2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

McL-H wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:52
Why spread this news? Why build up big expectations, yet again? Maybe for once after 3 years of misery, it would be wise to shut up and let the results speak come Barcelona. I foresee high expectations with (again...) a disappointing result. Bring a new car to Spain, and when you can finally deliver, come up with this story. Just quit with the empty talk!!
I was quite happy to hear this not sure what your issue. If you have a problem with it. Just pretend you didn't read it.

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

They should of stated this from pre-season. Instead of the wild podiums and wins claims. Press releases should of said, "We are behind schedule, during the first flyways we'll take what we can get. Come Barcelona our 2018 car design will be on track, we hope t bring sufficient performance". Upon results of said updates, would statements about podium/win claims be released, either possible or not.

Too many promises before the season started, and are still continuing. Realism needs to be a trait McLaren need to learn. Just quietly get on with everything, once they are at the front, start stating podiums and wins are possible. Not while they are over 1sec a lap down, Will the update close that gap? That would be one hell of an update. It's probably going to take a few GP's for McLaren to learn the new cars traits and dial the package in, before they can even start extracting the performance out of it.

makecry
makecry

Monster Hesh wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:01
They should of stated this from pre-season. Instead of the wild podiums and wins claims. Press releases should of said, "We are behind schedule, during the first flyways we'll take what we can get. Come Barcelona our 2018 car design will be on track, we hope t bring sufficient performance". Upon results of said updates, would statements about podium/win claims be released, either possible or not.

Too many promises before the season started, and are still continuing. Realism needs to be a trait McLaren need to learn. Just quietly get on with everything, once they are at the front, start stating podiums and wins are possible. Not while they are over 1sec a lap down, Will the update close that gap? That would be one hell of an update. It's probably going to take a few GP's for McLaren to learn the new cars traits and dial the package in, before they can even start extracting the performance out of it.
Should have*. I dont know why people say "should of".

But anyway, 1 second gap is not going to be bridged this season. I dont think McLaren will ever beat RedBull the way things are right now. Eric B just needs to shut up and not say anything. Let results do the talkin.

proteus

Monster Hesh wrote:

I agree with u. Facts need to be straight and pointed out right from the start. 1 second gain against rivals is an ilusion, and top trio is untouchable. Renault is the mark they should set for this season and then aim higher for the next season. The start was good enough, points tally is good and hopefully they stay inside the top 10 with atleast 1 car in majority of races. With the current things going on, Monaco might be their worst race due to their lack of pace in qualifying.

Last year they had a car which had great engine integration with the chasis, and a decent qualifyer, but terrible car for the race, fuel hungry, unreliable and slow. Now they have terrible qualifyer, which somewhat comes alive in the race, still not blistering fast, but fast enough to keep pace with the midfield and overtake due to its kindness with the tyres.

In my opinion this is not a terrible car, but Mclaren seems to make cars which need more horsepower. They jet havent learned how to solve this issue, like Redbull did, on the other hand Renault engine is not as weak as it used to be.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

makecry wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:06
Monster Hesh wrote:

But anyway, 1 second gap is not going to be bridged this season. I dont think McLaren will ever beat RedBull the way things are right now. Eric B just needs to shut up and not say anything. Let results do the talkin.
Off topic, but I think it's because people say "should've", which sort of (or sort've? :shock: ) sounds like "should of".
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:06
Monster Hesh wrote:

@makecry you just "made me cry" with laughter!!! 😂
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McL-H
McL-H

RonDennis wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 18:12
McL-H wrote:
Why spread this news? Why build up big expectations, yet again? Maybe for once after 3 years of misery, it would be wise to shut up and let the results speak come Barcelona. I foresee high expectations with (again...) a disappointing result. Bring a new car to Spain, and when you can finally deliver, come up with this story. Just quit with the empty talk!!
Sorry, but where did you get those 'big expectations' from?

"It's just frustrating to see that we have such performance or pace in the race, and we are unable to unlock yet that performance in qualifying."

Asked if he was excited by what data suggested about the new package, Boullier replied: "No expectations, no need. I've been long enough in F1 to know you just celebrate when you're on the podium, or on top of the podium."
Meanwhile, under Boullier his lead, McLaren is doing nothing else than celebrating podiums before they are achieved. A B-car is very significant. They are now pretending this is going to solve everything. They publicise this to keep fans excited.. like they have done way too often in recent years. Time and time again, people here on the forum build high expectations because of these remarks, and end up disappointed because McLaren did not deliver. It’s not about Boullier having high expectations, it’s about the expectations they build towards the public. This media statement is building those expectations, just look at the comments and see..

B&B should stop spreading empty talk. Talking about a fast car, will not give you one.. you’ll have to build it, see its potential, and then let the results do the talking.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 21:57
RonDennis wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 18:12
McL-H wrote:
Sorry, but where did you get those 'big expectations' from?

"It's just frustrating to see that we have such performance or pace in the race, and we are unable to unlock yet that performance in qualifying."

Asked if he was excited by what data suggested about the new package, Boullier replied: "No expectations, no need. I've been long enough in F1 to know you just celebrate when you're on the podium, or on top of the podium."
Meanwhile, under Boullier his lead, McLaren is doing nothing else than celebrating podiums before they are achieved. A B-car is very significant. They are now pretending this is going to solve everything. They publicise this to keep fans excited.. like they have done way too often in recent years. Time and time again, people here on the forum build high expectations because of these remarks, and end up disappointed because McLaren did not deliver. It’s not about Boullier having high expectations, it’s about the expectations they build towards the public. This media statement is building those expectations, just look at the comments and see..

B&B should stop spreading empty talk. Talking about a fast car, will not give you one.. you’ll have to build it, see its potential, and then let the results do the talking.
Would you prefer a media blackout?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

Should of and now B&B? you guys are too funny today!! :D

B&B is short for bed and breakfast where I live!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

a1b2i3r45

makecry wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 18:40
Andres125sx wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 18:19
About the 1 second aero update..... I will be happy with a half of that!!!
It's nothing more than wild speculation. I doubt there is a half a second upgrade coming either.
Whatever the update will be worth, it will be relative to other teams. As they(merc, rb) will bring big updates too. I dont expect mcl to gain more than 3 tenths to the top teams (even that is questionable).

godlameroso

Monster Hesh wrote:

When Force India made a big update it was worth 1.4 seconds, granted I don't expect 1.4 seconds from McLaren, but I do expect a nice step forward. Already the race pace is better than everyone in the midfield, they just can't start where their pace puts them. But if the package gains them .5 or .6 seconds that would let them consistently finish in front of the midfield and let them keep any position they get in the start, even from the leaders.
Saishū kōnā

techman
techman

it will be interesting what sort of a step mclaren can make with new aero. They are now talking about their car being draggy , which i knew a long time ago but at least they now are trying to rectify their problems without blaming anyone, so that a positive step. We know they like to boast and talk about getting podiums this season. so yes its better they keep quiet and deliver on track(under promise and overachieve). By canada everyone would have made a step. the pecking order could be different

trinidefender
trinidefender

I see far more exaggeration of statements and quotes taken out of context on this forum than I do by McLaren. It seems some crap click bait journalist takes a vague statement, trumps it up, posts it on any random site, it gets posted here, gets trumped up even more and then doesn't come true....people proceed to whine and cry about McLaren over promising and under delivering.

Wash rinse repeat.

RonDennis
RonDennis

trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 01:17
I see far more exaggeration of statements and quotes taken out of context on this forum than I do by McLaren. It seems some crap click bait journalist takes a vague statement, trumps it up, posts it on any random site, it gets posted here, gets trumped up even more and then doesn't come true....people proceed to whine and cry about McLaren over promising and under delivering.

Wash rinse repeat.
Exactly, I have seen several interviews with Alonso, Boullier and Brown in the last few months and they were all pretty realistic.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Most of these podiums/wins claims are media based. Mclaren's attitude was mostly stable and calm. Media and some individuals created an unrealistic target and condition, allowing people to blame Mclaren or bash them unfairly. "they can't blame Honda anymore" , "they don't have anywhere to hide now" and stuff. It was and still is very clear that Honda engines Mclarens used was underperforming and was a major factor for their unsuccessful era.