General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HondaRaceReplica

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

blueytoo wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 02:52
If Red Bull is to swap to Honda PU in 2019, it would want to be fully prepared and competitive ASAP.It is feasible (speculation) that Red Bull are working on integrating the Honda PU into RB chassis in the basement rolling road dyno in building 9.
Are you currently an employee for Renault? :mrgreen:

etusch

A "new era" in F1 involving Honda and Red Bull could be dawning. That is the prediction of Franz Tost, the boss at Toro Rosso. In Bahrain, Pierre Gasly stunned F1 by driving his newly Honda-powered car to the best result of the Japanese manufacturer's return to formula one.

It comes just two races after McLaren-Honda's bitter split, and as the British team now continues to struggle despite switching to Renault power. McLaren is putting a brave face on the situation. When asked about Gasly's fourth place in Bahrain, McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne said: "They (Honda) did their job well and took a big step forward. Now it's up to us to catch them."

Fernando Alonso, on the other hand, answered "No" when asked if McLaren might be starting to regret its decision to dump Honda. But Red Bull is looking ahead to an exciting future.

The team looks likely to drop Renault at the end of 2018 and join its fellow Red Bull-owned Toro Rosso team in using Honda engines. "Congratulations to Toro Rosso and Honda," said team boss Christian Horner. "After Melbourne, it's nice to see that they're actually fast and reliable."

As for whether Toro Rosso will lose its status as the sole Honda-powered team in 2019, boss Franz Tost answered: "That depends on Red Bull. We have nothing to do with their decision."

But now, the next 'dream' might not be another fourth place, but a podium. "I don't dare to dream," said Tost. "But I hope that for Toro Rosso, Honda and Red Bull, a new successful era is coming." (GMM)
https://www.f1today.net/en/

gofast182

blueytoo wrote:
If Red Bull is to swap to Honda PU in 2019, it would want to be fully prepared and competitive ASAP.It is feasible (speculation) that Red Bull are working on integrating the Honda PU into RB chassis in the basement rolling road dyno in building 9.
Given the timetable and what's at stake, I'd be shocked if this isn't happening right now.

ivanlesk

gofast182 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 19:07
blueytoo wrote:
Given the timetable and what's at stake, I'd be shocked if this isn't happening right now.
Is this legal?

maguetox

gofast182 wrote:
blueytoo wrote:
The only way that I see a Red Bull Honda for 2019 is if Honda have a big and sustancial jump in reliability, power and efficiency and right now I don´t think Honda is ready to do that even with the big improvement showed until now. Additional to that, I have big question marks for how good the Red Bull chassis and aero will be next year and subsequent years after the design structure of RB started the process of replacing the role that Adrian Newey has been doing for the last years in Red Bull.

gofast182

I'm not suggesting it is/would be done because they are definitely switching to Honda, I think it is/would be done because they need to de-risk whatever they do next season. All options need to be explored; the stakes for a team like Red Bull are even higher than McLaren at this point.

Big Tea

maguetox wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 21:03
gofast182 wrote:
blueytoo wrote:
The only way that I see a Red Bull Honda for 2019 is if Honda have a big and sustancial jump in reliability, power and efficiency and right now I don´t think Honda is ready to do that even with the big improvement showed until now. Additional to that, I have big question marks for how good the Red Bull chassis and aero will be next year and subsequent years after the design structure of RB started the process of replacing the role that Adrian Newey has been doing for the last years in Red Bull.

Have Renault not told RBR they will not supply their engines next year?
If Merc, Ferrari and Renault will not supply engines, the agreed rule is that the maker with the lowest load takes up the slack. Honda currently only supply 1 team, so unless there are 3 engine deals on the cards, its Honda that will fill the gap anyway. It looks like a done deal despite what RBR would have chosen just because it is the only option.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ivanlesk

gofast182 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 21:15
I'm not suggesting it is/would be done because they are definitely switching to Honda, I think it is/would be done because they need to de-risk whatever they do next season. All options need to be explored; the stakes for a team like Red Bull are even higher than McLaren at this point.
Are thy? Why?

maguetox

Big Tea wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 21:30
maguetox wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

If Merc, Ferrari and Renault will not supply engines, the agreed rule is that the maker with the lowest load takes up the slack. Honda currently only supply 1 team, so unless there are 3 engine deals on the cards, its Honda that will fill the gap anyway. It looks like a done deal despite what RBR would have chosen just because it is the only option.
Renault gave to RBR a date line, if I´m not wrong May, to decide if they want to use their PU for next year, but Horner said they have before the summer break to decide, and if they demand before the FIA to use the Renault unit for next year, Renault will have to give it to them, they have no choice. So RBR Honda for 2019 is not a done deal.

Marti_EF3

I think they are waiting for the engine upgrade on Canada, and how it works, before making any decisions. Renault can say what they want, but the FIA gives more time to say what engine will be on 2019

Big Tea

maguetox wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 16:42
Big Tea wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 21:30
maguetox wrote:

Renault gave to RBR a date line, if I´m not wrong May, to decide if they want to use their PU for next year, but Horner said they have before the summer break to decide, and if they demand before the FIA to use the Renault unit for next year, Renault will have to give it to them, they have no choice. So RBR Honda for 2019 is not a done deal.
You are right, its a May deadline.

This article on it does not make them look friends though

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13456 ... a-decision

ivanlesk

Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 16:45
I think they are waiting for the engine upgrade on Canada, and how it works, before making any decisions. Renault can say what they want, but the FIA gives more time to say what engine will be on 2019
I must say that I don't understand you (part with Renault and FIA). Could you please elaborate more?

Marti_EF3

ivanlesk wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 16:55
Marti_EF3 wrote:
I must say that I don't understand you (part with Renault and FIA). Could you please elaborate more?
Maybe i'm wrong, but I mean, that May it's not the deadline FIA gives to the teams to decide their engine, right?? So Renault can simply say at May, that they don't want to suply to RBR?

ivanlesk

Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:01
ivanlesk wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Maybe i'm wrong, but I mean, that May it's not the deadline FIA gives to the teams to decide their engine, right?? So Renault can simply say at May, that they don't want to suply to RBR?
Last year FIA deadline for 2018 engine was in may. FIA requires that till that time everyone has secured their engine for next season.
So if RB and Renault have contract at that time, Renault is obligated to deliver engine to RB for next season.
So if Renault and RB don't get agreement at that point Renault is not obligated to make engines for RB. If RB (or any team) at doesn't have EM at that point FIA will "force" EM with least customers (Honda) to sell engines to RB.

IMO RB will probably get contract with Renault in may, and if they decide to go with Honda later in season they can, but probably will cost them more money (contract obligations to Renault).

I'm really looking forward to see what will Renault do in May.

Big Tea

Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:01
ivanlesk wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
From the article linked above

Abiteboul confirmed Red Bull only had to commit to Renault by that date, not necessarily finalise details of a new contract.

"I guess that will be the baseline for any discussion," he added.

So it is 'open to translation' I suppose

Appendix 9 reads
a) As part of the homologation procedure of Appendix 4 of the Sporting Regulations, any Power Unit Manufacturer wishing to supply power units to a team must :

i) notify in writing the FIA of its intention to do so no later than 6 May (or such other date as agreed in writing between all of the Power Unit Manufacturers and the FIA)

[Note: 1 January in 2017].....