2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Still waiting for Eric’s head to roll. This is not good enough for a team like McLaren. Seventh place is all down to luck with the SC, otherwise points would not have been possible today.

Embarrassing performance... McLaren’s should be far in front of midfield at this stage. Should be challenging top 3 halfway during the season. Time to act, time to put an accomplished leader at the position of EB and to kick the marketing goerroe out and replace him with someone who knows how to manage a race team.

I feel as if this is all karma for sacking Ron Dennis. Must be hard for him seeing these incompetent fools destroying what’s left of the McLaren name.

Benii6
Benii6

How did he got lucky with the SC?

trinidefender
trinidefender

McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:25
Still waiting for Eric’s head to roll. This is not good enough for a team like McLaren. Seventh place is all down to luck with the SC, otherwise points would not have been possible today.

Embarrassing performance... McLaren’s should be far in front of midfield at this stage. Should be challenging top 3 halfway during the season. Time to act, time to put an accomplished leader at the position of EB and to kick the marketing goerroe out and replace him with someone who knows how to manage a race team.

I feel as if this is all karma for sacking Ron Dennis. Must be hard for him seeing these incompetent fools destroying what’s left of the McLaren name.
The safety car hurt both McLaren drivers...what are you talking about?

PhillipM
PhillipM

McL-H wrote:
They would have been higher up without the Safety Car, it hurt them, not helped - were you actually watching the race and team you're complaining about #-o

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:

I think you were watching the re-run of the Australian Grand Prix, they didn't benefit from the SC, it actually hurt them cause it erased their advantage of fresher tyres. The race pace was decent, but as we know, they need to improve. But I don't see how things will improve if EB is kicked out.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I think Mclaren should take a good hard look at Red Bull and be motivated, not depressed. It's incredible how they're able to be in the mix with the PU deficit. Today's race was one of those Mclaren should have been gunning for a podium, but they're too far back. So, they need to go all out and push really hard. I hope they can, it'll fun to watch their progress.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

I just watched the race and and my only noteworthy assessment was: blimey Alonso really doesn't like Vettel does he?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

A massive relief today, honestly. At least the car has some good race pace! Also, Alonso's P7 apart from Vettel's position was on merit! Full merit! Only Hulkenberg was ahead of him and he started in P7 while Alonso in P13 and got stuck in traffic a lot. No retirements or other stuff. Plus as most people said the Safety Car did hurt him a lot! If he stayed out just for 1-2 laps more and did what Red Bull's did he could have done even better. Now, what must be fixed is qualifying pace but at least the car is not a disaster as many claimed. The only question is how long they could go if they started on ultrasofts if they were in Q3, but I guess it wouldn't change much since starting P13 and getting stuck behind other cars is also a handicap by itself. As for Vandoorne, I guess the safety car cost him way more, let's see.

Alonso Fan

It seems as though this year, with how the cars are treating the tyres and the compounds Pirelli is choosing, the best place to start for a midfield team is P11.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

McL-H wrote:

Embarrassing performance...
Man... it could be argued that Quali performance is not up where it should, but saying McL performance is embarrasing after this race is bringing it way too far. ALO clocked 7th fastest lap, Hulkenberg did 5th. They were racing a similar pace on their last stint, ALO on 2 lap older mediums vs Hulkenberg's softs. McL clearly makes those tyres last way longer than most of the rest. Race pace has been 4th tied with Renault, in my opinion. BTW, ALO made 2nd slowest pitstop, about 2s slower than fastest, could not follow his outlap, maybe these 2 s cost him some positions as well?

zoroastar
zoroastar

the safety car definately didnt hurt mclaren. true that he pitted a little early but without the SC alonso probably wouldnt have caught MAG and definately wouldnt have caught vettel. it would be nice to see where he wuld have ended up if he would have waited for the SC to pit though.

redmaxver
redmaxver

McL-H wrote:

Think this could be the most ridiculous comment of the day. SC was significant disadvantage today. Race pace is very good.

Also, you talk about Ron so much... starting to think you are Ron trying to get his job back? Give it a rest. Eric is doing a good job.

ecodelta
ecodelta

It was not Ron who brought Honda to McLaren.... We have seen the results of that.

ecodelta
ecodelta

Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:16
I just watched the race and and my only noteworthy assessment was: blimey Alonso really doesn't like Vettel does he?
Alonso has his reasons for that....

diffuser

proteus wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:18
carisi2k wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:36
I think you can thank the brilliance of Fernando and the Force India and Williams teams for building such poor cars for Mclaren being in fourth position in the championship.
Please can u stop with comments like this? If the car and the team would be completely useless, then he would not score those results. He is a great driver indeed, but he aint a superman. And there is another thing as well. He is the lead driver in the team and he tends to demand from every team to listen to him and develop the car to suit him best. And to be honest, majority of cars he influenced somewhat lacked top performance (dating back to his Ferrari career).
And you need to give McLaren credit for hiring him.