McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL33

thanks for sharing great picture, i made it a bit bigger and highlited it a bit
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dap3R-3XcAAeoIn.jpg

mclaren111 wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 11:19
Motorsport.com:

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... detail.jpg

A close-up of the rear brake duct fins on the MCL33, which directly increase downforce but also have an impact on the surrounding flow structures.

Postmoe

f1rules wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 11:51
thanks for sharing great picture, i made it a bit bigger and highlited it a bit

mclaren111 wrote:
Motorsport.com:

A close-up of the rear brake duct fins on the MCL33, which directly increase downforce but also have an impact on the surrounding flow structures.
Ok this is officially my favorite part of this car.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Andres125sx

mclaren111 wrote:
Motorsport.com:

Impressive, I feel like a caveman looking at an Iphone :lol: :lol:

M840TR

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

TheFluffy

Now that 3 qualifying have gone past, 3 times out in Q2. This got me thinking what do they need to solve their "seemingly large problems". The obvious reason is their aero efficiency, that is why they did the towing during in Q2. So perhaps in Spain they can have a new upgrade reformating the sidepods making it more efficient? We know that Ferrari dramatically reduced their frontal area of the sidepods this year that may have benefited to lowering the drag. Also which part of the car creates the most drag? Is re profiling their rear wing the most important to reduce drag? The Mclaren rear wing seems crazy complex compared to the likes of the Mercedes and Ferrari.

Do you guys think that their concept is flawed and it takes more than just upgrades to make the car work and be on the level of the top 3?

I am not sure about their peak downforce.. we haven't been in a track that really tests their total downforce.

mclaren111

I am also confused.

Everybody says Mclaren is underdeveloped aero wise but is a high drag car.

What is causing this drag ?

Thank you.

Bisonas

The rumor is, as Ted and croft said on skysport, and it was obvious for many people , that the S duct redesign and implementation needed a a new nose. That nose has not yet pass the crash test. The word is that the new nose will definitely have an S-duct exit.
So the new nose, the s-duct and the finalization of the updates around the new nose, should make the car a lot more aero efficient and a lot less draggy.

Well i hope that is the case at least. Because if the new nose comes, the s-duct comes, and Mclaren still is on the bottom of TOP speed charts on almost all tracks, then i would be really disappointed.

Dr.mclaren

Mclaren started the season with almost identical car to the one they race in abu Dhabi last year..so most of the improvements came from the engine..I think if they got some big aero upgrades before the summer break, their second half will be much better..

henra

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 09:54
Good question!
But how should anybody know just from looking at the car if even McLaren with all the Windtunnel and CFD data seem to have difficulties solving it?
Could be that they have difficulties in diffuser/underbody efficiency and need to compensate with more/steeper wing. Could be internal aerodynamics causing more pressure in front of the sidepod openings (which are a bit on the bigger side anyway). Could be the routing of the air in the tray/bargeboard area. Could be the wings itself. And probably 27 other areas that I even didn't think of. If it was easy they would have already solved it.
We might get an idea if they manage to solve it at some point.

mclaren111

henra wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:21
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 09:54
Good question!
But how should anybody know just from looking at the car if even McLaren with all the Windtunnel and CFD data seem to have difficulties solving it?
Could be that they have difficulties in diffuser/underbody efficiency and need to compensate with more/steeper wing. Could be internal aerodynamics causing more pressure in front of the sidepod openings (which are a bit on the bigger side anyway). Could be the routing of the air in the tray/bargeboard area. Could be the wings itself. And probably 27 other areas that I even didn't think of. If it was easy they would have already solved it.
We might get an idea if they manage to solve it at some point.

Thank you. I see what you mean. :( :(

PhillipM

No S-duct doesn't help, and the internal flow structure and panelling inside the sidepods is very basic - mainly just what they needed to get everything running with the basic Renault package, I would expect a lot of pipe/wiring/hose repackaging and new internal aero covers to come with the new sidepods and nose.

People focus too much on the outside of the car, short of the front and rear wings the internal drag from radiators, coolers and coverings is probably one of the biggest things for optimisation.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 15:32
No S-duct doesn't help, and the internal flow structure and panelling inside the sidepods is very basic - mainly just what they needed to get everything running with the basic Renault package, I would expect a lot of pipe/wiring/hose repackaging and new internal aero covers to come with the new sidepods and nose.

People focus too much on the outside of the car, short of the front and rear wings the internal drag from radiators, coolers and coverings is probably one of the biggest things for optimisation.
Do you think the absence of S-duct adds drag?

PhillipM

In itself, it adds drag, but by cleaning up the boundary layer it can reduce drag downstream.