2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
shotzski

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

skwdenyer wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 02:40
Joe has suggested today that Goss is not the mystery TD in question, FWIW.
Can you post a link to that article? Thanks

amho

Does anyone knows what was McLaren’s tweaks to gain top speed? Alonso said that changes didn't compromise slow sectors peeformance.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Singabule
Singabule

amho wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 08:36
Does anyone knows what was McLaren’s tweaks to gain top speed? Alonso said that changes didn't compromise slow sectors peeformance.
I think internal cooling tweak to smoother airflow or increase cooling capacity. It is normal since they are very Green about renault engine. They also try to reduce drag by remove vortex generator on Van sidepod, resulting in undrivable car

mclaren111

2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29:
Juzh » 27 Apr 2018, 18:23

https://streamable.com/glk6g

Damn, we are slow in a straight line speed.

Not so sure about slow speed corners / traction either.

Any info on how we performed in slow sections ??

Xero

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 10:50

Just looks like a normal slip stream to me, nothing alarming about it.

Alonso Fan

Xero wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 11:49
mclaren111 wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 10:50

Just looks like a normal slip stream to me, nothing alarming about it.
I think when Alonso had a tow in Friday practice he got up to around 329kph but he was further back than the red bull I think and hence caught the tow late

DRS is going to be mighty here. I'm not sure how we'll fare
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

McL-H
McL-H

Another horrible qualifying. Car’s only advantage is how it handles it tyres, that’s why race pace is ok. Speed is something the team should be ashamed off. This proofs lack of pace wasn’t only Honda’s fault, with such a draggy car or “superb chassis” (whatever).

And now we’ve had 3 miserable years, 4th is ongoing.. Honda is improving rapidly, and Red Bull will be the one taking advantage of all the years McLaren invested in this engine. Meanwhile, they drive a slow Renault.. being 1 second slower than the top Renault car.
#BoullierOut

Xero

Alonso Fan wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 12:20
I think when Alonso had a tow in Friday practice he got up to around 329kph but he was further back than the red bull I think and hence caught the tow late

I don't think the straight line speed deficit is as bad here. The work they've done to reduce drag has helped a bit. The pace could be there to sneak a point a or two, but I'm expecting some drama. Crashes and safety cars are a certainty, let's hope McLaren can stay out of trouble and capitalise again.

Alonso Fan

McL-H wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 12:41
Another horrible qualifying. Car’s only advantage is how it handles it tyres, that’s why race pace is ok. Speed is something the team should be ashamed off. This proofs lack of pace wasn’t only Honda’s fault, with such a draggy car or “superb chassis” (whatever).

And now we’ve had 3 miserable years, 4th is ongoing.. Honda is improving rapidly, and Red Bull will be the one taking advantage of all the years McLaren invested in this engine. Meanwhile, they drive a slow Renault.. being 1 second slower than the top Renault car.
#BoullierOut
You're asking for Boullier's head again. Let's say if you get it and mclaren stay in the same place. Who's head will you ask for next?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Xero wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 12:42
Alonso Fan wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 12:20

I don't think the straight line speed deficit is as bad here. The work they've done to reduce drag has helped a bit. The pace could be there to sneak a point a or two, but I'm expecting some drama. Crashes and safety cars are a certainty, let's hope McLaren can stay out of trouble and capitalise again.
I agree. Also running in traffic will give them DRS every lap. We know the Mclaren can follow well and keep within that 1 second
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Andres125sx

McL-H wrote:

#BoullierOut
2017 Baku qualifying:
McLaren-Honda: 16th and 19th
STR-Renault: 11th and 12th

2018 Baku qualifying:
McLaren Renault: 13th and 16th
STR-Honda: 17th and 19th

Yes Honda is improving quickly.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop the constant ranting please, it´s boring and tiring

RonDennis
RonDennis

We just have to wait until Spain, if it won't get any better, I'm sure more things will happen.

BrunoH
BrunoH

worried that spain update wont be so big as others will also bring big upgrades.

however the information i had is not only front wing, its the entire front-end plus some upgrades all the way down the car to match the big change at the front /match the new front-end.

im hoping they got it right. because they really need to be able to run wing level and not having such a deficit on top-end and resistance mid-speed up

McL-H
McL-H

Alonso Fan wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 13:12
McL-H wrote:

#BoullierOut
You're asking for Boullier's head again. Let's say if you get it and mclaren stay in the same place. Who's head will you ask for next?
Boullier is responsible for the racing team, and should be butchered for the poor performances of the last few years. He has not delivered, clearly.
Replace him with someone good and no one else has to be butchered. I don’t know who.. maybe someone who has lead a big historic team since the 70’s and has won 8 constructor titles.. but hell, where would you find such a guy?

Boullier is not only hurting McLaren’s performance.. he is destroying the company’s image. McLaren is on track to become Williams 2.0, proces is almost finished and steps need to be taken quickly to turn things around.

Btw, Ojjeh Mansour does not walk freely away from the current situation either. He has been at fault of this entire situation in the first place.. But you can’t fire a wealthy owner.

McL-H
McL-H

Andres125sx wrote:
29 Apr 2018, 13:32
McL-H wrote:

#BoullierOut
2017 Baku qualifying:
McLaren-Honda: 16th and 19th
STR-Renault: 11th and 12th

2018 Baku qualifying:
McLaren Renault: 13th and 16th
STR-Honda: 17th and 19th

Yes Honda is improving quickly.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop the constant ranting please, it´s boring and tiring
You know very well that doesn’t say anything about Honda’s improvement (or lack there of as you state). Midfield is much closer than last year, and due to that problems as STR suffered in Q1 will be deathly..

I will keep posting my opinion. You call it ranting, I just voice what I see is wrong with the team I love. No need pretending everything is going great and things will be solved soon. McLaren should be fighting Ferrari’s.