2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
!Technical

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

As with everyone on the thread, hoping points are possible. With DRS, is it possible for a TR to overtake a Ferrari or Mercedes engined car? We saw glimpses of it with Hartley v Perez but this race should answer that question..

McMika98

!Technical wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 05:08
As with everyone on the thread, hoping points are possible. With DRS, is it possible for a TR to overtake a Ferrari or Mercedes engined car? We saw glimpses of it with Hartley v Perez but this race should answer that question..
Absolutely possibly but the caveat is that the car must be at least 1second faster or if similar pace, be able to follow in dirty air without damaging tyres and aero which is almost impossible in this formua.

restless

very bad start... Hartley on US was slower than everyone around?!

Soichiro

restless wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 08:39
very bad start... Hartley on US was slower than everyone around?!
He also (again - same happened in Australia) blocked Gasly who then remained behind a Sauber (loosing time).
Looks like low temperature is bad for both Honda and TR (Honda doesn't have optimised mappings and TR aero is not working) - TR looses time before entering straights, which results in being unable to get past opponents nor defend the position. :(

Singabule

Emmm what we can expect from two rokies, mishap Come sometimes. STR car has a very little operating temperature, similar to Haas Last year

Marti_EF3

Sh** race today. Pace was low and irregular. Even the Williams were ahead. And then... The 2 cars colliding... I know they are behind on schedule on the chassis due to engine swap, but I was expecting a little more... Let's hope Baku and new upgrades are good.

At least Honda seems to work well and out of reliability problems, so its good

restless

Any idea why Hartley DNF?
I guess Baku will be more of the same

Marti_EF3

restless wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:07
Any idea why Hartley DNF?
I guess Baku will be more of the same
I think they retired the car because going last, nothing to gain. So better to save engine

vassilispapadop

I think that race proved what almost all of us have thought. Driving pair is the biggest issue for the team. I don't know what Gasly had in his mind when tried to throw an overtaking move from nowhere. But even without the collision points wouldn't have been possible today. The team will introduce major aero upgrades in Baku, right?

Sayeman

vassilispapadop wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:18
I think that race proved what almost all of us have thought. Driving pair is the biggest issue for the team. I don't know what Gasly had in his mind when tried to throw an overtaking move from nowhere. But even without the collision points wouldn't have been possible today. The team will introduce major aero upgrades in Baku, right?
To me, the PU still looks the slowest of the lot. Not by much but the lack of power is still there. Chassis shortcomings didn't help of course.
Never Give up.

Soichiro

Sayeman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:24
vassilispapadop wrote:
To me, the PU still looks the slowest of the lot. Not by much but the lack of power is still there. Chassis shortcomings didn't help of course.
What you saw in this race is them being unable to follow the car through and out of the corner - loosing to the car in front, than there is not much they can do. Maybe Mercedes power level could have made the difference, but how much would still be a question for this situation.

McMika98

The minute i saw Hartley on US, it started to feel like they have screwed up the strategy and the start Brendon had was just awful, he would have been overtaken by Gasly had he not blocked him. The whole startegy went out of window after the awful start. Following the Saubers were always going to be tricky. The pace was just awful, they need to understand the tyres and the working range.
The dive was just not necessary, they would have passed Ericsson and if they went to the end could have some running on free air. Baku will be good hopefully with constant high temps but with these two rookies its a tough ask. I hope Honda demand that Button who is signed with Mugen is given Hartleys drive at some point. Similar height so not much change needed.

Bisonas

Sayeman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:24
vassilispapadop wrote:
Honda said that they still have some issues in china regarding energy harvesting and deployment. That big big straight is still an issue for them.
Baku should be much better in general for both TR and Honda. It has more of the Bahrain characteristics .

Marti_EF3

They need upgrades soon. Or at the european season they will be at the back. Even Williams seems to recovery. And the saubers aren't mobile chicanes anymore, they are more faster than last year.

So I hope upgrades at Baku work well, and Honda improves the harvesting strategy. If not, the next GP on Spain they will be at the back... (And will be very disappointing to have been wasted almost 500€ with the tickets 😠)

restless

Baku has loooong straight too.