thongs that are race car specific and the answer is out there for road cars, but not really applicable to F1. For instance, the effect of gearing on fuel consumption in f1. Plenty on road cars, but the requirements are not the same.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

63l8qrrfy6

Tommy Cookers wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 17:49
afaik
the tensile load will determine whether the small end eye can be designed for strength only ....
or whether stiffness (to avoid excessive contact loadings from pinch of the small end bearing) is the dominant design factor

Wright's Cyclone 18 c.1941 seems to have been a pioneer of H section rods
but maybe that was for the master rod only (and for master rod specific reasons)
or was it said that there some reason, from gas load distribution ?
I agree, rod stiffness is very important, not only for small end and big end bearings but for the rod bolts too (the higher the bolt turret stiffness, the smaller the bolt load). It is one of the many reasons titanium rods are so hard to design right as its young's modulus is half that of steel.

I suppose that in the case of radial engines having a H section master rod makes for a tidier transition to the flange that holds the other rods ?

strad

Guess you could say I was conned. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss