Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Post by Big Tea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am

LM10 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 am
NL_Fer wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 pm
Jokeri wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:25 pm

If it's oil that's burning, why the smoke is white and not blue?

Burn little oil, blue smoke
Burn allot of oil, white smoke.
What is "little" and "a lot of" oil? If we consider 0.6 l as little and we don't see any smoke on other cars, shouldn't Ferrari then be using a hell of an amount of oil?

What's more, the amount and color of the smoke was the same in testing already. Why would they use much oil in testing? Same goes for free practice on race weekends when the engines are turned down. Still the same smoke.

Also, it would not be intelligent from Ferrari to make such big smoking visible if it came only from burning oil. They would have looked for another solution, thinking the smoke would cause a stir and make others investigate it precisely.
It's almost like its a distraction to take peoples attention away from something else, isnt it :mrgreen:
Can I make a 3D printer on my 3D printer?

PhillipM

Post by PhillipM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Or they just overfill the oil so it smokes every time it goes out so people don't notice it suddenly smoking in the race and qualifying and get suspicious.

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:57 pm

PhillipM wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm
Or they just overfill the oil so it smokes every time it goes out so people don't notice it suddenly smoking in the race and qualifying and get suspicious.
Anyone know how the oil use is checked? You say overfill, (I suspect you jest, but good point) but at what point are they allowed to 'top up the fluids" before it is re-measured.

I am reasonably sure there is not a line on the tank or dipstick and it is checked against that at race end.
If there is a set amount 'out in the system' but at X revs the flow exceeds the return pipe there would indeed be a way to 'encourage' oil into places it is not allowed. Hot fluids expand, and if they will not fit into the original space, where do they go?

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Good ol weight measurments. You measure the weight of the car, and the weight of oil and all the other fluids, once they're accounted for, any difference in weight can give you a very accurate picture of the amount of oil burned. It's partly the same reason they specify weight of fuel instead of volume. They could just as easily say have a 33 gallon tank max.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:22 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:20 pm
Good ol weight measurments. You measure the weight of the car, and the weight of oil and all the other fluids, once they're accounted for, any difference in weight can give you a very accurate picture of the amount of oil burned.
But how are they sure the right % is oil?
They are allowed to top up fluids, yes? so half a ltr in either the coolant or oil will weigh .5 :twisted:
(edit. or close enough)

godlameroso

Post by godlameroso » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Big Tea wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:22 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Good ol weight measurments. You measure the weight of the car, and the weight of oil and all the other fluids, once they're accounted for, any difference in weight can give you a very accurate picture of the amount of oil burned.
They are allowed to top up fluids, yes? so half a ltr in either the coolant or oil will weigh .5 :twisted:
(edit. or close enough)
Are you suggesting that Ferrari has leaky head gasket, and the secret sauce is in the coolant?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 pm
Big Tea wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
(edit. or close enough)
Are you suggesting that Ferrari has leaky head gasket, and the secret sauce is in the coolant?
First people were suggesting no oil rings and now leaky head gaskets... haha there is a lot of crack being smoked on this forum...

NL_Fer

Post by NL_Fer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Did anybody notice the constant fume down the exhaust in Bahrain after dawn? Is that the crankcase vapour blowing out the vent?

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
(edit. or close enough)
No, put simply I wondered how they know much of the weight is oil.
For instance a a car weighs 728kg (plus driver)when it leaves the weighing garage. It burns 1ltr of oil during the race, and (say) 1 ltr of coolant. .5ltr of oil is added to the system and 1.5ltr added to the coolant and it weighs 728kg when checked post race.
How does anyone know?

Not a suggestion it is being done, just wondering how it can be checked.

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Big Tea wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

(edit. or close enough)
For instance a a car weighs 728kg (plus driver)when it leaves the weighing garage. It burns 1ltr of oil during the race, and (say) 1 ltr of coolant. .5ltr of oil is added to the system and 1.5ltr added to the coolant and it weighs 728kg when checked post race.
How does anyone know?

They do not top up the fluids post race.
The car must meet weight post race "as is"
So they need to account for any weight lost during the race from both driver and car when adding balast to the car to be at the minimum weight post race.
This is why you see drivers being told to pick up rubber from the edge of the track - a little insurance against being underweight.

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm
godlameroso wrote:

How does anyone know?

They do not top up the fluids post race.
The car must meet weight post race "as is"
So they need to account for any weight lost during the race from both driver and car when adding balast to the car to be at the minimum weight post race.
This is why you see drivers being told to pick up rubber from the edge of the track - a little insurance against being underweight.
You are correct. My mistake, I thought fluids were allowed to be 'topped up' to meet the minimum weight, but
(29.1 d)
...No substance may be added to, placed on, or removed from a car after it has been
selected for weighing or has finished the race or during the weighing procedure. (Except
by a scrutineer when acting in his official capacity).

Sorry

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm

No need to apologize my friend.
There are so many rules it’s difficult to keep track of them all.

Big Tea

Post by Big Tea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

MrPotatoHead wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 pm
No need to apologize my friend.
There are so many rules it’s difficult to keep track of them all.
Cheers.

Erm, the drivers drinks bott, never mind I quit :D

johnny comelately

Post by johnny comelately » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 am

With the offshore powerboats they are weighed by the crane as they are lifted out and some teams running close to the wind on weight wet the slings to help.

ScrewCaptain27

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Haas VF-18 packaging. Very similar radiator layout to SF70-H and VF-17. (Via F1i.com)
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian