2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rogazilla

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

etusch wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 23:33
I think they will change gb without penalty by pulling car from the race
Franz Tost (Team Principal) ...At the end of the race, we detected an issue on the gearbox of Brendon's car and therefore we had to retire. Hopefully we can find the reason for this bad performance and be more competitive in Baku."
It is a bad result but in reality, how far are they from Vandoorne? I consider Van with more experiences than TR's 2 drivers. Is the car there yet? no but it is not that bad. Give the driver more experience and get some time to set things up right, they will be doing fine. Definitely looking forward to upgrade and how this season unfold.

sn809

No offense but Di Resta is not exactly prime race material and does not have a lot of experience enough to develop a car. Completely my personal opinion though so could be wrong.

restless

NL_Fer wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:49
No sweeping turns in Baku, no DF needed. Torro Rosso will do fine.
I really wonder... these high top-speeds...

What if TR went the opposite of Mclaren route - low DF, in order to have higher top-speed.
But this will make problems when higher DF is needed - probably most visible in high speed corners?
During season if/when PU increases power output they can add more DF

With low DF they can have problems switching tyres to optimal temps, which we kinda saw yesterday.

iichel

What you're describing is basically a (relatively) underpowered 2014-2017 Williams?

Big Tea

sn809 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 04:18
No offense but Di Resta is not exactly prime race material and does not have a lot of experience enough to develop a car. Completely my personal opinion though so could be wrong.
Not the best by a stretch, but the best available at this time of year. He is by no means a bad driver, and he has lots of experience. There is also the Red Bull problem, that they only use their own drivers. I think he would be outside that as he came up through Mercedes but seems to have passed beyond their 'control' now. Bringing back one of the FE drivers means first they have to be persuaded to change, then they have to learn F1 again.
As you say, butter options there, but are they available? ( this is assuming they will not go back with Kaviat, who I think would be fine ) I also took care to stress the IF :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

restless

iichel wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:42
What you're describing is basically a (relatively) underpowered 2014-2017 Williams?
hm, yea, looks like that
It makes sense, when engine is not even with best ones NOT to make "universal" chassis, but one which is very good onle on certain tracks - to maximize results. We shall see... if Baku is better for the team.
Big Tea wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:44
As you say, butter options there, but are they available? ( this is assuming they will not go back with Kaviat, who I think would be fine ) I also took care to stress the IF :D
For RB best way is to find/sign another young&promising driver for TR2019, no doubt.
And they have the Sainz problem - he won't come back to TR, but is he better than Ricciardo or Verstappen?

Postmoe

restless wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:52
iichel wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:42
hm, yea, looks like that
It makes sense, when engine is not even with best ones NOT to make "universal" chassis, but one which is very good onle on certain tracks - to maximize results. We shall see... if Baku is better for the team.
Big Tea wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 09:44
For RB best way is to find/sign another young&promising driver for TR2019, no doubt.
And they have the Sainz problem - he won't come back to TR, but is he better than Ricciardo or Verstappen?

This is exactly the reverse of the mclaren draggy wars with Honda. One team wanted to show how underpowered the engine was and the otheris just trying the opposite, make Honda look good.

F1 and politics.

hasika

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... ports-moto
Tanabe:We changed the car set up on Saturday,but it didnt work at all.The performance is not here.Aero?Tyre? Or mechanical grip?We have to work hard to find out the reason before the next grand prix.If we can find how to keep the performance we had in Bahrain,it will be a step forward.

Alonso Fan

So they went for less downforce and found out that it didn't really help them make up time on the straights anyway.

That's basically what mclaren learned in their 3 years. Going low on downforce wasn't going to gain them much in the straights. They could sacrifice a little more there and gain a whole chunk of time in the corners to have a better overall lap time. PP and Co confirmed this too. I think Toro Rosso have discovered it too but it won't be necessary everywhere since the Honda has improved a lot from last year. I expect them to be stronger in Baku.

There (and you all probably expected me to deliver truck loads of salt to this thread haha)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

bblundell72

Bisonas wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:11
Honda said that they still have some issues in china regarding energy harvesting and deployment. That big big straight is still an issue for them.
Baku should be much better in general for both TR and Honda. It has more of the Bahrain characteristics .
Baku possibly has the longest straight in F1. It does have kinks in it but they are all easily taken flat. I don't see Honda fairing much better in Baku if the Shanghai straights were still problematic for them.

Stef

A lot more braking zones in Baku to help harvesting.

rogazilla

Stef wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:41
A lot more braking zones in Baku to help harvesting.
I don't think TR's problem is harvesting or fuel saving anymore. At least no more than other teams. This weekend seems to be set up and aero issue. As many have already mentioned the sweepers seem to be where they lose times and that is similar to Australia.

The driver's inexperience does show as they seem to be happy with their setup on Friday and why the decision to change over night? This car seems to have a very small window that it works well, temp and tire temp. Hopefully the upgrade will start to make the car less of a compromise on unfavorable tracks.

!Technical

Poor showing I must say. But willing to give them until after Canada Race Day to prove that they 'Can Fight'

loner

bblundell72 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:27
Bisonas wrote:
Honda said that they still have some issues in china regarding energy harvesting and deployment. That big big straight is still an issue for them.
Baku should be much better in general for both TR and Honda. It has more of the Bahrain characteristics .
Baku possibly has the longest straight in F1. It does have kinks in it but they are all easily taken flat. I don't see Honda fairing much better in Baku if the Shanghai straights were still problematic for them.
says who ?
Gasly did 339.5 in that strait Kimi had the speed trap at 343.8
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... fication-1
para bellum.

Alonso Fan

loner wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:26
bblundell72 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:27
Bisonas wrote:
says who ?
Gasly did 339.5 in that strait Kimi had the speed trap at 343.8
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... fication-1
Yeah nice tow. Have a look at Hamilton at 320...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa