Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Maritimer

Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/por ... d-1024214/

If only they could have raced in this configuration

Stef

Re: Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

F1s have restrictions too.

PR for the win, i guess

Xwang

The front of the car is nicer than actual WEC cars and from the performance point of view I see a sort of skirt on the side.

Just_a_fan

If Mercedes stuck more downforce on their car and turned up the power it would have been quicker too. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Still cool though =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stef

If everyone starts to make their cars as fast as possible beyond existing rules, well, what could go wrong ?

Santozini

Stef wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 21:07
If everyone starts to make their cars as fast as possible beyond existing rules, well, what could go wrong ?
Yes please!

I really appreciate Porsche doing this. Gives us an idea of a car's true potential.

This is like seeing a tiger in its natural habitat, compared to seeing it in a cage in a zoo (under FIA rules)

TalnoRacing

Does anybody think Porsche will attempt to beat Stefan Bellof's all time Nurburgring lap record?

toraabe

Stef wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 18:12
F1s have restrictions too.

PR for the win, i guess
At least they should allow skirts and tunnels ;)

bill shoe

TalnoRacing wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 10:09
Does anybody think Porsche will attempt to beat Stefan Bellof's all time Nurburgring lap record?
Would be nice to see a modern grown-up race car put down a serious lap there. Would probably shut up the tuner/supercar/hypercar people once and for all, and return the racetrack to the racers. Like Peugeot's mic-drop at Pike Peak a few years ago.

Maritimer

I want to see them run PPIHC in this as well, hit up every event they can run an unlimited car in. Those hybrids were monsters, Porsche were making somewhere around 1500hp at LM in 2015 before the ACO imposed the 1000hp limit. Imagine what the stillborn R18 would have been capable of, must have made over 2000ft/lbs of torque full tilt at all four wheels.

roon

"We are not only faster than the F1 pole from 2017. Today's lap was 12 seconds faster compared to our WEC pole position from last year!
Crazy. I had no idea such a heavier car had this much potential. Unless they pulled some weight out of it as well. No minimum weight limit. I wonder how cornering speeds compare.

Now, if Merc decide to do an exhibition special version of the W07 or W08, like JaF suggested below, the record would get super-smashed. All the old questions about safe track speed limits would come back though, so maybe they wouldn't do it.

Maritimer

roon wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 00:38
"We are not only faster than the F1 pole from 2017. Today's lap was 12 seconds faster compared to our WEC pole position from last year!
Crazy. I had no idea such a heavier car had this much potential. Unless they pulled some weight out of it as well. No minimum weight limit. I wonder how cornering speeds compare.

Now, if Merc decide to do an exhibition special version of the W07 or W08, like JaF suggested below, the record would get super-smashed. All the old questions about safe track speed limits would come back though, so maybe they wouldn't do it.
It took Eau Rouge flat out with DRS open, prototypes have been making huge downforce for a good while now, far more than F1 cars (as per Toyota a couple years ago). AWD and a few thousand pounds of DF make for pretty good corner exits. Weight has always been what held them back ever since the early 90s when the Group C/Camel GTP cars we faster than CART and likely F1 cars at the time.

roon

Maritimer wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 01:09
roon wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 00:38

It took Eau Rouge flat out with DRS open, prototypes have been making huge downforce for a good while now, far more than F1 cars (as per Toyota a couple years ago). AWD and a few thousand pounds of DF make for pretty good corner exits. Weight has always been what held them back ever since the early 90s when the Group C/Camel GTP cars we faster than CART and likely F1 cars at the time.
Thanks. Wasn't aware LMP1 produced more downforce than F1. How do the tires fare? Do they tend to pit more frequently? Do you know how their respective compounds compare?

The 12 second delta well illustrates the effects of regulations. Regarding weight, I found this in another article:

Weight was reduced by 86 pounds, so the 919 Evo weighs just under a ton with Jani on board. The suspension was upgraded to handle all the extra downforce, and Michelin provided a new tire too.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsport ... pa-record/

Cold Fussion

LMP1 would tend to double stint tyres on regular race tracks which would equate to something a bit longer than a long 1 stop strategy in F1. Are there any onboards on the lap.