Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Why did they use electro-mechanical over electro-hydraulic for the HSTA?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tommy Cookers

because the horizontal stabiliser aka tailplane is not moved constantly ie at significant frequency
(I could say it's a jack but there's no law saying electromechanical actuation must be non-backdriveable)

in textbooks trimming eg via HS actuation is classified as secondary flight control
though Moog has tabulated it as primary flight control

trimming action is a slow and infrequent activity
unlike primary control
eg pitch control via the EH elevator servoactuator

johnny comelately

Maybe a dumb question, but why are they using VLIM on (e-turbos)turbo engines?

godlameroso

1. Because the rules allow it.
2. The intake system makes a big difference in area under the curve.

Honda gained 20kw from improving the airbox design alone.
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers

because VLIM gives the most free supercharging over the rpm range used
giving a reduction in compressor work and tending to reduce exhaust pressure
producing an increase in H energy harvest or an increase in ICE power or both

johnny comelately

Thank you fellas, thats illuminating

bucker

Renault says reliability looks good, so all three teams will have a little bit more power from now onwards. MGU-K upgrade planned with second round of power units.

Source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e-1025524/

PlatinumZealot

Tommy Cookers wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:21
because the horizontal stabiliser aka tailplane is not moved constantly ie at significant frequency
(I could say it's a jack but there's no law saying electromechanical actuation must be non-backdriveable)

in textbooks trimming eg via HS actuation is classified as secondary flight control
though Moog has tabulated it as primary flight control

trimming action is a slow and infrequent activity
unlike primary control
eg pitch control via the EH elevator servoactuator
Ok so basically they can get away with a simpler, low demand system for that then.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

63l8qrrfy6

I am not quite sure why electric vs hydraulic is still being debated.
All cars already carry a hydraulic pump so why not actuate everything hydraulically? An electrical actuator is several times heavier than a hydraulic actuator since it normally consists of a low power electric motor that drives a large reduction gearbox to generate any useful torque.

bill shoe

johnny comelately wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:40
Maybe a dumb question, but why are they using VLIM on (e-turbos)turbo engines?
There are other good answers above. I'd say in a turbocharged engine with very narrow rpm range (10,500 - 12,000 rpm) there is relatively little gain from variable intakes. But F1 is so competitive you have to turn every knob available to you, not just the high-gain knobs.

godlameroso

Mudflap wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 22:25
All cars already carry a hydraulic pump so why not actuate everything hydraulically? An electrical actuator is several times heavier than a hydraulic actuator since it normally consists of a low power electric motor that drives a large reduction gearbox to generate any useful torque.
Because I say crazy out there things so they feel the need to prove me wrong. I am wrong some times, as you showed with my mistaken assumption that rod length changed displacement. If I'm wrong I'm willing to accept it and move on, otherwise I will defend my craziness to the death.
Saishū kōnā

djos

Mudflap wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 22:25
Because hydraulic lines full of hydraulic fluid running the length of the car would weigh more than electric cables.
"In downforce we trust"

Tommy Cookers

rather often the hydraulics don't seem reliable - or is this just an excuse - the 'loss of hydraulic pressure' ?

bucker wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 18:47
Renault says reliability looks good, so all three teams will have a little bit more power from now onwards. MGU-K upgrade planned with second round of power units.

Source: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... e-1025524/
Is it more power though? This line makes it sound like it's not an increase in the power they currently have, just more use of the high power mode.

The works Enstone outfit, Red Bull Racing and McLaren are henceforth all allowed to use higher power modes for longer than was the case in Australia and Bahrain.
I hope it's more power, make a it a proper 3 way fight at the front, but that may have to wait until PU #2.

FPV GTHO

I interpreted it as more use of the existing modes.