2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Webber2011

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

LM10 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 11:48
Do you think that Mercedes' concept is aggressive in a way that they have a much reduced working range of tyres? Did they kind of sacrifice a wide window in which the tyres work to have a big pure performance and solving the tyre problem would decrease this performance?
I think you may be onto something there mate 😉
I wondered a similar thing but didn't know how to put it into words.

I'm sure someone here knows more than me, soI'm hoping to learn.
What part of the car influences tyre wear the most ?

I know there's a myriad of things that all need to combine in this era, so be gentle with your replies, but is there really any one area that is the most important these days ?

To me it's very hard to separate PU from suspension from aero from chassis etc as to which is King ?

Cheers,
Simo'

F1Krof

Again I'm baffled from the lack of developments they (didn't) bring. At least nothing visible. My guess is that they've already admitted last year that they very late on the new car (now W09), I must think they are trying to run the first few races and see them as they go and try and probably learn.

I'm (hoping) thinking that they will bring substantial upgrades to Barcelona (I don't believe though). Otherwise it seems like we have a reverse of Ferrari from last year. Ferrari was very strong on Australia, but then suddenly Mercedes sprung in performance in other races. Now it is the other way around.
Wroom wroom

digitalrurouni

It's all too early in the season to say Merc has no answer. Even last year they only gathered momentum as the season progressed. It's great to see Ferrari kicking some butt though. They really have caught up and exceeded Mercedes as far as I am concerned as a team and with their hardware. Mercedes seems to be playing it super safe - 'prescriptive' is the word I am looking for with their strategies. It's like they want to win the SLIGHTEST of margins not taking in to account any anomalies that can take place in a race at any time. Seems to me like they are saving their PUs. Seems all across the board Merc powered cars are suffering.

Justthatek

https://youtu.be/d2ntwbJifxw

I still think they should of pitted they need to be as ruthless as Ferrari and RB in their strategies

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sierra117

Could it be, once again, their sidepod design? Don't all those small vortex generators reduce the quality of air as it goes over the rear of the car?
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

NL_Fer

Webber2011 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 13:18
LM10 wrote:
Do you think that Mercedes' concept is aggressive in a way that they have a much reduced working range of tyres? Did they kind of sacrifice a wide window in which the tyres work to have a big pure performance and solving the tyre problem would decrease this performance?

I know there's a myriad of things that all need to combine in this era, so be gentle with your replies, but is there really any one area that is the most important these days ?

To me it's very hard to separate PU from suspension from aero from chassis etc as to which is King ?

Cheers,
Simo'
You have to think about how the suspension dynamicly alters the wheels alignment during acceleration, breaking cornering etc. They can’t have active suspension, but nothing prevents them of the alignment being a little flexible.

I remember Mercedes gained allot in 2013/2014 with the way the upper arms of the rear were mounted to the gearbox. Before there was a tradeoff between grip or wear, after the new mounting they could more of both.

Webber2011

NL_Fer wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 01:33
Webber2011 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 13:18
LM10 wrote:

Cheers,
Simo'
You have to think about how the suspension dynamicly alters the wheels alignment during acceleration, breaking cornering etc. They can’t have active suspension, but nothing prevents them of the alignment being a little flexible.

I remember Mercedes gained allot in 2013/2014 with the way the upper arms of the rear were mounted to the gearbox. Before there was a tradeoff between grip or wear, after the new mounting they could more of both.

So in your opinion it's definitely suspension that has the biggest effect on tyres.
Makes sense when it's basically the last line of defence, and probably the only thing that really moves before the contact patch.

Once you have decided on the design of your suspension, it's a lot of work to change during the season though right ?

godlameroso

Changing the suspension pick up points isn't easy but some have a easier time than others, rear suspension sometimes requires a new transmission case, but some teams have their cases with the ability to move the upper wishbone.
Saishū kōnā

Brenton

I used to think that most aspects of how suspension affects tire wear would be determined by setup rather than design. Is that maybe not the case?

I don't know if suspension designs are made with particular setups in mind. By setup I mean the quickly changeable aspects like shock compression and rebound settings, roll bar stiffness, tire pressure, etc..

I'd assumed that suspension design was mostly affecting aerodynamics rather than the suspension performance itself, but is this very wrong? (Where performance is determined by setup settings rather than design)

NL_Fer

Think of the alignment of the wheel to track surface. Under movement of the car, like roll, heave, bounce, etc the alignment is changing from the given setup. The design of the suspension can alter the behaviour of the wheel-alignment during racing a car around the track.

Another thing:

https://www.sport24.co.za/Motorsport/sy ... w-20180425
“If you look back at the recent history of Mercedes, one thing that they've never quite got on top of is tyre management,” said Symonds via Motorsport Week.

“We saw it a lot in the pre-hybrid era when they didn't have the engine advantage they enjoy now.

“Then, if they didn't get their tyre quite right, they didn't have great races. I think things were masked from 2014 to 2016, simply because they had this big power advantage.
Not quit right. I still believe Mercedes is the best on the harder compound, they always have been. Maybe now Redbull is beter on soft and Ferrari is quickest on a single lap.

In both first races Vettel was very lucky. In China Bottas beat Vettel before all went wrong. I guess they were just unlucky in first races.

dren

Mercedes has had issues with the softer tires and all of the tires this year went softer, yet.
Honda!

dans79

dren wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 20:04
Mercedes has had issues with the softer tires and all of the tires this year went softer, yet.
The question is what type of issue they are having. Are they getting to much heat in the tires, not enough etc.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

dans79 wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 20:08
dren wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 20:04
The question is what type of issue they are having. Are they getting to much heat in the tires, not enough etc.
Based on Toto's statement, a few days back - When they get their front tyres in right temperature window, the rears are falling out and when they get the rears, the fronts are falling out. The falling out of the window, sometimes is over the temperature range and sometimes under. So, it's not a straight forward situation to manage.

When they get all the four tyres in the right temperature zone, they get a Melbourne like qualifying!

F1Krof

I honestly believe that they have no clue as to why they're slow. They're trying to blame the tires but honestly I don't think the issue solely lies on the tires. They've fallen back because they didn't bring anything significantly new besides trimmed sidepods. It's the same car from last year with a bit of tweaks here and there, while the opposition really inovated. Look at Red Bull and Ferrari's aggressive design. Merc's so dull in this area, they're missing quite a lot. If I was them, I'd scratch this season and fully commit to 2019 with different design.
Wroom wroom

ivanlesk

F1Krof wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 11:42
I honestly believe that they have no clue as to why they're slow. They're trying to blame the tires but honestly I don't think the issue solely lies on the tires. They've fallen back because they didn't bring anything significantly new besides trimmed sidepods. It's the same car from last year with a bit of tweaks here and there, while the opposition really inovated. Look at Red Bull and Ferrari's aggressive design. Merc's so dull in this area, they're missing quite a lot. If I was them, I'd scratch this season and fully commit to 2019 with different design.
why would any title contender do that after just few races?