General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rogazilla
rogazilla

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

I think even if Red Bull decision is made now. They won’t tell Renault until late in the season. As soon as that decision is known by Renault you can be sure they will start to hide their pu development and probably mapping updates to red bull. There is no benefit for Red Bull to let Renault know of their decision. And that’s probably why Renault wanted to know by May. The way I see it is probably by mid season of Red Bull is assisting TR rear end that would be the indication of which direction they want to go.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

rogazilla wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:26
I think even if Red Bull decision is made now. They won’t tell Renault until late in the season. As soon as that decision is known by Renault you can be sure they will start to hide their pu development and probably mapping updates to red bull. There is no benefit for Red Bull to let Renault know of their decision. And that’s probably why Renault wanted to know by May. The way I see it is probably by mid season of Red Bull is assisting TR rear end that would be the indication of which direction they want to go.
My impression is, that if they don't confirm till may, Renault will ditch them?

etusch

rogazilla wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:26
There are still question marqs for us but maybe not for Redbull. Becuase they can get data from first hand. I agree with what you said but I think Redbull not need to help TR for PU Chassis adaptation. If you assumption is true they will get everything needed about engine to design their Chassis and when they started to work on 2019 chassis they will not have any time to help TR.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Last year I believe mclaren waited to the last possible weekend to switch because sport regulation has the dead line after summer break/September? The May deadline is what Renault told RBR but I don’t think it is supported by contract or FIA. Someone can correct me on that if I am mistaken

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

rogazilla wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:35
Last year I believe mclaren waited to the last possible weekend to switch because sport regulation has the dead line after summer break/September? The May deadline is what Renault told RBR but I don’t think it is supported by contract or FIA. Someone can correct me on that if I am mistaken
Other way around?
By regulations is may and if at that point team doesn't have engine FIA then forces EM with least customers to supply team.
TR and MC done swap in last moment to be (nearly) ready for season.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Got you. Thank you for clarification

techman
techman

good job i heard honda upgrade is for canada. hopefully by that time TR can figt for podiums , need a better driver than hartley

etusch

Canada track is alike Bahrain isn't it ? ( low speed turns long straight etc. Long straight ? Oh my God what is going on ? )

Revs84
Revs84

techman wrote:
07 Apr 2018, 18:45
good job i heard honda upgrade is for canada. hopefully by that time TR can figt for podiums , need a better driver than hartley
Hartley needs more time in single-seater series and I bet is feeling pressure from Gasly. Give him time, he'll get there.

As for podiums? I think second part of the season regular Q3 and top 10 finishes are achievable but podiums? That's a bit of a long shot for this year imo.

Not that I won't take it if it comes mind you, but let's keep our feet on the ground ;)

rogazilla
rogazilla

The gap still big between the top 3 and the rest

Big Tea

Keep in mind th cost to Red Bull of running a second team.
Just paying for engines is a load on the bank, so free engines, how ever poor, are an advantage.
Work from there up with scenarios of testing for the boss team or giving STR a value to re sell and it is win-win.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

blueytoo
blueytoo

McMika98 wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 22:31
Anyways as an aspiring engineer if i was designing a system in this case a PU with 4 integral components, i would have a requirement to eliminate knock on failures. The failure although unexpected wasnt catastrophic, but then to have knock on effects is just poor design to me.
Eliminating knock on failures is not as easy as it sounds. Every solution has a cost. Design always involves compromise of competing requirements.

Take misfuelling of diesel cars with petrol as an example. Still happens and hasn't been solved.

Don't know if any car will survive a turbo failure without engine damage.

blueytoo
blueytoo

If Red Bull is to swap to Honda PU in 2019, it would want to be fully prepared and competitive ASAP.It is feasible (speculation) that Red Bull are working on integrating the Honda PU into RB chassis in the basement rolling road dyno in building 9.

McMika98
McMika98

blueytoo wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 01:34
McMika98 wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 22:31
Anyways as an aspiring engineer if i was designing a system in this case a PU with 4 integral components, i would have a requirement to eliminate knock on failures. The failure although unexpected wasnt catastrophic, but then to have knock on effects is just poor design to me.
Eliminating knock on failures is not as easy as it sounds. Every solution has a cost. Design always involves compromise of competing requirements.

Take misfuelling of diesel cars with petrol as an example. Still happens and hasn't been solved.

Don't know if any car will survive a turbo failure without engine damage.
Yes but this is f1 and after throwing over 100 million each year for the last 4 years i expect more. Turbos arent really rocket science and MGUH isnt much of a leap into new frontier of technology.
In the design phase i would have expected an exhaustive NPI pack with all failure mode scenarios. Anyways one assumes the report to the recent failures be like: why did the turbo fail -- MGUH spike, why - why - why --- Integrated components, design issue.
As for the refuel issue, there are several mitigations ala colour coding, labels; which have been quite successful as i never have had issues when i switch between petrol and deisel cars. 99.99% of such errors are due to human factors. Its a major issue in manufacturing, hence the push for automation. But thats different to a design phase where one need to precisely consider such failures and design it out.

Revs84
Revs84

McMika98 wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 07:21
Turbos arent really rocket science and MGUH isnt much of a leap into new frontier of technology.
You'd be surprised how much these engines shared with rocket science when considering the little details the engineers go into when building these PUs. Suffice to say that Honda have recently started working closely with their aircraft division to improve their turbo and other parts of the PU.

This is F1 and unlike rocket science, it's a fierce competition. In the latter there are no particular regulations such as fuel consumption etc. They build something that is reliable, without compromises. In F1 you cannot do that. Every decision is a compromise and I can assure you that these engineers are pushing their envelopes hard in terms of producing relatively reliable engines, yet competitive, within the current regulations.